Thread: Network COM Port

Thanks

Default Network COM Port

Hi All,
    I am hoping for a Freeware/OpenSource solution for this problem.

I need a virtual com port that has a remote end across the network to another virtual com port. I believe the communication is only one way as it is sending the data to a scoreboard.

For the nerds amongst us. I am running a FinishLynx Photofinish system and we have purchased ResulTV to display results on a video display board. The input for the video display board is some distance away, but to get network to this point is easy (relatively speaking). The Network Com Port plugin for FinishLynx costs about $1000, and after the begging that I had to do to get the ResulTV plugin I don't like my chances of spending an extra 1k.

Thanks,
    mtg

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Connection / data transferring you have in mind should be possible with (virtual) serial port devices over a TCP/IP network. For example, freeware for Windows OS is a tool (driver) that allows you to

1. create multiple virtual serial ports (Maximum 255 ports) on your PC
    2. convert serial data to TCP/IP format and vice versa

Don't know whether comparable freewares for other operating systems exist.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think this is only freeware if you own the hardware as well. I am looking for something that is software on both ends.

Thanks

I have found Virtual Serial Ports Emulator that seems alright, but a little bit laggy, that said I haven't yet tried it without wireless in the mix, so that may well change, that said I will have a wireless factor in the real setup so I mightn't be able to fix this, that said, overall I wouldn't have expected much/any lag in the display of the running clock.