Thread: Another Wireless problem but this time its with the PS3

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Another Wireless problem but this time its with the PS3

What I have noticed and this is another wireless problem is whenever my Son gets on his PS3 and plays online games via wireless it runs over my Desktop Hard wired computer like if my computer has stalled. I have two hard wired computers (one a i7) both going directly to the ADSL modem router via there own port but as soon as he gets on I notice the Wireless and ADSL Led on the modem going gangbusters and he is away with no problem and at the same time my computer or either computers on at the same time are as slow as a wet rag. What do you think is causing this and can I fix this so I can have a share of the bandwidth needed to just use the internet and not be stuck at a stop sign.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

maybe the PS3 is getting some big updates?
    I think I read in another thread that you had your sons access to wifi restricted?
    let him leave it on (maybe overnight) and check again the next day

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (06-02-15)

Thanks

What is the brand and model of the modem? Maybe it is time to do an upgrade

• The Following User Says Thank You to Gitch For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (06-02-15)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    Its happening this weekend as a friend of mine is giving us to test a brand new Billion BiPAC 7800NXL and if that's ok I will keep it and if its not ok I will take the plunge and buy a Archer D7

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    maybe the PS3 is getting some big updates?
    I think I read in another thread that you had your sons access to wifi restricted?
    let him leave it on (maybe overnight) and check again the next day
    Yes he tells us when he gets his BIG updates to warn us. Some of the updates are as high as 3 G/b but this is not the problem as its normal online games he plays that causes the problem. Even the Wife complains and she uses a notebook that her connections are as slow as a wet rag.
    Yes Correct my son is addicted to these online game and at an age of 18 he knows nothing about anything. At the end of the day if this means anything our internet speed via OOKla averages around 4.3M/bits per sec (TPG was 1.8 to 2.2 Mbits Per sec) so if this is the problem I would hate to see what it would be like using TPG.
    Question!!
    Using the internet today say on 3 devices on all at the same time and just say one is a desktop, the other is a notebook and finally the PS3 when the three of them are on line don't they share the modem equally say a third of the bandwidth each or does say the PS3 run rough shot over the other two by having the PS3 using 90% of the bandwidth leaving 10% for both the computers. It seems this is what is happening.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

It sounds like the PS3 is hogging the bandwidth for his game, maybe set up some QOS on the modem (if it's available) to limit his b/w and see if that fixes it. It may be related to your other issue.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (06-02-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    Missed this part of your question.
    Netgear N150 Wireless ADSL2 Modem Model DGN 1000. Its about 2 years old from the date of purchase

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    It sounds like the PS3 is hogging the bandwidth for his game, maybe set up some QOS on the modem (if it's available) to limit his b/w and see if that fixes it. It may be related to your other issue.
    Done some reading on this QOS via google and as expected my old modem doesn't have it so I defiently will have to update. yep google showed a newer model of my netgear which has QOS and how it was set up. Interesting!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

still not sure if that is your problem though but time will tell
    my son used to play Xbox and PS3 games online too all the time (he's moved out now though) but we never had problems really
    even when I was being a troll on the net and mrsweirdo was watching Netflix all at the same time
    admittedly we have a slightly faster connection (TPG ADSL 8000 Unlimited which effectively has a max dl speed of about 6M) and using a Billion router

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    still not sure if that is your problem though but time will tell
    my son used to play Xbox and PS3 games online too all the time (he's moved out now though) but we never had problems really
    even when I was being a troll on the net and mrsweirdo was watching Netflix all at the same time
    admittedly we have a slightly faster connection (TPG ADSL 8000 Unlimited which effectively has a max dl speed of about 6M) and using a Billion router
    Our speed is not bad around 4 mbit/per sec but who knows our modem could be to blame. Anyhow I have put off the Modem test this weekend due to feast of motor racing on telle. Cars always comes first. By the way the Billion modem I will be testing has QOS option.