Thread: [Windows] Emulating "Raspberry Pi" the easy way

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Default [Windows] Emulating "Raspberry Pi" the easy way

Important:
    This contribution is NOT intended for people who don't know of Linux commands. Hence if not done yet, learn the first!

Abstract:

Raspberry Pi, the bargain micro PC, is by far the most popular ARM-CPU based Linux hobbyist ( people aged 16 and upwards ) board with over 3.8 millions pieces - August 2014 - already sold.

I prepared to get started on a Windows 8.1.2 64-bit laptop before I received the Raspberry Pi hardware by running a similar system in QEMU (Quick EMUlator).

Here is how to emulate the Raspberry Pi on your Windows PC:

1. you need:

QEMU (32-bit or 64-bit version for Windows, depends on your Windows OS)
    A Linux-disk image file (compiled for ARM1176). Many Raspberry Pi ready Linux distributions exist, so for example "Raspian"

I have assembled these (most actual at time of this writing) components and additionally written a .BAT-file (which isn't optimized at all!) with which you can start the emulator with the appropriate disk image on the fly.
    The compilation contains Raspberry Pi ready Linux distributions as follows:

1. Raspbian
    2. Minibian
    3. Moebius
    4. PiBang
    5. Pidora
    6. ArchLinux

It also contains both the 64-bit and the the 32-bit of QEMU. Note: Which version to be used will automatically be detected.

2. you do:

Download archive (3.6 GB), unpack the archive to your Windows PC, then go to the newly created folder "Raspberry-Pi-Emulator" and there run batch-file "Run.bat".

3. you get:

Aside, I haven't found a solution to disable the PS/2 mouse to have in QEMU a sane pointer. Perhaps you can manage it? If so, let us know your solution.

QEMU by default supports network in user mode, so you can browse the Internet and use ftp, ssh etc. without root privilege or Administrative privilege.
    FYI: How to configure in QEMU the network in detail is described here:

Disclaimer:
    This distribution of my Raspberry-Pi-Emulator package is "AS IS".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Bibliophile (27-12-14)

Look Here ->