Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: losing wireless at 8pm

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    3 minutes its more like 3 hours in my complicated house including a complicated computer room. The trouble is the power pack is cable tied in with 50 cable ties with all the other cables that feed 3 computers, Sat cables and other.
    I will try changing channels first and if that fails I will have no choice but to temporary remove it and test it on another phone socket on the other side of the house and if that fixes it I will have to scratch my head and mount it elsewhere but the re-wiring of all the cat 5 and 6 cables to the router will put me off doing this.
    I will be testing another modem this weekend (billion 7800NXL) borrowed by a friend to see what happens using another modem
    Oh you have a Wireless Modem. Ok, just turn off the Wireless on it and add another Access Point anywhere on the network to see if the problem still exists.
    Changing channels is also fast and easy.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Oh you have a Wireless Modem. Ok, just turn off the Wireless on it and add another Access Point anywhere on the network to see if the problem still exists.
    Changing channels is also fast and easy.
    Yes will do this weekend
    On a different note (wife just told me as I was not home) last night we had no wireless problem at all. Funny thing is the wife spoke about this two days ago to two neighbours. Could be a coincidence but lets see what happens in the next few days. Will work on Network Stumbler in the meantime

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Yes will do this weekend
    On a different note (wife just told me as I was not home) last night we had no wireless problem at all. Funny thing is the wife spoke about this two days ago to two neighbours. Could be a coincidence but lets see what happens in the next few days. Will work on Network Stumbler in the meantime
    I just realized I have net stumbler installed on a desktop puter with no wireless as this puter uses cat 6 cable to the Modem. Gruuuuu!

Thanks

Just installed Network Stumbler on the wife's wireless notebook which works as a wireless and it comes up with the same message "No wireless adapter found". I must have something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

What does the modems log say for 8PM at night ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just installed Network Stumbler on the wife's wireless notebook which works as a wireless and it comes up with the same message "No wireless adapter found". I must have something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thats quite common.
    Means a couple of things.

1. Its just not compatable with the wireless device in your wives lappy
    2. You need to disable the Wireless adapter in window sometimes, then Netstumbler can use it

Its all written in the Netstumbler info.
    But from my own findings, it works in some machines and not in others.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-02-15 at 11:37 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Thats quite common.
    Means a couple of things.

1. Its just not compatable with the wireless device in your wives lappy
    2. You need to disable the Wireless adapter in window sometimes, then Netstumbler can use it

Its all written in the Netstumbler info.
    But from my own findings, it works in some machines and not in others.
    correct.

It can be very hardware specific!!!

If your a linux man, maybe KISMET, but again, can be hardware specific.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I remember being network guru at one of my last jobs. A wireless install that I did was playing up, going on and off, each evening. The tech working on the mobile equipment were pulling their hair out.

I went to check it all out, did a site survey found ample signal strength all over the several acre parking area. no issues. next evening, phone calls, same thing, wireless network dropping in and out.

So, an evening spent on site with spectrum monitoring equipment differently showed the local wireless network dropping in and out over a period of time. The site consisted of 5 Cisco 1200 series AP's hooked up to 14dbi sector antennas, HEAPS of signal available.

Long story cut short.

The 1200 series AP's were running in what was called light weight mode, ie, all their functionality was controlled by a central wireless lan controller (WLC) back at a data centre.

What was happening was that in the evening when the bulk of the fleet of mobile equipment returned to the depot and the equipment logged onto the network and started to dump its daily data, the adsl link to the data centre (512K i believe) started to bog down and the polling of the AP's got out of sync and they dropped off the network until the WLC attempted to regain sync with the AP's.

Naturally the transfer of data stopped. The network became un congested and teh AP's came back online and of course the mobile equipment again connected to dump its data, causing the whole process to continue!

The admin's the greater network thought that to solve the issue they would increase the pipe to the site, so upped the adsl to a 2 mbits link. still wasnt enough as teh shear amount of data transfer still managed to bog down the network causing the same issue.

So, porkop, un educated, obnoxious, told em how it had to be fixed. I think at one stage I called them all morons but hey what do I know.

My solution, Dump the WLC, make the AP's autonomous (ie self contained, no need of off site linking/syncing) with a firmware upgrade. I did this and as I predicted, the network worked flawlessly from that moment.

Still, the contract specification called for the use of the WLC to be used. Not my problem. My site was flawlessly installed and met specification for signal density at all points. This was just one of over 100 sites that I installed and maintained but this was one of the biggest and had the most mobile devices.

Anyway, not really helping but goes to show the pitfalls when dealing with wireless networks and the need for the right equipment when fault finding.
    Last edited by porkop; 04-02-15 at 06:33 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Its 7.59 bye bye wireless

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Honestly Admin I have not looked at that yet but that's a good start

Thanks

Its 7.59 bye bye wireless
    LOL its still going!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (04-02-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    The log only keeps 24hours (looks ok) and so far no drop outs tonight so that's two nights in a row with no drop outs.

Thanks

See the main problem is I'm out at night looking after a friends property and because of this my Son stays up to midnight playing games at night which effects him functioning the next morning so I had no choice but to educate the Modem to shut the Wireless off at 9PM. Now ever since this both the Wife and the Son complain that the internet via wireless is dropping off but the odd thing is I go over my mates property two nights in a row late (after 8PM) and nothing drops off. As the Admin said check your Log. Its a pity the log only logs for 24 hours AS it would have been interesting to see what actually is happening at 8PM. By the way the wife also plays her on line games whatever they are at Night.

Premium Member
    Thanks

So, to be more specific.

Do you lose Wireless Connection?
    Or, do you just lose Internet via the Wireless Connection?

Or is it a case, that when the problem occurs, you cant even find/see the SSID from the Wireless radio on any portable device?
    No matter how many times you try and reconnect or reboot the modem?

Another little "trick", when it happens again, go to your switchboard and turn the Main Switch off for 5 seconds, then back on.
    See if that made the problem go away
    Last edited by ol' boy; 05-02-15 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks

So, to be more specific.

Do you lose Wireless Connection?
    Or, do you just lose Internet via the Wireless Connection?

Or is it a case, that when the problem occurs, you cant even find/see the SSID from the Wireless radio on any mobile device?
    No matter how many times you try and reconnect or reboot the modem?

Another little "trick", when it happens again, go the your switchboard and turn the Main Switch off for 5 seconds, then back on.
    See if that made the problem go away
    See the problem is I'm not home to check the Log but what is happening is the Wireless is going off not a The modem connection as lights show there is no problem at all and the wife used one of our desktops puters at the same time as there was no wireless and the desktop was OK on the net.

As for rebooting the modem apparently 90% of the time it clears itself but at the end of day this outage doesn't last that long so you don't know if the outage time or the re boot of the modem is clearing the problem.
    Anyhow this weekend it modem testing weekend

Premium Member
    Thanks

The point is was trying to make, was network address clashes.
    Hence why suggested what i did, which is not turning the modem off, but the the whole house off

Spend enough time with complicated networking and you'll know why i suggested it

Whether you are home of not, there are plenty of things your Wife can try in the process of elimination.

I notice you have a Billion wifi adsl modem, i have a similar Billion ADSL Modem, and lately (last few weeks) the WiFI is just not there... then it is... The whole SSID goes missing.
    I have 3 other AP's i can connect too, so it really doesnt bother me, but i have been noticing the Billion WiFi drops out, then is missing from my found AP list.... then after a while, it returns.

Google Billion Wifi issues, you find plenty to read
    Which i am sure you already have
    Last edited by ol' boy; 05-02-15 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks

The point is was trying to make, was network address clashes.
    Hence why suggested what i did, which is not turning the modem off, but the the whole house off

Spend enough time with complicated networking and you'll know why i suggested it

Whether you are home of not, there are plenty of things your Wife can try in the process of elimination.

I notice you have a Billion wifi adsl modem, i have a similar Billion ADSL Modem, and lately (last few weeks) the WiFI is just not there... then it is... The whole SSID goes missing.
    I have 3 other AP's i can connect too, so it really doesnt bother me, but i have been noticing the Billion WiFi drops out, then is missing from my found AP list.... then after a while, it returns.

Google Billion Wifi issues, you find plenty to read
    Which i am sure you already have
    Yes I'm sick of the whole thing. Days have passed I'm at home at 8PM and all is ok but when i'm not home the whinging starts about the drop outs. Personally me thinks its all a put on so I turn back on the Wi Fi access after 9PM for my Son. My wife does not understand that she is responsible for his addiction to the internet because of her lax attitude of letting him do what he wants when it comes to internet use.

Thanks

Netstumbler is nice, but won't help you find any non-WLAN related interference issues. I had issues with an Xbox (wireless controllers on 2.4 GHz) drowning out weak WLAN signals from adaptors at the other end of the house etc. Netstumbler didn't even give any indication of it being there. But the spectrum analyser found it right quick - and I found the Xbox consumes the entire 2.4 GHz band, no channel setting on the WLAN would escape unscathed.

I had an interference job to do once, in a similar fashion it appeared every night, without fail, around the same time. The problem turned out to be a faulty mercury vapour lamp, turned on at dusk by a photo-electric cell, and then off at dawn. Sometimes when they go faulty they emit bulk RF noise. It was about 150 metres away from the antenna, so they can cause problems over a surprisingly wide area.

Some other things to think about too:
    Wireless security camera, on a timer to turn on.
    Baby monitor
    AV sender by a very punctual viewer

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitaux8030 For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (16-02-15),weirdo (12-02-15)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12