Thread: How to install gps software on PRINSTON device

Thanks

Default How to install gps software on PRINSTON device

i everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. I really fed up searching on the net about this PRINSTON GPS device but in vain. I need to get it work with my country map. It has got a system installed but I can't figure out how to install the map in the SD card or change the OS version.
    Herein a picture of the device and the options in it.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

The informations you gave are absolutely useless. Sorry this to say.

At least needed:
    1. Can you set the GPS Path from within your device's default menu, means can you define the path to navigation software?
    2. Where currently are navigation software/maps stored, on internal flash drive or on sd-card?
    2.a) If located on internal flash drive, then is device "ActiveSync" enabled, means can you establish an USB-connection with PC which allows you to view/change content of flash drive?
    2.b) If located on sd-card, which navigation software/maps are you currently using, what the folder's name?

FYI: If the pre-installed OS is Windows CE, then you should know that the Windows CE installed has nothing to do with navigation software/maps, except it loads the driver(s) for the GPS chip - provided by chip manufacturer. You can't replace current version of Windows CE by another version of Windows CE, it's impossible.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 13-02-15 at 04:23 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    The informations you gave are absolutely useless. Sorry this to say.

At least needed:
    1. Can you set the GPS Path from within your device's default menu, means can you define the path to navigation software?
    2. Where currently are navigation software/maps stored, on internal flash drive or on sd-card?
    2.a) If located on internal flash drive, then is device "ActiveSync" enabled, means can you establish an USB-connection with PC which allows you to view/change content of flash drive?
    2.b) If located on sd-card, which navigation software/maps are you currently using, what the folder's name?

FYI: If the pre-installed OS is Windows CE, then you should know that the Windows CE installed has nothing to do with navigation software/maps, except it loads the driver(s) for the GPS chip - provided by chip manufacturer. You can't replace current version of Windows CE by another version of Windows CE, it's impossible.
    Thanks bro for replying.
    First, the gps map/software is installed on the sd card because when i click on the application a msg pop up saying "gps navigation software not found in sd card"
    second, I don't know the file extension of the map/software to be installed on the sd card so that it can be read by the device.
    herein images of folders and files I find when I connect the device to my computer

Banned

Thanks

The image #2 shows that neither navigation software nor maps are installed in device's internal flash drive, unless the internal flash drive is hidden, and the navigation software indeed is located therein. IIRC then "Total Commander" for Windows CE allows you to view hidden internal flash drive folder(s) - if you know its/their name(s) of course.
    At first glance I believe both navigation software and maps are located on SD-card. Plug SD-card in your PC and open it with Windows Explorer. Then make a screen shot (use Windows's "Snipping Tool") from SD-card's root and all its subdirectories and provide this image(s) here.

BTW: In the world of MS Windows, so also in Windows CE, an executable file (i.e. navigation software) always has extension .EXE
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 13-02-15 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks

The image #2 shows that neither navigation software nor maps are installed in device's internal flash drive, unless the internal flash drive is hidden, and the navigation software indeed is located therein. IIRC then "Total Commander" for Windows CE allows you to view hidden internal flash drive folder(s) - if you know its/their name(s) of course.
    At first glance I believe both navigation software and maps are located on SD-card. Plug SD-card in your PC and open it with Windows Explorer. Then make a screen shot (use Windows's "Snipping Tool") from SD-card's root and all its subdirectories and provide this image(s) here.

BTW: In the world of MS Windows, so also in Windows CE, an executable file (i.e. navigation software) always has extension .EXE

the pictures I sent you are captured with the hidden option off. means hidden files are also there.
    I've got the device with no sd card in it .
    so, the matter is how to install the right map/software format

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westwind View Post
    so, the matter is how to install the right map/software format
    What I'ld do:

1) Purchase a navigation software which comes with up-to-date maps, for example , which runs on Windows CE 4.2, 5 & 6 and comes with the latest NAVTEQ maps ( Navteq 2014Q3 ) for selected countries and regions (currently +60 countries) - Desnav offer a 7-day-trial. Of course also some freeware products on the market, for example which relies on Openstreetmaps (OSM) maps.
    2) When got the SD-card from vendor, or downloaded the navigation software from manufacturer's web site and copied onto SD-card, plug SD-card it into your PRINSTON device.
    3) Point your PRINSTON device to run the navigation software w/ maps on SD-card.

Thanks

What I'ld do:

1) Purchase a navigation software which comes with up-to-date maps, for example , which runs on Windows CE 4.2, 5 & 6 and comes with the latest NAVTEQ maps ( Navteq 2014Q3 ) for selected countries and regions (currently +60 countries) - Desnav offer a 7-day-trial. Of course also some freeware products on the market, for example which relies on Openstreetmaps (OSM) maps.
    2) When got the SD-card from vendor, or downloaded the navigation software from manufacturer's web site and copied onto SD-card, plug SD-card it into your PRINSTON device.
    3) Point your PRINSTON device to run the navigation software w/ maps on SD-card.
    Hi brother. Thanks for devoting your time for me.
    I followed the steps you told me; I looked for a gps software with my country map and successfully installed onto my sd card, but my device still pop up the msg "navigation software not found in sd card" and there is no option that can refer me to the exe file from the device to the sd card. I've got the impression that my device doesn't read the sd card.
    This what I got installed on the sd card

Thanks

my device still pop up the msg "navigation software not found in sd card" and there is no option that can refer me to the exe file from the device to the sd card.
    Hi westwind.
    Usually installing a navigation software is not enough to be linked to the navigation button you have on your panel.

Can you copy the ControlPanel.lnk file to your PC, right click it and open with Notepad for example.
    See what does it say and post here.
    That will show the location of your control panel interface. Go to the folder and make another screenshot to show what is there.
    Hopefully it will have some editable file where you can point the navigation button to your software installed on sd card.
    If you have trouble doing it yourself, post what you can see and we can give you more instructions.

P.S. What options do you have when you select the GPS menu from the screen?
    Last edited by fromaron; 15-02-15 at 02:13 PM.

Banned

Thanks

I've got the impression that my device doesn't read the sd card.
    Have a break, read here:

EDIT:

Under Windows CE, normally the names of the SD-card / MMC-card / TF-card / USB-stick... folders are stored in the registry under the key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\ ...]

eg:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\ SDMemory]
    "Folder"="Storage Card SD"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\ MMC]
    "Folder"="Storage Card MMC"

where the value of key "Folder" is the name Windows CE internally uses for the SD-card / MMC-card / TF-card / USB-stick.

So, if you don't know the name of the SD-card / MMC-card / TF-card / USB-stick internally used by Windows CE, at your PC install if not done yet. Connect your PRINSTON device to PC. Run CeRegEditor.

Navigate in CE's registry to

walk the chain of profiles until you find the correct entry, eg:

"Name"="SD MMC device"
    "Folder"="SD Card"

BTW: Well known profiles are "SDMemory", "SDMemory1", "SDHCMemory", "MMC", "SDMMC", "HSMMC", etc.pp
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 15-02-15 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

Have a break, read here:

EDIT:

Under Windows CE, normally the names of the SD-card / MMC-card / TF-card / USB-stick... folders are stored in the registry under the key:

eg:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\ SDMemory]
    "Folder"="Storage Card SD"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\ MMC]
    "Folder"="Storage Card MMC"

where the value of key "Folder" is the name Windows CE internally uses for the SD-card / MMC-card / TF-card / USB-stick.

So, if you don't know the name of the SD-card / MMC-card / TF-card / USB-stick internally used by Windows CE, at your PC install if not done yet. Connect your PRINSTON device to PC. Run CeRegEditor.

Navigate in CE's registry to

walk the chain of profiles until you find the correct entry, eg:

"Name"="SD MMC device"
    "Folder"="SD Card"

BTW: Well known profiles are "SDMemory", "SDMemory1", "SDHCMemory", "MMC", "SDMMC", "HSMMC", etc.pp
    Hi friend,
    this what I found with CeRegEditor

this why i said my device doesn't read the sd card

the 'control panel.lnk' seems to be just shortcut and cannot be edited

Banned

Thanks

this why i said my device doesn't read the sd card

OK, then it's clarified: SD-card gets not initialized/installed when device boots - this may take up 10 secs. If SD-card you use is >2GB and FAT32-formatted, try to use a 2GB FAT-formatted one. If still no luck, then proably any SD-card you plug in will not be recognized by Windows CE. Either the card-reader is defective or the driver is faulty/corrupted.

The only chance you have to install a navigation software w/maps on your PRINSTON device is to copy current (complete) content of SD-card onto your PRINSTON device's internal flash drive which is presented to you as "Flash Disk". Of course only, if you can set the "GPS PATH" from within your PRINSTON device's menu: Remember this was my 1st question in post #2. You never answered this!

the 'control panel.lnk' seems to be just shortcut and cannot be edited

Incidentally, I do not understand what the mischief with Contol Panel.lnk: What has Windows CE's Control Panel (i.e. Adminstrative Tools) to do with your problem? All the files you see in \Windows are ROM-based, copied at device's boot to device's internal flash drive, if not of type XIP. Hence they are neither editable nor overwriteable - but overrideable for the duration the PRINSTON is powered on. And there is a good reason for this: If device boots you always are provided with the original executables/drivers optimized for the device and OEM intended to be used/run.

If you want to know which executable your PRINSTON starts as "Main Menu", you have to look in CE's registry under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init]

If found out you can consider to replace this "Main Menu" executable with a launcher of your choice. But that's a complete other story, far out of scope of current thread.

Anyways, for me the job here is done, this is my last contribution here. Thanks for your understanding.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 16-02-15 at 05:57 PM.