Thread: Pics wont 'open' in email.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Pics wont 'open' in email.

I have a friend who regularly sends me the usual crap joke/comedy emails with both text and pictures but recently I havent been able to open any pictures, all I am getting is the character/symbols of the picture instead.
    I noted this morning the word 'imap://' is at the beginning of each one so I was wondering if this is another program which I dont have to open the Emails.
    I dont have MS Office but I have OpenOffice, Adobe and a few others to handle pictures on the computer without any problems from others, just not his.
    Any ideas please?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,075 Times in 6,766 Posts

I'd say the problem is your friend has changed a security setting in their computer, (with or without their knowledge) blocking the images.

Sometimes settings change with updates. (Microsoft is notorious for this)

I've had this issue with different senders as well... all related to settings.

Has your friend changed email program recently?

What email programs are both you and your friend using?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have no idea what he is running but I use WIN8 with both Yahoo browser/mail or IE and both open everything but his.
    The obvious choice is to either ring or email him and ask if he has changed anything at his end as I certainly havent knowingly changed anything here.
    I have a separate issue with neither the Bauhn or Galaxy Tab 3 not opening most pictures in the email programs on them which I have been going to ask about and will do later.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Do these files come with attachments? Are the piccies in the attachments? It may well be one of his settings causing your issues as it only occurs from one sender.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

The clue lurking in post #1 is imap.
    I'll go with with your friend has changed his email client to imap & hasn't set it up correctly or he is forwarding an email from someone else who has done same.

You shouldn't need another email client to open the emails, attachments or inserted pics.
    The one you are using should be good for all but some attachments, that are put in data files by MS Outlook. Probably too much info. Sorry.

Email clients come in many different forms now, POP3, SMPT, IMAP, a quick tutorial is here;
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

You are probably on the money, there, tiny. E-mail clients and servers seem to be the most problematic of any internet service, after Windoze Update, that is .