Thread: Just bricked my new GPS. (Olin OG430, WinCE6.0)

Thanks

Default Just bricked my new GPS. (Olin OG430, WinCE6.0)

Well, it had to happen. I was trying to unlock my new cheapie GPS unit and I seem to have (temporarily I hope) bricked it.

I edited the registry and changed the launch50 line from loader.exe to explorer.exe
    It now comes up in WinCE, but I cannot connect with Activesync anymore. It keeps trying to connect and failing.
    I can change the usbClientSwitch setting to 'mass storage' and access files in Residentflash that way, but cannot change to RNDIS which I think is required to use activesync - it gives me a 'Failed to change the client (31)' error.

So, given I can get into Windows, I am hoping it is not permanently bricked.

What should I be reading to learn more about WinCE 6.0 and what tools are useful to let me get it back to a 'sane' state?
    I have very limited Windows skils, but am a Unix hacker from waay back

I shall be browsing here and elsewhere in the meantime, but any pointers are appreciated
    TIA

Edit; In case it helps the deivce shows as a Westwell 4329.
    H here is the content of HKLM->init
    Depend100 1E 00
    Depend30 14 00
    Depend50 14 00 1E 00
    Depend60 14 00
    Launch100 Gpsmc.exe
    Launch20 device.dll
    Launch30 gwes.dll
    Launch50 explorer.exe (was originally loader.exe)
    Launch60 ServicesStart.exe

I am less confident this can be unbricked since I discovered that the device itself refuses to display the ResidentFlash or SDMMC directories under explorer.exe. They are available rom the PC when it connects as mass storage, but not on the GPS unit itself. If I can't download and run anything, then I am stuck with what is currently on the WinCE environment as installed.
    Last edited by who me?; 16-10-14 at 07:19 PM.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

In WinCE's explorer window goto folder \Windows and search for and run loader.exe, which was the original startup program. What happens?

ActivSync / WMDC only works, if GPS's USB serial client's mode is set to "Serial_Class": "Mass_Storage_Class" is wrong!

Code:
    Mass Storage Device

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers]
        "DefaultClientDriver"="Mass_Storage_Class"

Active Sync / WMDC

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers]
        "DefaultClientDriver"="Serial_Class"
    If you could successfully switch GPS's USB mode to "Serial_Class" , the GPS can be connected to a PC using ActiveSync / WMDC, and you can edit the GPS's registry on the PC using freeware .
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 16-10-14 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks

Ran loader.exe and it just showed the two icon screen - choose between 'GPS' and 'System' to either go into the gps app, or set up system properties like time, calibrate screen, backlight control,...
    I did. however, find that the issue with not seeing ResidentFlash or SDMMC was related to it beign in mass storage mode. When I disabled that, I was able to see the rest of the filesystem.
    I then loaded a 'simple little registry editor' onto residentFlash (found with google) and was able to reset the registry.

It still wont connect to ActiveSync, so I guess I have a problem with the PC end (it is on Activesync 4.5). Knowing it shoudl work in Serial mode is helpful so I will continue playing, but it is now unbricked and runs as well (badly) as it ever did.

What I really want is to get Primo on it.

Thanks for the info jwoegerbauer

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

if you don't get your answers here try this forum >
    Link Removed, Please Read:

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by who me? View Post
    It still wont connect to ActiveSync, so I guess I have a problem with the PC end (it is on Activesync 4.5). Knowing it shoudl work in Serial mode is helpful so I will continue playing, but it is now unbricked and runs as well (badly) as it ever did.
    Could you ever connect your PC with your GPS via ActiveSync? You didn't report this.

If NO, then go to GPS's folder \Windows and search for library "asyncmac.dll". If this library can't be found, then OEM hasn't implemented ActiveSync support.
    If "asyncmac.dll" is present, then here you find the complete set of WinCE registry entries that Microsoft's ActiveSync is made up:

Hint: To ensure ActiveSync at PC side is really working, remove any cable connection between GPS and PC, uninstall given ActiveSync and reinstall it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Could you ever connect your PC with your GPS via ActiveSync? You didn't report this.

If NO, then go to GPS's folder \Windows and search for library "asyncmac.dll". If this library can't be found, then OEM hasn't implemented ActiveSync support.
    If "asyncmac.dll" is present, then here you find the complete set of WinCE registry entries that Microsoft's ActiveSync is made up:

Hint: To ensure ActiveSync at PC side is really working, remove any cable connection between GPS and PC, uninstall given ActiveSync and reinstall it.
    Yes, I used Activesync and ceregeditor to change the registry in the first place.

I tried in vain to get it working with Activesync and gave up. Plugged it into my windows7 laptop and it worked fine with Mobile Device Centre. I have another GPS unit that still works fine with Activesync on the old XP PC I have been using. Not sure what is screwed up with this device and that PC, but as long as I have one PC I can use it with I am happy.

Made good progress tonight. I have a version of Primo 2.4 mostly working (have to manually start it from within explorer.exe), but with an early 2013 map, so still need to track down latest maps and integrate it to start at boot time.

Still a few things I don't understand, but I am slowly learning how this device should behave.