Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Linux Experience

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    I'd be embarrassed to pass off a chunk of text with so many basic errors as my own.

Basic errors?

Security for a start.
    Off topic but here's good enough. . Don't be fooled into thinking linux is 'safe'.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Off topic but here's good enough. . Don't be fooled into thinking linux is 'safe'.
    No OS on the face of the earth is "safe". Linux is IMHO "safer" than Windows, but my no means is it immune to human ingenuity. In fact, the more popular it becomes, the more security problems I expect to see. As I posted earlier, I am a long term Linux user. It is my os of choice. However, for most users a good version of Windows remains a good choice. By this I mean XP or Windows 7. ME and Vista are abominations. The interface in 8 is annoying. I think Microsoft forgot that most PC's are not tablets and do not have a touchscreen interface. Fortunately this can be remedied. There are, however, many other irritants.

Thanks

Couldn't agree more. linux is often safer, but far from safe. Microsoft has copped a lot of crap over the years for security issue, perhaps justifiably, but it's not only Microsoft that gets fixes wrong.

All up, given the completely insecure base from which Windows sprang, Microsoft has done a pretty amazing job at getting Windows as secure as it is. OTOH, given the fairly secure base from which linux sprang, the linux community has done, IMO, a pretty crap job.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

It looks as though the video card is too old for later versions of Linux to support fully. There are AMD drivers on the website but they do not seem to be compatible with newer versions of Linux. If I could convince Linux to run in "legacy mode" then that might be an option.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Back on the Linux bandwaggon. Got my print server to run fine, even with two screens. I've now got my lappy on Mint (Mate) full time. So far, so good. Came across which gives a good round up of what Linux is and is not.

Thanks

Unfortunatelly, Linux still sucks. As the OP said, there just aren't enough good equivalents of the software already available on Windows - and that's a shame, 'cause the whole open source idea and much of the existing code and solutions are great. For example, Compiz rules. There's nothing else like it. And yet, it was deemed "bad", was left unsupported, and a bunch of projects appeared that promised to replace it but which STILL seem lesser in a direct comparison of features.

OpenOffice and LibreOffice crawl, and there aren't any true alternatives to Photoshop, Premiere, Lightwave 3D, combining a plethora of functions with an intuitive interface. In Linux-lala-land you have to choose between either ease of use or features, you can't find both anywhere, and in some occasions you don't even have that choice (what's an alternative to, say, Blender on Linux, with the same amount of features but an easier or at least different interface? N-O-N-E).

Whenever I gave Linux another chance, what I ended up doing was fighting with it, trying to make it work as it should. An OS should be transparent, disappear, become invisible, letting you do your work or play your games without getting in the middle. Linux is an OS for people who like tinkering with their OSes, or who need specific solutions for specific uses that are better / cheaper on it than what you can find on Windows - like Apache, Squid, MySQL and stuff like that, that the "Average Joe" would never need in his lifetime.
    Last edited by ducklord; 21-11-14 at 06:22 PM.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12