Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 General Discussion thread

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Windows 10 (desktop editions as launched July 29, 2015) comes with >200 services, the programs Windows 10 loads, mostly at startup, and that operate in the background.
    Some services have security set on them that prevents the service from being edited, prevents the process from being killed and even protects the service registry key making it difficult to set the service to manual / disabled. The solution is to start in safe mode then you can delete the security key (some of the services will put it back when started), manually change the service start mode and even delete the protected process value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es
    LaunchProtected
    Start
    Security

I've trimmed a 64 bit Win 10 pro down to about 700Mb at boot. On that basis I could probably get a 32 bit version down to 400Mb.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Just wondering if anyone else's computer sounds like its doing a lot of work ? The fan on my laptop is now almost constantly on Task manager shows System and System Interrupts to be the culprits. I have also noticed multiple instances of Google Chrome open (9)
    My install was an upgrade , I am not really interested in doing a new install at this stage.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Sounds like it might be something with your machine, Admin, as my lappy is purring sweetly and the fan seems to be less intrusive than it was under W7.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Sounds like it might be something with your machine, Admin, as my lappy is purring sweetly and the fan seems to be less intrusive than it was under W7.
    Also my observation: After having upgraded to Windows 10 my laptop's CPU ( a Quadcore ) temperature is constantly <65° C, at idle time it is even only ~50° C. IMHO a fantastic value. The fan is practically inaudible.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else's computer sounds like its doing a lot of work ? The fan on my laptop is now almost constantly on Task manager shows System and System Interrupts to be the culprits. I have also noticed multiple instances of Google Chrome open (9)
    Strongly believe it's a driver problem you have. USB ports and/or graphics. Most times it's a faulty graphics driver causing the 'System Interrupts' to go havoc. At my laptop 'System' varies from 0 - 2.2%, and 'System Interrupts' varies from 0 - 1.5%.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 10-08-15 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour Butts View Post
    My Windows 8.1 had installed Windows Media Centre but I understand that Windows 10 has done away with this so I wonder where my next option lies, perhaps Kodi, but even with Kodi - a program I've never used before I would need install a back end suitable to Australia

Can any one give any guidance??

cheers
    One of my computers (the first one to do an update) is now running w10 and Windows Media Centre is still there and working fine

• The Following User Says Thank You to kaygill For This Useful Post:

Seymour Butts (12-08-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    A full clean install doesn't take as long - around 20~30 minutes.

And +1 for the privacy thing - I don't know why Microsoft would need to know a lot of those things.
    I tried a full clean install with a w10 iso I downloaded but it would not accept the key that was installed with the first update.
    Can you explain how you do this full clean install or point me to a url that explains TNX

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    For those doing the upgrade that have Graphics cards, check for drivers before upgrade, I just got a notice from GeForce that they have one available & it says it should be good for W10.
    I see that is for 64bit computers. Can't find a link to 32bit???

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Win 7, 8 & 8.1 32Bit -
    Win 10 32Bit -
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 10-08-15 at 07:45 PM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

kaygill (10-08-15),Seymour Butts (12-08-15),Tiny (11-08-15)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaygill View Post
    I tried a full clean install with a w10 iso I downloaded but it would not accept the key that was installed with the first update.
    Can you explain how you do this full clean install or point me to a url that explains TNX
    You don't need a key when doing a clean install - Just click 'Skip'.
    That's providing you have already upgraded and activated previously.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Also my observation: After having upgraded to Windows 10 my laptop's CPU ( a Quadcore ) temperature is constantly <65° C, at idle time it is even only ~50° C. IMHO a fantastic value. The fan is practically inaudible.

Strongly believe it's a driver problem you have. USB ports and/or graphics. Most times it's a faulty graphics driver causing the 'System Interrupts' to go havoc. At my laptop 'System' varies from 0 - 2.2%, and 'System Interrupts' varies from 0 - 1.5%.
    I gave Windows 10 "Reset" option a try earlier with the option of keeping files. It went through an hour doing the process only to return me to my original screen with a "sorry, we couldnt reset windows". Its good to see that Microsoft has kept features like this all the way from Windows 95

The fan has however died down and system processes are lower, however most processes are in multiples. After removing Google Chrome and reinstalling it from scratch, opening one window in chrome results in 11 different instances of Chrome in Task manager. There are 2 of Google Drive, 2 x Kaspersky, 2 x Nvidea Driver helper, 2 x client server runtime, 2 x console window host.

I'll leave it as is as it now appears to be running ok, if it plays up again I will drop back to .8.1 and a full reinstall at a later date.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I ended up with a dual boot system, Win7 & Win10, upgraded Win7 to Win10, confirmed it was activated, rolled back to Win7, reduced partition size on SSD & used the space left over to do a clean install of Win10 which of course had now already been activated. Works great, dunno how long I'll leave it that way, just wanted to see if it can be done.

And all on one OEM key too.
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 11-08-15 at 05:16 PM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Administrator
    Thanks

Probably a good idea Al, I might do it myself. I must admit I probably prefer Windows 7 to 8 and 10, but as we know, you cant hold to your favourites for ever when it comes to technology

Banned

Thanks

[...]
    opening one window in chrome results in 11 different instances of Chrome in Task manager. There are 2 of Google Drive, 2 x Kaspersky, 2 x Nvidea Driver helper, 2 x client server runtime, 2 x console window host.
    [...]
    Unlike most current web browsers, Google Chrome uses many operating system processes to keep web sites separate from each other and from the rest of your computer (topic: sandboxing). And, not only the browser & renderers processes are created, the browser process also creates one process for each type of plug-in that is in use.

I used to use Chrome but with the processes consuming so much CPU I had to move to Mozilla's Firefox for my browser.

Now to Kaspersky, published by the Moscow-based 'Kaspersky Lab': I think that one instance will be running under the User name which will be the GUI interface. The GUI is where you setup the environment.
    The other instance will be running as a Service. But don't really know this because don't have Kaspersky in use.

BTW: I've COMODO Internet Security in use, and as Task-Manager shows, COMODO even starts 4 processes!
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 12-08-15 at 12:19 AM. Reason: BTW added

Premium Member
    Thanks

Probably a good idea Al, I might do it myself. I must admit I probably prefer Windows 7 to 8 and 10, but as we know, you cant hold to your favourites for ever when it comes to technology
    Did the same thing with XP and Vista, boy did I get rid of Vista in a hurry.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Banned

Thanks

Default Enable Windows 10's Dark-Theme

Windows 10’s new default theme is very bright, with lots of white — from window backgrounds to white title bars. Microsoft built a dark, black theme into Windows 10, but it’s hidden.

To enable a System-wide Dark Theme, you download file , extract from this archive file Make_Windows_10_Use_Dark_theme.reg and import this file to your device's registry: Just double-click the Make_Windows_10_Use_Dark_theme.reg file.
    Finally log out and log back in, or restart your computer.

Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 12-08-15 at 01:02 AM. Reason: DL link renewed

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

admin (14-08-15),peter3535 (11-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

excuse my ignorance but without reading back 14 pages
    what's the verdict on downloading the upgrade to iso?
    or you must upgrade
    i want to d-load it on this pc, but not install it
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    excuse my ignorance but without reading back 14 pages
    what's the verdict on downloading the upgrade to iso?
    or you must upgrade
    i want to d-load it on this pc, but not install it
    Download it but have either a usb or dvd ready to make a bootable win10 install.
    I am still on win 7 and downloaded it fine

Premium Member
    Thanks

Phil, using the media creation tool in my earlier post;

will allow you to create the ISO you need for your particular upgrade circumstances, which means you can create the iso you want without actually having to upgrade then and there. You can, at a later date upgrade using the ISO, just remember to run the setup file on the ISO from within windows, and as long as you have a qualifying version of Windows it will upgrade to Windows 10 with or without your current settings depending what you choose.

So for me, it's a nobrainer, download the tool, create the appropriate ISO that I need, and then use it to upgrade, you only need to download the ISO once, then you can use it on multiple machines running the appropriate version of Windows to upgrade, but that's just my opinion, I'm sure there will be others who will say otherwise....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

In a nutshell...

If you wish to obtain a copy of Windows 10 for later installation, go to and download the Windows 10 Download Tool.

There are separate tools for downloading the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

The tool will allow you to (1) download an iso image to your hard drive suitable for later burning to a DVD, or (2) download an image directly to a blank 4GB (or greater capacity) USB stick.

Both of these options allow you to upgrade a PC if it's already running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.

Full information is located at the link cited above.

I have downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions using this method and the procedure works flawlessly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i thought as much
    im blacklisted & wasnt fussed on running a upgrade anyway
    i just want it for legit installs if needed
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast