Thread: Emulate iOS on Windows??

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default Emulate iOS on Windows??

I'm trying to add some music to an old friends iPod.

The iPod has been formatted using an Apple.

Windows says it needs to be formatted to read it.

iTunes says; This iPod has been formatted using Macintosh software & will need to be re-formatted to read or add media on this PC. (OWTTE)

I don't want to format it; as I don't want to lose what's on it; he has no way of restoring his music; as his son who lives on the other side of OZ put the current music on it.

So is there a reliable way of emulating Apple iOS on a Win 8 PC & run iTunes as an Apple app?
    Or a reliable way to read & get the music off the iPod; reformat & put it back on with additions on PC?

I've looked at the following links to progs, but they look like a waste of time.
    Edit: sorry forgot the links,:

Until now I had no idea that an iPod was an OS sensitive device.
    Last edited by Tiny; 09-02-15 at 06:44 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Look Here ->
    Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Have you tried 3rd party software?
    I use this for my iPhone etc;

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-02-15),tristen (10-02-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

iTunes is a real problem. Even if the iXXXX device was plugged into a PC across the room, and then moved to yours, iTunes wants to remove everything and set it up again. You may be able to just copy the stuff if you do not load iTunes on the machine and just plug it in. It may then just pop up as another drive. You'll then need to dig down to find the appropriate folder to store the data. I haven't played with a bit of fruit for ages, so can't be more specific.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Have you tried 3rd party software?
    I use this for my iPhone etc;
    Not as yet as most want $30 or more for something I don't really need for myself.

Looks like iMazing is the same, 14 day trial version has limitations & won't complete file transfer.

The only apple device I have is an iPod, iTunes works perfectly for me & I can use it with other peoples iPods as long as they were formatted on a PC.

@lsemmens; no problems with syncing you just abort that set the iPod to disc use & manually manage music - no auto sync.
    Edit: in latest versions of iTunes you can go to Preferences/Devices & set Prevent iPod, iPhones & iPads from syncing automatically. Then do the above.
    Last edited by Tiny; 10-02-15 at 09:50 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Administrator

Thanks

Have you tried using HFS+ for Windows?

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-02-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Have you tried using HFS+ for Windows?
    No it's $20 for something I don't need.

If my neighbor wants to risk it to see if it works I'll give it ago.

Gave the trial version of iMazing a go, no joy, it won't even read the iPod. Yet I can clearly see the iPod has music on it.
    iTunes just says, Restore iPod to factory settings to add media, which will delete the whole device.

Thanks for your suggestions.

This is becoming a time waster for the simple act of adding 3 albums to an iPod.

Will see if I can get a hold of someones Apple PC to add the music with.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

try ifunbox worked for me without issues

once installed plug ipod in and then start the app
    now select quick tool box to find music and upload
    Last edited by fandtm666; 10-02-15 at 10:07 AM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-02-15),Uncle Fester (10-02-15)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

++1 for iFunBox
    It are apps like this that make an iOS device actually usable.

A couple of years ago I was still saying I would never touch any rotten fruit, but now I find myself typing this on a MAC and since 3 months even proud owner of a 1st gen iPad for $90 off Ebay and I am totally 'iTunes' free, LOL.

Edit: why the fuc... does 'iTunes' come up as a link to that totalitarian service? Had to address that issue.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-02-15 at 11:38 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Well iFunbox is a no go.

Thanks to a friend I have been able to try out HFS+, now windows reads the iPod as removable storage drive & with show hidden files I can see & copy/backup everything on the iPod shuffle. Therefore I can read the music by way of iDump into my library & then put it all back on after iTunes restores the device & add the new music.
    What a friggen hassle.

Hasn't helped ifunbox; it still refuses to acknowledge the device is connected & iTunes says device is connected but won't read it unless I restore (format) it. PFT.

So I'll get the owners permission & backup his music, reload everything & we're done.
    Only catch will be his son will probably no longer be able to read the iPod on his Apple crap.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
    Last edited by Tiny; 10-02-15 at 07:25 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Well iFunbox is a no go.

Hasn't helped ifunbox; it still refuses to acknowledge the device is connected & iTunes says device is connected but won't read it unless I restore (format) it. PFT.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
    There is a blog entry on their site about some people having difficulties, with their solutions in the comment section:

I am happy to hear you found a solution.
    Just mentioned this in case somebody who reads this runs into difficulties with iFunBox (and doesn't have a friend )
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-02-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Ok so after successfully adding music to my friends Apple Mac formatted iPod; I'll recap how it went so others may find the easy path.

All info I could find indicates that iPods formatted with the HFS+ format of Apple Macintosh computers cannot be read by Windows PC's.
    Apple macs can however read iPods formatted by Windows PC's using iTunes.

* First of all I managed to read the iPod & back up its contents using a driver called HFS+ for windows & view hidden items.

* Now that windows could read the iPod I tried to download the music into a usable form.
    Tried various programs including iTunes & only one would read the music & download with the assistance of HFS+, that program was iDump.(free version)

* I then decided to trial iDump pro to upload new music to the device, however it said iPod was read only.
    Thought this maybe just because it's a trial version, not so, it would upload music to my Windows formatted iPod with no problems.

* I contacted my friend & asked if he would risk the format & reload of music & he said go ahead.

* Started Restore iPod in iTunes, using my W8.1 PC that had done all the above, ~100Mb software download by iTunes took 4 hours?
    It then went to install the software & threw a failed installation error code.

* tried all the suggestions at Apple to fix the error, no joy.

* was close to giving up then I decided to try another computer; started the Restore iPod in iTunes, using my old Vista Lappy, ~100Mb software download by iTunes took another 4 hours?
    Good thing though as it succeeded.

* made a new iTunes library on my lappy, added all the friends old music & new music he wanted to it, synced it & its all good.

* Renamed & set the iPod to manually manage music so he wont have problems if he connects it to another PC.

Last edited by Tiny; 16-02-15 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add snip of error.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

tristen (16-02-15),weirdo (17-02-15)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    * First of all I managed to read the iPod & back up its contents using a driver called HFS+ for windows & view hidden items.
    Because you didn't provide a link to the HFS+ driver you used, here a link to " HFSExplorer" an Windows application that can read Mac-formatted hard disks and disk images. It can read the file systems HFS (Mac OS Standard), HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and HFSX (Mac OS Extended with case sensitive file names).

Pro: It's free of charge, because open-source
    Con: Requires Java installed
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 17-02-15 at 06:09 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Tiny (17-02-15),tristen (17-02-15)

Administrator

Thanks

Here's something else to use TransMac.
    You can use it free for 15 days, I've used it a few times before with success.
    You'll need to remove your HFS+ driver first though.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

tristen (17-02-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Because you didn't provide a link to the HFS+ driver you used,.....
    Sorry it easy to find; just google HFS+ for Windows

EDIT; Thanks for meantioning HFSExplorer as this looks like a very usable free solution to read a HFS formatted drive; as it should be.

Had a look at it & reviews looks good.

You’ll probably want to use HFSExplorer for this. Unlike all the other options available here, HFSExplorer is completely free. You can use it to access Mac file systems from Windows without paying a dime.

HFSExplorer does require installed. We generally , but it’s necessary here unless you want to spend money. Be sure to disable the Java browser plug-in after installing Java to stay as safe as possible.
    This tool is fairly simple to use. Connect your Mac-formatted drive to your Windows system, open HFSExplorer, and click File > Load File System From Device. HFSExplorer can automatically locate any connected devices with HFS+ file systems and open them. You can then extract files from the HFSExplorer window to your Windows drive.

Note that HFSExplorer is read-only, so you can’t actually modify files stored on your Mac drive or delete them. It also doesn’t integrate with Windows Explorer or File Explorer — files are available in the HFSExplorer application and you must copy them elsewhere.
    Last edited by Tiny; 17-02-15 at 09:14 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Just a thought
    as this works well too