Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 General Discussion thread

Premium Member
    Thanks

same here,being occurring for awhile now,i have not bothered with it i just put it down to either a bios wrong setting which it in win8 or ms starting it up for some reason

it only happens to me from hibernate or sleep,it does not happen if i shutdown

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (10-09-15),Tiny (10-09-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    same here,being occurring for awhile now,i have not bothered with it i just put it down to either a bios wrong setting which it in win8 or ms starting it up for some reason

it only happens to me from hibernate or sleep,it does not happen if i shutdown
    Yes, same here, will randomly fire up from sleep mode, so I decided to disable it, I just shutdown instead.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-09-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

no surprise there guys
    it has to call home and report to the mothership

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Yes, same here, will randomly fire up from sleep mode, so I decided to disable it, I just shutdown instead.
    Did you try to run the 'powercfg -lastwake' command in console?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

For those that may not have figured it out yet, W10 still has W7 Backup Tool embedded & according to it you can still access old backups.

You can also, as I like to, create your own customised new backups, system images & recovery disc from that tool.

2 Ways to access it.

1: from Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Backup & Restore (Windows 7)
    Funny they still can't work out a new name for it.lol Maybe Backup & Restore W10??

2: from Settings/Update & Security/Backup/Looking for an older backup?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may also want to create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive for troubleshooting.

Found in Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Recovery
    You will be prompted for a USB drive that can hold 8GB.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (07-11-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Some interesting observations from in regards to privacy.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Banned

Thanks

Got so fed up with windows over the last few releases, some one convinced me to try linux. What a breath of fresh air it is and light years ahead of windows in every way, free, with total privacy and control.

Thanks

I agree with spook on this one.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

For those that have upgraded to W10, there is an issue with some security updates failing to install due to issues with how Windows Update service is operating.
    The issue is affecting all versions of W10 Home & Professional 32 bit (x86) & x64 bit.
    Some people have had no issues, however many have had major issues. So it maybe system dependant.

To check for any issues, click on Start/Settings (gear icon)/Update & Security. Then in the Widows Update Console Panel select Advanced Options/'View your update history', If you have multiple failures to install updates over the last few weeks. then head to for more info.
    The crucial update that is the most problem for many users is the Cumulative patch KB3081455, it is apparently important that this update installs successfully.

Start at for the start of easy solutions.

Go to for the possible solution to difficult failures of Win Update.

Good luck in solving the issue if you have it, took me a while to sort it.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

I wanted to upgrade my sons old desktop to windows 10, however running the reservation/compatibility program threw up a problem with his old graphics card, an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS.

Anyway I went ahead with the upgrade using the windows 10 media creation tool and all was well, except the display defaulted to the generic Microsoft display adaptor which looked crap on his tv.

There have been numerous issues with windows 10 and NVIDIA, some listed in this thread. I was resigned to updating his graphics card as I had no joy searching for a solution, but eventually I found one after some trial and error. Delete any/all NVIDIA drivers, then install the latest win8 (not 8.1 as it wont show up) driver from the NVIDIA website which should be 309.08. It installs on win10 with no problems and you get the high resolution back on your monitor.
    Last edited by mkhannah; 29-09-15 at 05:09 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

joezep (29-09-15),Tiny (29-09-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

You may also need to block W10 from automatically updating your drivers or you will find every month or so it will select the most appropriate driver it sees fit & you will have to do a driver roll back to solve it as I did with my Sound card driver.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

allover (29-09-15),mkhannah (29-09-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I thought problems with nVidia drivers were only an issue with Linux. I never seem to have troubles with my nVidia cards using windoze, but have had all sorts of issues when trying Linux. Typically with dual monitor setups.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

New cumulative update KB3093266 for W10 a big one, just installed on my PC with no problems; unlike the last one.

Microsoft appears to be pushing out a new cumulative update to machines, according to a couple of tips we've received. The download has the support number of KB3093266, and Microsoft's Knowledge Base site simply cites the following changelog:
    This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10.
    As Microsoft has stated before, it doesn't intend to publish detailed changelogs for Windows 10 updates unless they contain significant feature additions or changes. However, according to by one user, the update appears to be related to "ESET Smart Security protocols." As an additional note, the update isn't yet appearing on our machines, which are all running the latest Windows Insider build, so it's possible that this is pushing out to non-Insiders only.
    In any case, you should be able to pull the update — which clocks in at a hefty 226MB for 32-bit users and 505MB for 64-bit — through Windows Update now.
    Some people already having installation problems with it.
    Cheers, Tiny

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    New cumulative update KB3093266 for W10 a big one, just installed on my PC with no problems
    Same.

LSemmens
    Thanks

No probs here. If that was a big one, I wonder what they called the humongous ones form W7. I thought it was very painless. In fact I restarted my lappy at the same time as my media server (win7 - no updates) and lappy beat the W7 machine by about 30 seconds WITH the update.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

No problems here either. I went out earlier this evening and found the upgrade in progress when I returned about half and hour ago - and all is well.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Upgraded my Eee Pc which I rediscovered hiding a couple of weeks ago and works well. Just doubled the ram to 2gb today and its even better, even with the ram as it was the experience was much better. Humming along nicely, new life in an old toy.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

jok11n (12-10-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Twice in the last few days, when I have turned on the desk top, a very brief message has appeared advising me something 'didnt load and I wasnt signed in'.
    It appears this is my Network connection and as such I now have no facility to connect to the Internet when this happens.
    When I went into 'settings' to try to view the Network, the computer just went into its endless search mode with that small blue circle rotating and basically froze.
    Once I got that closed, I turned the Computer off and back on again and it all loaded as normal.
    I havent Uploaded, Downloaded, made any changes to either the Computer or the O/S in the last few days except to try to reinstall Gorbtrack which doesnt want to work so I have deleted it.
    Today it started normally with all the little bits appearing and seemingly working away happily.

Had the damned message lasted longer than a double eye blink, maybe that would have explained what was going on and how to prevent it happening again.
    Any ideas please?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Have you checked in the system and application event logs to see if anything shows an error or warning status?

Banned
    Thanks

Hello there,

I have since Windows 10 the problem that some services can not access the Internet (WiFi).
    Things like the Store, Windows Update, Chrome, or even Edge have a connection to the Internet, but some driver updaters get no connection or even the news app shows me that there is no connection.
    How can I fix this?

Many thanks

• Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast