Thread: Anyone familiar with Open Office Macros?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Anyone familiar with Open Office Macros?

I'm developing an app in Open Office Base and one of my niceties would be to return to the record that I was last editing. I cannot seem to find reference to any code or the command syntax to to create the code to a) store the record number and then find it again on openting the form. The Open Office Fora was my first port of call, but, after several days, no-one has been able to suggest anything.

I'll be more specific if I can find some meaninful help.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Isemmens, isn't all the info located at Apache?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

LSemmens
    Thanks

I wish! I've been searching for days. Libre office is a close relative of open office and their forums are even worse. I'd have thought that this would be a fairly basic feature but aparrently not. Or I am not wearing the right aftershave or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i have no idea but you could ask my freelance excel\database expert to fix it
    they do expect a small payment sadly
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

From a quick search, it seems that Base is not itself a database application but rather an interface to an underlying MySQL database. I've never used Base or MySQL and am rusty on sql syntax anyway but MySQL doesn't seem to have the RecNo() function or equivalent. What you might want to explore is creating a "recno" field in the relevant table into which you would insert and increment a unique number. You might then have another table with a single record and single field in which you would store the last used "recno".

LSemmens
    Thanks

That has been my thinking, coldamus. So far I am experimenting with a demo form that holds some promise, It seems that they use a reference table to do that. The recno is not a major issue as that is easily taken care of. The hardest part seems to be saving, say, that record number to re-loadable store for a subsequent search on re-load.

A little background:
    I have developed many apps using dBase and Clipper in the early days. I am also familiar enough with MSAccess and VBA to be comfortable there. (I actually came up against one of Access's limitations early in the piece (2Gb). My reasons for attempting to use Base is because of cross platform compatibility. I hear you say that MYSQL is cross platform, which is true, but that is only a back-end. Finding a suitable front end package for MYSQL, indeed any database has been my problem. Base, at least, seems to be a half way decent front end. In fact Base, with the HSQL engine seems to work. I am currently attempting to work with the split database design using the JDBC engine as this is aparrently a little more secure. Once I am comfortable with Base macro programming and the database structures I may well go back to MYSQL as it is far more scalable.