Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 9 - Threshold Preview

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Default Windows 9 - Threshold Preview

Windows new operating system, possibly being called 8.2 or 9 - codename Threshold, is now being previewed on several websites.

Due to be released in 2015, it is rumoured it may appear in late 2014 to try to win over the Win 7 users that didn't take too kindly to Win 8. Microsoft are making the new operating environment user friendly with an interface that will work differently based on hardware type. Included is a mini start menu & customisable layout.

Apart from the Mini Start menu, Windows 9 will be customised for different types of hardware devices. Mobile devices will have an app tile layout by default for optimum touch input, while desktop and laptop users will have the traditional Windows layout by default - with the added Mini Start menu. As for hybrid devices like the Surface Pro, it will boot to a desktop layout by default if a keyboard is attached. Otherwise, it will boot to app tiles for touch input.

In other words, Windows Threshold will look and work differently based on hardware type. The overall goal however is to win back Microsoft fans who didn't like the usability mistakes of Windows 8. Although Microsoft is still developing Windows 8 and will even release a final software update sometime this year, the company is expected to deliver a public preview of Threshold in autumn 2014.
    Read more here

EDIT: Sources claim that Windows Threshold will be a free upgrade for Windows 8.1 customers and possibly even Windows 7 Service Pack 1 customers.
    Well I'll believe that when I see it.
    Last edited by Tiny; 03-07-14 at 10:27 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

cmangle (03-07-14),marty 17 (03-07-14),OSIRUS (03-07-14),tristen (04-07-14)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Boy, that was a short lifespan! Oct 2012 to Oct 2014!

RIP Win 8, 8.1, 8.2?

Would like to see a user friendly OS that lasted as long as Win XP, 13+ years!

This paying for a new "IMPROVED" OS every 2-3-4 years is for the birds! I guess corporate profits rule the roost!

Banned

Thanks

oops dupe post!
    Last edited by cmangle; 03-07-14 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Microsoft has a reputation for messing up a new OS so the customer can do the error and problem reporting,
    it would be actually easier to win customers by providing a simple to use OS.
    With each new release they mess it up a bit more instead of taking the good stuff and making it better.
    Win 3.11 and XP managed to get quite good feedbacks, Vista is not worth mentioning, Win7 was only usable after massive fixes.
    Win8 was rushed as MS realised they missed the train to reach the tablet and mobile world, so the customer got fooled once again into thinking new is better.
    Some fools finally jumped onto Win8 (which is still far from beein a good and stable OS) and now we realise it was all for nothing again.
    Maybe with Win12 we might finally see a MS prodcut that actually does what the user wants instead doing what MS forces on us.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Rumors about Windows 9 already started started in February, 2014, and perhaps earlier. No one currently definitely knows something correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Some fools finally jumped onto Win8 (which is still far from beein a good and stable OS)
    Must admit I'm one of these fools. Currently runing 8.1 Update 1. Only can say, Windows 8.x for me is the most stable Microsoft OS I ever had installed: Never any crashes or other unexpected abnormalities.

If I remember the days of Windows XP, then only with shudder, because BSODs were constantly given. This ended with Windows Vista. Not to forget, Windows 7 and Windows 8.x are built on the OS kernel introduced with Windows Vista.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 03-07-14 at 05:26 PM.

Banned

Thanks

jwoegerbauer what are you runing win8.1 on? desktop/laptop/tablet?

oh and downunder lets not forget the real brainchild called win me!

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    jwoegerbauer what are you runing win8.1 on? desktop/laptop/tablet?
    Laptop (Lenovo G505s )

My 7'' "phablet" is based on Android 4, of course. My 7'' car navigator unit is based on Windows CE 6.0. My ...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Must admit I'm one of these fools. Currently runing 8.1 Update 1. Only can say, Windows 8.x for me is the most stable Microsoft OS I ever had installed: Never any crashes or other unexpected abnormalities.

If I remember the days of Windows XP, then only with shudder, because BSODs were constantly given. This ended with Windows Vista. Not to forget, Windows 7 and Windows 8.x are built on the OS kernel introduced with Windows Vista.
    I'll have to agree with you there, Win8-8.1 & update1 are the most stable OS I have run on my PC. Never crashes.
    It is a beefy self built PC though with all components Win8 compatible.
    EDIT: I did have a hiccup after the last update which caused it to restart at random just after being shutdown, which went away after a week.
    I did skip Win7 so can't comment on that.
    Vista can still be a pain in the arse thou as it is for me at the moment trying to get it stable on a new AFHD on my VAIO Laptop. More on that later in another thread.
    Last edited by Tiny; 03-07-14 at 06:11 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (03-07-14)

Thanks

Maybe someone more keen in the lates MS products can clear this up:
    Did some reading on the net and somewhere on the way I stumbled onto something weird.
    Is it true that the new Windows will only work with certified hardware in terms of motherboard and CPU?
    I mean security is well and good, but I fail to see the point in having a totally DRM friendly system if I don't need it.

How will the user ever get used to Windows if it constantly changes so much?.....

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I have found W7 to be the most stable system yet. I admit that I have had some limited exposure to W8 and it does look interesting, not that I'm a great fan of Metro, and, of the machines that I have been requested to fix, all have asked for the "old" start button back. Since SP 3 I've not had any stability issues with XP (5 machines still running that, only 'cause that is what I have licenses for). My Lappy and Video server have both run W7 (Ultimate and Home Premium) from early in the W7 development cycle with hardly a problem, I only recently re-installed my lappy as I had to "upgrade" it from an old working beastie (my screen, usb ports and keyboard were worn out, literally). Never had a major issue, 'cept it would not recognise an old Logitech Quickcam Express purchased back in the day when W98 was still king, (Actually Missed Edition had been around for some time but.....say no more).

Banned

Thanks

In June, 2014 Windows as a whole had a market share of 90.99%, whereas Apple OS X only had a market share of 7.39%. Knowing this can't understand how this could become true, this because now since years it always get reported by PC magazines and Windows forums that Windows (no matter what release) per se is shit ...

Windows - since it arrived the world of PC - is the one and only modern OS that "easily" at any time can be configured by John Average matching his needs; quite reverse to OS X or Linux. This valuable possibility to tweak/hack Windows (all releases!) for me is the main reason why Windows as OS got a such bad reputation. In my eyes it is caused by all the idiots around who think they can do it better than Microsoft themselves. They all forget an OS always is made for particular hardware, what by nature is restricted to itself. Which owner of a Ferrari / Lamborghini would tweak/hack (to use computer jargon) his vehicle? Probably none. But most buyers of a Windows PC buys a cheap model, with minimalistic hardware. Later on they detect this was the wrong decision, they begin to change the existing hardware and the running Windows system by themselves. Father forgive them, for they do not know what they do (Luke 23:34)

How will the user ever get used to Windows if it constantly changes so much?.....
    You better should have asked: Why is the most part of Windows users not willing to accept changes, introduced by Microsoft, of this OS. Are they all brain dead, or do they have another mental disease?
    Most people today replace their 2-yrs-old car with the next model that came out, thus also must become familiar with the new dashboard and the many re-ordered switches, etc,pp. And they do so without complaining.

EDIT:

I am neither an employee of MS nor otherwise affiliated with them. I only expressed my opinion as normal PC owner using Windows OS since it first time was introduced by MS.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 03-07-14 at 10:19 PM.

Banned

Thanks

I'll admit initially with WIN XP there was the BSOD, but as Isemmens said above the last 4-5-6 years of Win XP I have not had any BSOD and if so, it was virus/malware related! Eset and MalwareBytes solved that!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

I only just moved myself to win 8.1 a couple of months ago after my mother in law needed help with her brand new laptop that had win 8 on it. Like others I hated it initially but as I got her sorted out and got used to it I think it's the best windows I've ever had.
    That said, windows 9 already?!

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (03-07-14)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkhannah View Post
    Might be this feature will be incorporated in next Windows version, as shown by Microsoft Research: Interactive live tiles.

Shortened version:

Full length version:
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 03-07-14 at 11:03 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (04-07-14),Tiny (04-07-14)

Thanks

Have used W8 since early 2013 when it came on a new laptop. It was a steaming pile of turd back then, but has improved somewhat with recent updates. Not a steaming pile in the sense that it was unstable because it's been pretty solid saving a few network related issues, but more in the UI sense. Metro can quite simply disappear for all I care. My laptop is a laptop not a bloody tablet. I had W7 on my previous machine and that never failed me either. No BSOD or other like issues. Vista before it? Bloaty pig.

Having said all that, if I didn't have to use Windows applications for work, I'd use Linux pretty much exclusively. Most of the machines in the house run various flavours of Ubuntu or Debian. More to play with and more to set up but so much more control and security.

Thanks

It is not about users too dumb to accept changes
    But basically with every new release the system is changed completely, nothing stays in the same place.
    Only due to user pressure the old look and feel was added as an option/tweak.
    Funny enough though that most windows users accept Win XP and 7 as usable and stable (after all the updates and fixes of course).
    I do see the need to create an OS that is uable on PC, Laptop and Tablet, but I don't see why the user has to be the guinney pig.
    Beta testers do a good job but they can't force MS to create something that "feels good from the start".
    My little niece has no problems juggling through an Android or Fruit phone, but does not even want to try my PC with Win7.
    On a touchscreen laptop thingy at a friend she plays happy with Win8 on the screen.

Give the user an OS that works as advertised, don't re-invent the wheel but use what users liked on the previous version and make it better.
    Sadly for MS better usually means "Make it in a way that it is hard to change from a previous OS".
    One reason could be that a user simply gives up with the confusion after a while and forgets what was good on his previous OS.
    Especially older people that only use a PC for the basics have a hard time adjusting to a new system, while an update to the next Android version usually only causes minor adjustment times from the user.

The broadspread acceptance of Windows is mainly due to the marketing.
    When it came out there was nothing else, so businesses and privates all used the same.
    Win 3.11 was famous for being stable enough to survive a cold shut down without any harm - something never seen in other operating system at that time.
    Windows NT and the server versions were based for a long time on the same internal working, it only had massive overhaul with Win2000.
    The computer industry made big leaps and soon the good OS was no longer good enough to be used - like putting an old traktor engine in a new Ferrari.
    XP was the next good step in the right direction and is refected by the wide acceptance in industry and private sectors.
    Although it suffered massively in the start MS did the right ting and got it worked out.
    changes to the actual look and feel until now were at a modest level and adjusting easy.
    Everything that came after that is in my opinion the attempt to provide an OS at times where others already moved ahead in terms of being user friendly.
    Without the winning success of the early Windows versions and the great support and marketing for the industry MS would be long forgotten by now.
    MS was too slow for the mobile phone sector and could not really gain any big value for this segment.
    Same story for the tablet market, MS stated in the beginning of tablets they would never make an OS for a tablet as a tablet won't catch on as a replacement for a proper PC or laptop.

I grew up with PC's at times when they were still produced by Commodore and had less power than a modern calculator.
    Some had the VC20 or later the C64, other the Atari models and noone would have swapped LOL
    I think the whole Macintosh thing never had a good chance as hey started out for the upper class and high use with similar pricings.
    In the beginnings MS and MAC had both good chances, but while Apple decided to provide something in an all include pack, MS stayed in the garage and forced the actual PC revolution by making everything modular.
    For the users the decision was easy, especially for the industry as support for MS was better and more custom systems were possible.
    Still remember the times where a 20kB memory extension was priced like a mid range PC system today and when you actually bought a mathematical Co-processor if you needed to faster calculations.
    At that time the "internet" for us was accessed directly with an accoustic coupler and your house phone, dial in and use the information or files.
    Or the first programs to convert your CD's into MP'3's, noone cared about a copy right back then...
    2 or three hours to convert a single disk and to be able to listen to a crappy sound ROFL
    I survived all of that, so with a bit of luck I will get old enough to see another good and stable OS from Mr. Gates, not a pensioner yet, but he better hurries up

Banned

Thanks

It is not about users too dumb to accept changes
    But basically with every new release the system is changed completely, nothing stays in the same place.
    Only due to user pressure the old look and feel was added as an option/tweak.
    This only is true if you are speaking of Windows's UI (AKA shell), not of the Windows's operating system (OS) itself. The default Windows UI is replaceable, alternatives exist: search WEB for "alternative shells for Windows"

Give the user an OS that works as advertised, don't re-invent the wheel but use what users liked on the previous version and make it better.
    Sadly for MS better usually means "Make it in a way that it is hard to change from a previous OS".
    One reason could be that a user simply gives up with the confusion after a while and forgets what was good on his previous OS.
    Especially older people that only use a PC for the basics have a hard time adjusting to a new system, while an update to the next Android version usually only causes minor adjustment times from the user.
    See above. Simply don't make the mistake to confuse OS and its UI.

with a bit of luck I will get old enough to see another good and stable OS from Mr. Gates, not a pensioner yet, but he better hurries up
    AFAIK, Bill Gates handed over the CEO position on January 13, 2000, to Steve Ballmer, an old college friend of Gates and employee of the company since 1980, creating a new position for himself as Chief Software Architect. Bill Gates retired from his role as Chief Software Architect on June 27, 2008, while retaining other positions related to the company in addition to being an advisor for the company on key projects. As I've read Ian Moulster currently is Microsoft's Windows Product Manager. But this might be wrong.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 04-07-14 at 01:37 AM. Reason: all and nothing

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkhannah View Post
    I only just moved myself to win 8.1 a couple of months ago after my mother in law needed help with her brand new laptop that had win 8 on it. Like others I hated it initially but as I got her sorted out and got used to it I think it's the best windows I've ever had.
    If it is the BEST windows ever, why are they replacing it so soon? Only Vista had a shorter lifespan, (by just a few months) and we know had bad Vista was!

I think there are three candidates for P!$$ poor MS Windows OS's, Windows ME, Windows Vista, and Windows 8, 8.1, 8.2! You need to realize Win 8 was so bad (for whatever reason) that most OEM Desktop/laptop mfrs. LOST 25% in sales AFTER the release and required installation of Windows 8! Hell for that matter sales of the Sony Vaio laptops dropped so drastically they dropped the complete Vaio line!

So if indeed Windows 8 was so innovative and outstanding in performance explain the conundrum of the Windows 9 release?

"Did Microsoft just admit Windows 8 is its worst operating system ever?"
    hxxp://blogs.computerworld.com/windows/24088/did-microsoft-just-admit-windows-8-worst-operating-system-ever

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Herr Woergerbauer, it seems you are not aware that there are quite a few so called 'power or corporate users' here on the forum.
    These are creative people who need to have hardware attached to their PCs and specially designed software for their applications.
    With every change of Windows compatibility failed for this !
    It therefore does not make them dumb because they can't follow the sheep and use Windows 8

In the past years I have not seen one change since Windows XP that I would classify as an real improvement. I can still render video faster and run more virtual instruments on the same machine running XP than Win7/8. I am talking here real world not bench mark tests.

It seems that all changes are there for the sake of changing things, so consumers are tricked into thinking they are getting every time something better while most are still doing the same that could be done with an XP machine -> social net working, browsing the net, multimedia applications, a bit of word-processing, etc, where I don't see the need for 8 cores and 32GB of ram.

You are right about the GUI…. and that is about the only thing that has practicably and visibly changed + certain security features which are more related to track what the consumer is doing with his computer than actually protecting him.
    DOS -> WIn3..11 -> Win95/98 -> WinXP, those where really exciting great changes, but now they seem to just change their clothes. Whatever they change under the hood does not show improved user performance to me, just less than what I could do before.
    As said i am not using Windows as consumer.
    I am a consumer using Linux and OSX as I find more user-friendly features in these Unix-likes.
    I see no difference in difficulty tweaking Windows and Linux and with OSX I don't even need to tweak anything as it does exactly what I want as a consumer and creator.

I don't expect any different from a Windows 9 other than another different GUI again, yawn!
    Windows has become something like a fashion show and just like the Apple fanboys the sheeple need a new computer and iPhone every year although nothing much really has improved (except removed old bugs, but introduced new bugs) since the last one.

Where do you get the idea that most people buy a new car every two years?
    Is the economy in Germany so fantastic now?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

A lot of people buy new cars every couple of years....in Australia. New cars have never been as affordable as what they are now...we own a 4 year old car and I am kicking myself for not upgrading it at 2 years. But back to computers........

Does anyone think Microsoft would have any market share left if they still had Windows XP as there number 1 operating system ?

Or Apple if the iPhone never updated to a newer model ? You must still have a 90's era Nokia phone nomeat if you think as claimed "nothing much really has improved".

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast