Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 computer needs to turn on by itself

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm with Mysterex, here, just configure uTorrent or whatever you torrent client is (I'm sure others have the facility) to only download during certain hours. My computer rarely gets turned off, and if you must turn the machine off, I'm sure a couple of allnighters won't kill your budget too much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Might quite be.

So the whole point of WOL is to turn your computer on remotely using the network. Obviously if your computer is actually completely off, then there's no way this can work. Thus when modern computers are turned "off", the network card actually remains on, in a (hopefully) low power state, listening for WOL packets.
    Yes, when WOL is enabled, that is exactly how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer
    But everyone here should know that Windows 7 by default also completely powers off the network card, when shutting down the PC, thus the network card no longer remains active. At least that's my experience with Windows 7.
    The setting is controlled by the BIOS, it doesn't care what OS you are running. I've used it with Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, Server 2008 and Linux.

This thread refers to a Windows 7 PC. This in mind I would have expected that you as advanced Windows 7 user (aren't you?) would have pointed out this restricting default Windows 7 behavior, instead of denigrating me. I would have expected that you would have told OP here, that in Windows 7 a user, who wants to successfully enable WOL-feature, also has to configure the network adapter in addition to the BIOS settings.
    I have never had to make a change to a network adapter in Windows 7 to get WOL working, the only time I could see user intervention would be needed to get WOL working is if you where running some generic drivers Windows update provided, instead of the correct drivers provided by the manufacturer. All that has ever been required, is to enable the option in BIOS.

-----------------------

I'm giving up, too.
    You should have done that several posts ago, instead of contributing on a subject you obviously know nothing about.

I wasn't going to bother wasting my time replying again, but it helps nobody to leave incorrect information uncorrected.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dave001 For This Useful Post:

Seymour Butts (07-07-14)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

@Dave001 please skip reading this post. TY

My daughter, who owns an older laptop with Windows 7 installed, only could get WOL working under Windows 7, after we had performed the steps as exemplary described here:

What I'll say: It was indeed the need to explicitly enable WOL for the network adapter.

Might be this information is useful for someones.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 07-07-14 at 04:46 AM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I'm with Mysterex, here, just configure uTorrent or whatever you torrent client is (I'm sure others have the facility) to only download during certain hours. My computer rarely gets turned off, and if you must turn the machine off, I'm sure a couple of allnighters won't kill your budget too much.
    My only concern is leaving a device unattended (fire risk, I'm unlucky)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave001 View Post
    I give up.

Phil doesn't understand the difference between shutdown and sleep, yet still feels the need to reply on the subject.
    jwoegerbauer, doesn't understand how WOL actually works, yet still feels the need to reply on the subject.

Mr 672A, you've got several options to look at, good luck.
    Yeah I'm going to leave the computer turned on.
    Now one more question.
    If the computer is on and idling I have utorrent sitting there waiting on the link and doing nothing and the seeding starts hours later will it start downloading automatically?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

yes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterex View Post
    what model PC are you using - the bios in particular, have a look in power management do you have Resume by Alarm or wake up on RTC options - then set it to start the PC at a particular time...
    The computer is new using a Asrock H87 Performance board, i7 and other.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I agree with Dave001 and mysterex, bios would be the best way. No need to install anything that way.

Do you know how to boot in to it Mr672A ? If not, just yell out and I am sure we can give you directions.
    Yes I just had a look at my Asrock H87 bios and there is no option under power management (hit del) but I have noticed when this puter fires up for one second I notice there are other option by pressing other keys when firing up. I need to read the boards book. The puter is a i7 with this performace board running a GTX 750ti GPU with two drives one SSD and the other a SSHD with 8 gig of Kingston ram and it doesn't hang around when you turn it on.
    For me if the bios option (if it has one) can turn the puter on 5 minutes before its needed and uTorrent does it bit, that will do me as when I come home in the morning one hour later the seeding stops.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    The computer is new using a Asrock H87 Performance board, i7 and other.
    ftp://asrock.cn/manual/Fatal1ty%20H87%20Performance.pdf

page 93/94 of the manual shows the board does have the RTC Alarm Power On - its an option under ACPI Configuration of the UEFI Setup Utility (bios) - you can set it to start up the PC at a particular time using the onboard RTC (Real Time Clock)

and how to enter the UEFI Setup Utility:

This section explains how to use the UEFI

SETUP UTILITY to configure your system. You may run the UEFI SETUP UTILITY
    by pressing <F2> or <Del> right after you power on the computer, otherwise, the Power-On-Self-Test
    (POST) will continue with its test routines. If you wish to enter the UEFI SETUP UTILITY
    after POST, restart the system by pressing <Ctl> + <Alt> + <Delete>, or by pressing the reset button on the system chassis.
    You may also restart by turning the system off and then back on

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mysterex For This Useful Post:

admin (08-07-14),marty 17 (08-07-14),Mr 672A (08-07-14)

Thanks

page 93/94 of the manual shows the board does have the RTC Alarm Power On - its an option under ACPI Configuration of the UEFI Setup Utility (bios) - you can set it to start up the PC at a particular time using the onboard RTC (Real Time Clock)

by pressing <F2> or <Del> right after you power on the computer, otherwise, the Power-On-Self-Test
    (POST) will continue with its test routines. If you wish to enter the UEFI SETUP UTILITY
    after POST, restart the system by pressing <Ctl> + <Alt> + <Delete>, or by pressing the reset button on the system chassis.
    thanks will check pronto!!

Thanks

I am in the fatality UEFI Setup and I have found the RTC alarm power on. It was set at disabled. I clicked it, changed it to enabled and it bought me up a pretty calendar with a pretty clock and I am doing a test run to test start at 2pm this afternoon. Will let you know.

Thanks

I am using uTorrent 3.4.2. I have gone under the options Preferences and under the general tab. I have selected start uTorrent when windows starts, now that does happen but what do you actually set to start the uTorrent itself? I have tested by rebooting uTorrent starts but says that the torrent is stopped and is looking for a manual start. Does this free version have this option?

Just noticed in that option for start u torrent when windows starts next to it it has an UN HIGHLIGHTED option called ASSOCIATED with torrent files
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 08-07-14 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks

leave the torrent downloading then shutdown - it should then resume when windows starts up again

if you manually stop the torrent then you need to manually start it

Thanks

leave the torrent downloading then shutdown - it should then resume when windows starts up again

if you manually stop the torrent then you need to manually start it
    i manually started the torrent, but its not there at the moment as we know. I clicked the red X at the top right corner of the program, the program shut down but I left it running/downloading, rebooted the puter, uTorrent program automatically started but it still stopped.

Thanks

in utorrent preferences - downloads - (when adding torrents section) do you have "Don't Start the Download automatically" ticked or unticked

Thanks

in utorrent preferences - downloads - (when adding torrents section) do you have "Don't Start the Download automatically" ticked or unticked
    I am in preferences, there is no option on the left hand side for downloads. uTorrent version 3.4.2, (build 32126) (32 bit)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    I am in preferences, there is no option on the left hand side for downloads. uTorrent version 3.4.2, (build 32126) (32 bit)
    I found it under the UI settings under when adding torrents, the option is don't start the download automatically and the option is unticked. BTW when I exited the program using red X on the top right hand corner when the torrent was downloading, it got pissed off the next time I restarted it. When I started it, in the status box, instead of showing downloading, it showed checking from 0 to 100% and it took half an hour to do it.

Thanks

sorry its called UI Settings now

Thanks

sorry its called UI Settings now

yes in your option " when adding torrents in Under UI" I have the same as your settings.
    I'm looking a torrent Vuze atm to see if that auto starts

Thanks

it got pissed off the next time I restarted it. When I started it, in the status box, instead of showing downloading, it showed checking from 0 to 100% and it took half an hour to do it.
    yeah its checking each files hash to make sure the downloaded segments are complete

you might need to add a task schedule to gracefully shutdown utorrent before shutting down the pc otherwise it'll check each time

• Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast