Thread: Wireless access point

Thanks

Default Wireless access point

OK, I need some more help. I thought this was going to be easy, but now I have myself all confused.
    There is a computer (desktop) at my local sporting club that it only used by a few members. The club purchased a mobile internet dongle thing which gives them 2gig / month etc etc Plenty for what they use.
    I was asked to set up the computer so that members sitting in the next room could access a wireless network (with password of course). My first thought was just ot grab a wireles router, but then quickly realised that it is a mobile internet setup and there's no cable coming in.
    So I ended up buying this and thought it would solve all my problems. But after installing it I couldn't seem to find a way to make it an access point. I did some googling and apparently there is some software that might solve the problem ? Am I heading in the right direction ? Did I buy the right product ? What do I need to buy ?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.
    When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I have set up a few USB 3G Dongles into Wireless routers.
    You have to purchase a router that says it is compatible with the the dongle you have.
    There are compatibility lists available.

Thats the way i do it anyway.
    Or as i am doing for a client today, just install a GlobeSurfer 3+ and throw everything else away Just plug the SIM card in and away you go.
    WiFi and Wired LAN straight out of the box. No Dongle, No Third Party wifi router, No Conflicts, No Set up issues.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-11-14 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks

Yes, that does look like the way to go. But being that the club has little or no money, I reckon I am going to have a crack at re installing the wireless adapter I bought and bridging the networks. That should work I reckon ? I'll have a go over the weekend and see how I go.

Cheers.
    When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Take it back and swap it any any of these,
    Which are made for the job.

The ol love job for the "club"
    Been there a hundred times.

Trouble is, it never ends. Thus i'd suggest you buy the right equipment first time around.
    Generally it goes like this....

Oh we just want 1 computer on the internet.
    3 months later....
    Oh, now we want to connect some portable devices, can you do that too?
    3 months later.....
    Oh, we bought another computer, can they both work on the internet pls?
    3 months later.....
    Can you make it so we can access the files on the first computer with the second computer
    3 months later....
    Now we have a another computer but its 4 rooms away, can you connect that too.

Sometimes it is cheaper, to just buy right the first time.
    As for clubs, yeah they never have money.... especially when they hope someone will do it for free
    They also never plan for the future.

Oh well, good luck with the bridging, it should work, everything works if you spend enough time researching it and playing around.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-11-14 at 10:22 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Mods (21-11-14),Tiny (21-11-14)

Thanks

Yes, that's what I am after !! Only issue is my local MSY doesn't have any of those models. Will this one work in my situation ??

Cheers.

Premium Member
    Thanks

No

If money is the biggest concern, you can purchase a Telstra Bigpond Gateway Modem from China for $80AUD delivered (WiFi, 4 port LAN).
    It has a open firmware installed and will take any SIM card.

But, it will die in 12 months and you will have to replace it
    Which brings me back to my first statement about buying the right thing the first time

For no extra money at all, you could simply plug the USB modem into the PC, the enable internet sharing across the network, plug the router in, configure it, done.
    But that PC would have to be ON for the set up to work.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-11-14 at 11:04 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Mods (21-11-14)

Thanks

Oh I was all excited for a bit
    Well I reckon I'll give the bridging a try. I know my way around the networking screens 'reasonably' well, so I think I should be able to get it to work. If that fails then I'll be looking at one of your options above !
    Thanks for the advice mate - been invaluable !

Cheers.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I know the feeling.... Its a bugger when things don't work the way you hoped they would.
    It took Access Point and Router makers a long time to catch up with the 3G/4G market, and even now, i don't think they service that area very well at all.
    Then on top of that you have incompatible firmwares, locked out config options, blah blah blah....
    Hence why so many installers still use the GlobeSurfer by Option.

Thanks

Can you start with supplying ALL details please?

No mention of the BB Modem so any recommendation so far is a guess at best.

May I also suggest that more thinking about this venture should be carried out. Sharing an already expensive form of Internet via an uncontrolled manor is destined for trouble.

Thanks

Sorry if I missed some details mate. I'll try to explain.

There was no mention of a broadband modem, because there isn't one. I am pretty sure I mentioned that the club purchased a mobile internet usb dongle. Part of allowance of this plan is 2 gig per month data allowance. At the moment we are using around 1-200 meg. The sharing of this data would be only to a few people in the club (by way of a password). It's a lawn bowls club - half the blokes there still use an abacus ! I doub't we will have any data usuage issues. Any anyway, I believe that after the data limit we just get throttled back to dial up speeds anyway.

Hope fully that was everything I missed

Now an update, my bridging idea was not successful. It bridged ok, but I couldn't connect. I didn't have enough time to go through everythign I wanted to , so I might still be able to get it done. But I really thought I did everything right, and it didn't work. Anybody have a step by step tutorial for bridging the wireless internet to the wireless adapter ?

Cheers.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have done what you are trying to do with an old Dial Up modem in the passed.

Dial Up Modem -> USB to PC -> Then shared on the network (wired and wifi).
    Needs PC to be ON for it all to work obviously.

Too long ago to remember what i did, just spent some time trying until it worked.
    Was fairly straight forward.

Thanks

Is there any chance you can just buy something similar to the Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced, allows you to connect multiple devices all via WiFi.....

Thanks

I am using a Telstra 3g/4g WiFi dongle and a Netcom range extenda, will have to check model when I get home.
    This allows password setting and guest accounts etc easy to setup and use.
    Was about $50 and should do what you need.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

I haven't read all the replies

BUT there is software that you run on your desktop to turn it into a Hotspot by sharing it to the new tplink router you brought

Even the torrent sites have the software

and easy as pie to setup
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Cheers. Will look into that