Thread: Wireless internet usage meter

Premium Member

Thanks

Default Wireless internet usage meter

Noticed lately some unusual internet usage with my 4G wireless modem. Have a tablet running windows 8 and query whether there is some program I can install that will monitor what internet sites I visit and my usage of these.

Connect to the 4G modem by WiFi.

Thanks for any recommendations that can be offered.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

id look at running tasks
    thers a lot you can shut off
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Who is your ISP? They may offer a usage meter. IIRC my Galaxy Note came with such a program from Telstra that I occasionally interrogate on occasion.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Most people if they speak of "Internet Usage Meter" mean "Record and Analyze Data". Don't think it's that what you have meant. But please correct me.

If you don't have meant "Record and Analyze Data"

First of all:
    Each browser logs your internet activity unless you disabled the "history" feature. Of course time spent on a visited site isn't measured.

Secondly:
    If you’re only interested in global logging - keeping a record of every URL visited from your internet connection you’ll need the following things:

1. A router that allows you to set custom DNS servers (the vast majority of routers do)
    2. A free OpenDNS account

It requires only a few minutes of setup. The downside is that this router & OpenDNS method only allows you to see that requests are being made from your network and not who is making them. A smaller downside is that it’s not in real time so you’ll have to wait roughly a day for the logs to update for review.
    Again, time spent on a visited site isn't measured.

EDIT: If your router does not allow you to set custom DNS servers, you can alternatively do it within Windows OS. A good HOW-TO (based on Windows 7) you find .
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 31-03-15 at 05:16 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I have to contact my ISP on another matter so will see what they have to offer. Hopefully the excess data will be sorted out.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I use Telstra 'BigPond' and all I ever have found to show what I use on a daily basis is in the Internet account but it isnt in 'Real Time' and only shows the total used for the 24 hour period.
    I would like to see it broken down to show more detail as my Son uses Facebook and I know when he's away, the difference in the daily usage is quite considerable and I would like to show him exactly how much it does consume.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I would like to see it broken down to show more detail as my Son uses Facebook and I know when he's away, the difference in the daily usage is quite considerable and I would like to show him exactly how much it does consume.

I have Net Guard 64-bit version in use, works perfect in Windows 8.1

1. Cucusoft Net Guard can monitor what is using your Broadband and the amount of traffic they consume. It can give you a detailed report regarding which program/s is using your broadband. (No need to worry about your personal privacy concern as it just simply checks how many bytes is used for uploading/downloading via Broadband. It does not check and save the content in any Internet Data packages.)
    2. You may set a traffic limit per month. Net Guard will notify you before your bandwidth usage reaches its limit so you can manage the use of your broadband in the future to avoid Extra Usage Bill.
    3. Cucusoft Net Guard has a forecast feature that automatically calculates the projected bandwidth for the current month. This feature gives you a heads up as to whether your usage will exceed your monthly limit.
    4. If you find a suspicious program utilizing your Broadband and misusing your data transfer rate, we give you the power to terminate it to save your bandwidth usage which will make you surf the Internet faster and smoother.
    5. You will be conveniently informed as to which program comsumes most traffic, per week and per month. .
    6. It records traffic details daily and you can quickly check the previous months’ records and so on.
    7. You can easily check the current upload and download bandwidth usage.
    8. It includes a small real-time floating window which indicates the real-time Internet uploading and downloading speed. You have the option to hide or adjust the window's opacity to make it appear transparent if you feel bothered by it. The floating window provides information on your ongoing Broadband speed, let's say, you are using Skype for a video chat, you can instantly check the real-time floating window to see your current speed. If the upload > 60K/s and download > 100K/s, it means your broadband environment is in good shape, you would get high audio/video quality. Even when you are watching online videos, you can verify your speed status via the floating window.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post

I have Net Guard 64-bit version in use, works perfect in Windows 8.1
    Thanks, that seems more what I am after. Something that will tell me what is using the data and when.

Premium Member

Thanks

Have downloaded Cucusoft net guard and it seems to be what I am after. However the screen display is to large for my 10 inch tablet and a lot of the information disappears on the lower part of the screen.

Is there something I can do to make it fit ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Banned

Thanks

Try to change your tablet's screen resolution to highest possible value.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for your guidance, actually went into control panel and reduced the size of the display to 100%. A bit of messing around with restarting etc but that's not to much of a bother.

Can now see the whole Cusoft screen and work things out. A handy program to have and watch what is doing what.

Cheers