Thread: Installing GPS on SD card using KitKat

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Default Installing GPS on SD card using KitKat

This has been driving me nuts.
    Google really stuffed up the external SD card access.
    I have issues with other software too.
    I can not get Sygic or older version Tom Tom to run with the maps on the external SD card.
    Nothing on the net I find works.
    Has anybody done this with success using the Sygic versions found on this forum?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

I have Sygic up and running on my Android phablet. Sygic including the maps is stored on external SD-card (/mnt/sdcard2/).

A how-to:
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 03-12-14 at 04:07 AM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

That was one of the methods I tried when I searched the net.
    I get: Unfortunately Sygic closed unexpectedly.
    I also tried placing the files there manually.

I have given up and discovered and installed navfree. Uses much less storage space, starts up instantly and closes cleanly with the back button. Very good app.
    It is for my son so he doesn't get lost. He doesn't have a car, so no big deal if some tiny street names are missing. The streets themselves all seem to be there.

I am not going to waste my life with this any more and try to avoid KitKat. Hope my next phone will be running Ubuntu touch or something.
    Android is starting to get as annoying as Windows with their restrictions and changes for the sake of changes. I am also now forced to keep 500MB of ebooks on the internal memory if I continue to use my favourite reader but that would be topic for an different forum.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-12-14 at 07:24 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...