Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google wages security war against Microsoft

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default Google wages security war against Microsoft

Ya gotta LOVE Microsoft . . . I can't wait till Linux steps up to the plate!

Google found a SECURITY flaw in windows 8/8.1 software and reported it to Microsoft on October 29, 2014. There is a 90day/3 month NDA (Non-Diclosure Agreement)between them. Last week Google revealed the flaw and Microsoft cried foul!

Microsoft had NINETY days to fix that flaw and they DID NOT! Well Google just released ANOTHER security flaw . . . .

NOW you know the REAL reason why MS Windows 9 was NOT released last October! Are you really interested in Windows10?

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black - Google's Android OS has more holes than Swiss cheese. Maybe they should reallocate the resources they have chasing bugs at MS on their own issues before they criticise others.

Banned

Thanks

No doubt Peter, but google hasn't been JAMMING their OS down your throat for 30 years!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    No doubt Peter, but google hasn't been JAMMING their OS down your throat for 30 years!
    No one has been forced to use MS. There has been plenty of other OS's available during that time, simply none have had the same usability, compatibility and reach as MS.

At least with PC's you get a choice of OS. If you buy a non-Apple phone nowadays there is not much else out there but Android. Now that is having something jammed down your throat 😜
    Last edited by peteramjet; 20-01-15 at 09:48 PM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Why the fuss? Microsoft was certainly there in the position to assess whether a hotfix or a normal update is required to close this gap. It just makes no sense about an OS to scoff at. You use it, or not. So simple.

As peteramjet said: No one has been forced to use MS. Never.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    As peteramjet said: No one has been forced to use MS. Never.
    Totally dissagree. If you want to pay your eTAX or go to UNI you have no choice to than use Windows.
    For UNI you also must buy Office.
    Alternatives are not accepted.

If I want to pay TAX with Linux then you can only do that with a Windows 7 (or higher) VM (not even XP any more, at least they say so on the ATO site), so I must purchase a WIN7 (or higher) license !
    HOW IS THAT NOT JAMMING WINDOWS DOWN MY THROAT?

...and before some smart-arse tells me to do a paper return, try getting a schedule for business and professional items.

Andoid does not have hidden loop holes. When you install apps you agree to all means of accessing your 'privates'
    This is totally different from keeping hidden flaws and not even doing anything about it.

Google also still allows you to disable all their services (at least on Kit KAT, don't have 5) and allows you to install open source software... that is an alternative.
    I think you can not even use the calender app on Windows these days without signing up to the devil, so they can see all your private appointments and when you are not at home.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-01-15 at 04:23 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (21-01-15),cmangle (21-01-15),tristen (21-01-15)

Banned

Thanks

jwoegerbauer, I'm not FUSSIN! I merely am enjoying some entity with similar clout sticking it up MS's bum . . .

I use windows by choice because I have no choice! I like windows 7!

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Andoid does not have hidden loop holes. When you install apps you agree to all means of accessing your 'privates'
    This is totally different from keeping hidden flaws and not even doing anything about it.
    It's well known that all Android devices can be hit by security flaws, always.

Since September 2008 there have been more than 20 official "Google-Android" version updates, many of them due to detected security flaws . "Third party research is one of the ways Android is made stronger for users,” said Christopher Katsaros, a Google spokesman, in 2014.
    A big challenge for Android security researchers is keeping up with the number of custom Android systems available ( there are more than 3,500 Android variants - source code versions customised by Samsung, LG and HTC, etc, pp ) and the number of apps available (there are now more than a million). Each Android-based device is already compromised, unless you've built Android yourself - have compiled "your" Android from the scratch.

Only as an example:

In late March 2014 San Francisco-based Bluebox Security company detected a vulnerability with the catchy name Fake-ID and submitted the bug to Google by March 31, 2014. The Google-Android security team developed a fix in April 2014 and provided the patch to vendors, who had 90 days to implement it before Bluebox publicized its findings. Then Bluebox has tested about 40 Android-based devices out of more than 6,300 in the market. So far Bluebox knows of only one vendor that has put a patch out.

Expect a lot more Android security flaw news! Most Android security flaws come from Phone-Maker apps. "Cheap clone Android tablets of the sort that crowd the shelves of many bricks-and-mortar US stores are often riddled with dangerous but hidden security flaws," Bluebox Security in November 2014 said:
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 21-01-15 at 06:55 PM.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    I use windows by choice because I have no choice! I like windows 7!
    I am using Windows - actually 8.1.2 64-bit - by conviction, not because I had no choice
    For me it's the most secure OS currently available.

Thanks

Totally dissagree. If you want to pay your eTAX or go to UNI you have no choice to than use Windows.

If I want to pay TAX with Linux then you can only do that with a Windows 7 (or higher) VM (not even XP any more, at least they say so on the ATO site), so I must purchase a WIN7 (or higher) license !
    HOW IS THAT NOT JAMMING WINDOWS DOWN MY THROAT?
    There are countless software packages out there that restrict you to a single OS, be it MS or otherwise. To say a particular OS is 'jammed' down your throat because one application you use requires MS is laughable.

Your anger should be directed to the software developer, not MS. To blame MS for something they don't control is irrational.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 22-01-15 at 08:27 AM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    There are countless software packages out there that restrict you to a single OS, be it MS or otherwise. To say a particular OS is 'jammed' down your throat because one application you use requires MS is laughable.

Your anger should be directed to the software developer, not MS. To blame MS for something they don't control is irrational.
    Knock, knock ...hello ??

Where did I say I blame MS for shoving it down my throat?

I said the UNI and ATO are, if you could read properly!

Firefox is totally capable of displaying webpages, yet they force you to use IE.
    Open office is a very capable application too and even Ubuntu is strangley used for education in other countries.

The restrictions are laughable, not my comments.

Think of how much tax payer's money could be saved if the Dep. of Edu. would use Ubuntu in schools ...oh no wait, we are not supposed to think, just follow the sheep.
    Sorry for my stupid comment.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-01-15 at 12:49 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

kde (22-01-15)

Thanks

Where did I say I blame MS for shoving it down my throat?...

I said the UNI and ATO are, if you could read properly!...

The restrictions are laughable, not my comments.

Think of how much tax payer's money could be saved if the Dep. of Edu. would use Ubuntu in schools ...oh no wait, we are not supposed to think, just follow the sheep.
    I must have misinterpreted you post, but previous comments were all about MS 'jamming' Windows to people, not third party companies.

I still stand by my statement that to say a particular OS is 'jammed' down your throat because one application you use requires MS is laughable.

And Linux variants in schools - no chance. Maybe if it was an OS that actually worked it would be viable, but then I doubt it would be free.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

My experience with "education" is that, when it comes to computers, the kids have it all over the "educators".

Banned

Thanks

And Linux variants in schools - no chance. Maybe if it was an OS that actually worked it would be viable, but then I doubt it would be free.
    All Linux distributions always only serve one purpose: the one their creators had in mind. Linux never was intended as an all-in-one operating system. Linux isn't a complete operating system - it's just a kernel, means the interface with which softwares (applications) can access the hardware, without knowing it precisely. Each Linux distribution has the Linux kernel at its core, but builds on top of that with its own selection of other components, depending on the target audience of the distribution. Most Linux users switch between distributions until they finally find the one that best suits their needs. However, for new and inexperienced users, the choice of hundreds of distributions, with seemingly little to distinguish them, can seem challenging to say the least. Largely speaking, Linux distributions can be grouped into seemingly endless categories such as the default graphical environment, the underlying package management system, single developer distributions or distributions backed by large billion dollar enterprises, and so on.
    Only as example: currently there's no one true desktop environment for Linux. Unlike competing proprietary operating systems like Windows or OS X, Linux users must select one of many different desktop environments, all with their own styles and strengths.

It's true that with the proprietary Windows and OS X, you're stuck with the system as designed and can't make changes no matter how unpleasant you may find the experience. Linux distributions are free of such limitations.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

cmangle (23-01-15)

Thanks

Here is a list of countries that don't share your ignorance:

These days schools use interactive websites, including the very popular Animoto, Youtube and powerpoint presentations.
    Any Linux distro with it's preinstalled open source apps can handle that out of the box, but there has even been an educational distro of Ubuntu for a decade now with stuff like GCompris and Tuxpaint for the younger ones for example. The primary school my 8 y/o goes to uses a Windows version of Tuxpaint, LOL.

With a new installation of Windows you can't even read PDF files and have to start tinkering, downloading and purchasing apps just to make up a few slides.

alpha0ne (24-01-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    All Linux distributions always only serve one purpose: the one their creators had in mind. Linux never was intended as an all-in-one operating system. Linux isn't a complete operating system - it's just a kernel,
    You must be living in the past. At least since 2004 Ubuntu has made a serious effort to be as all-in-one as possible and many others followed.

When I install a Linux distro, I generally answer a some questions with a few mouse clicks, go to the kitchen to make a sandwich and when I am finished eating it I come back with a system fully loaded with everyday apps that would be sufficient for most general users to work with straight away. The only extra chore might be entering the Wifi password and installing the Flash-plugin, although even that comes pre-installed with some distros.

When I install Windows I spend the greater part of the day, fiddling around with boot problems, taking ages to install because it needs to download something after umpteen reboots, then when I stare at an almost empty desktop I have to search and download every utility, useful software app for hours until I get even close to the functionality of a universal Linux distro like Kubuntu.

Now that we have the basics, it now comes to the special demands that some people have and this is where all opinions divert.

I can not get my applications that interface with electronic hardware to work later versions of Windows.
    Others for example can't get their special modifications of MSOffice to work with open source office versions on Unix-likes
    Then there is music production software only available for OSX/iOS where Windows or Opensource application don't even come close too.

Right now the most universal platform for me is the Unix-like OSX, yet there are some things that work better for me on Kubuntu.

BTW the Linux/Unix-like kernel is the most universal all-in-one thing I can think of. I wouldn't be surprised if there are now Smart fridges and washing machines running on it, LOL

Pretty amazing when you think of a kernel that has it's origins in the early 70's is taking over today's "Smart"-world.
    Must be pretty secure and stable.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-01-15 at 12:14 PM.

Banned

Thanks

When I install Windows

Pretty amazing when you think of a kernel that has it's origins in the early 70's is taking over today's "Smart"-world.
    Must be pretty secure and stable.
    In case of Linux you correctly distinguished between "Linux" (the kernel) and "Linux distributions". In case of Windows, which also merely is a kernel (FYI: In Windows 8 Pro 64-bit it's only ~150MB of size), you did this not. You used "Windows" as abbreviation/synonym for "Windows editions", as these in reality exist - for example Windows XP Home, Windows XP Starter, Windows XP Media Center, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise, and so on. Yes, that's the main mistake most people make. Very sad about.

I can see you're no friend of Microsoft's Windows OS. But why do you damn it, spread outright lies about? As said: "Windows" is a kernel, Microsoft sells "Windows editions" that are made up on this kernel. If such a "Windows edition" doesn't contain the apps you need for your daily computer-work, then you of course must install additional third-party apps to match your needs. That's not different to any "Linux edition" available. Furthermore, since Windows 8 thousands apps in the Windows Store are offered. So you have endless new opportunities for work and entertainment. And you can use your PC easier and more productive. In Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 apps are preinstalled that you stay connected, view documents, share, organize photos, listen to music or watch movies. So switch to Windows 8.1, if not done yet.

Since "Windows XP" (released 2001) Windows is technically based on Windows 2000, has nothing more to do with MS-DOS and/or Window-NT, is Windows a completely independent OS. Perhaps it's you who haven't noticed this change?
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 24-01-15 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

I have been through all evolutions of Windows and have noticed a great deal.
    It seems to hurt your feelings when somebody thinks critically about it.
    If it comforts you, I have had issues with Linux and OSX too but seeing i didn't pay for these OS's I don't complain too much.

What lies are you talking about?
    I am spreading no lies.
    When I install Windows I end up with a system only with very basic utilities, can not even read PDF files.
    When I install pretty much any flavour of Linux I have a usable system right from scratch loaded with useful applications and that in many cases might suit quite a lot of users without the need to download much more.

I hear you now saying that an OS is just that and does not come with applications.
    That is true but then it is a lie to say that Linux is more work to set up.
    A Linux distro is a complete working package, Windows is just an OS.

I actually find it an insult that I have to pay so much just for an OS, and for that price I should expect more.

When I buy a computer I expect a complete system.
    That is hardware, OS and a usable basic software suite.

Late 1990's to mid 2000's you could actually buy a Windows PC or Laptop with a complete usable suite of Microsoft software. Not just demo versions, with all the bloat-, add- and spyware as it is today.
    This was the Microsoft Works package with a few additional goodies. Microsoft Picture It Publishing was awesome up to version 2, after that they ruined it. The templates that came with Works and Picture It made life so simple. For my home use and micro business this was all I needed back then.
    While this was never officially part of the MS OS, I believe it was designed as a package to complement the OS for computer sales, so basic users could get going straight away with no head aches.
    Such a shame that this was discontinued.

lsemmens (25-01-15)

Banned

Thanks

It seems to hurt your feelings when somebody thinks critically about it.
    In no way: And I also would never say Microsoft's "Windows" (to be correct: a "Windows edition") is best you today can purchase. I'm not employee of Microsoft or affiliated in any way with Microsoft. You are right: I always get annoyed when apples are mixed with pears, directly or indirectly, whether through ignorance or deliberately.

I simply have to use "Windows" (to be correct: a "Windows edition") because of the given variety of OS-emulators which I need to test the programs I'm writing. I don't know of any Linux distribution ( and I've tried many ) which allows me to install and run a Windows CE and/or Windows Phone emulator, for example.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (25-01-15)

Thanks

I actually find it an insult that I have to pay so much just for an OS, and for that price I should expect more.
    Windows 8 (upgrade) cost me $15. I think I can live that level of expense for a licence to use the OS indefinitely and to have 10 years of patches thrown in too.

While this was never officially part of the MS OS, I believe it was designed as a package to complement the OS for computer sales, so basic users could get going straight away with no head aches.
    The edition Works was an additional extra OEM bundle. The OEM paid for it and in turn you did too. MS now offers the free Windows essentials for downloads - Movie Maker, Photo Gallery, OneDrive, Family Safety, Mail, Writer.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast