Thread: Wacky WIFI

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Wacky WIFI

About a week ago I was given a badly infected laptop to cure. All sorted and owner happy. Since then my WIFI has been flaky as anything. I've reset the modem scanned my lappy (which was the only machine to have any physical - via a thumb drive - contact with said machine). I backed up all data across the wifi network, but have not opened any of those files so I doubt that my problem is virus related as some of my machines were not connected at the time.

I can log in via Wifi, sometimes, (at present my phone is working fine, as is son's but... my lappy now does not want to talk with wifi, nor my office machine, (which has been off until today), nor my daughter in law's phone.

I've performed a system re-set on the modem and am typing this on my lappy physically connected to the modem. My media server which is also connected to the modem cannot see the network.

It's crazy, I don't want to have to perform a system re-load on (minimum) 4 computers, but it's getting to the stage that it is the only thing I have yet to try.

FWIW - there are no new wireless transmitting devices in my home and I doubt that either of my near neighbours is the culprit in that, on one side, she is hardly there, and the other side has had the potential for years in that she talks to the farm via radio with an aerial mounted high on a mast but I've never had problems with that.

Any ideas?

Since I typed this, I can now log in using WIFI on both my Office PC and my laptop. If I say the problem is fixed, I can guarantee that it won't be by morning!!!! Aaaaaaaargh!!!!!

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

A lot of variables are involved when you connect to a network: cables, network adapters, drivers, and routers. So troubleshooting network connection problems can be challenging.

If it's machine with Windows 8.x OS, Microsoft offers 3 tools: Network Troubleshooter, Internet Connections Troubleshooter and Network Adapter Troubleshooter.

FYI: In Windows 8.x you access the troubleshooters by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering troubleshooting in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Troubleshooting. Tap or click Network and Internet, and then tap or click Internet Connections.

See also here:

LSemmens
    Thanks

The point seems to be moot, now, it's all back to "normal" FWIW. My machines all run a variety of OS, from XP to W7 with a 'roid or two thrown in. There's even a bit of fruit in the mix occasionally.

I am well aware of the 'Network" troubleshooter which is next to useless if you haven't got a connection to play with. All it does it tell you to "reset the" whatever, as if I haven't already done that. Any way, for now all is happy again.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I am well aware of the 'Network" troubleshooter which is next to useless if you haven't got a connection to play with. All it does it tell you to "reset the" whatever, as if I haven't already done that.
    Must admit I have not used these MS tools yet, because for me never was a need for.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The fact all seems to be 'back to normal' cancels out my idea that maybe you coincidentally had a problem with the wifi section of your L/top.
    I dont know how yours works but in a now ancient ASUS Lappy I have, it had a separate removable WIFI module that was working as you describe yours in connecting ok one minute then not the next time or not surfing and/or dropping out when connected.
    I eventually removed the module and connected a WIFI add on via one of the USB ports and never had another moments problem with connecting to the modem.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks

If it were only one device, I'd immediately think along your lines too, gordon, but it is a variety of devices which led me to think it was the modem/router. I have also replaced that and was also getting intermittent radio dropouts with that too. It leads me to think that something in the vicinity is causing the RFI but I've not added any new electrical (including engines) items in recent history. Unless one of my neighbours has a high powered device pointing my way. (The nearest house is 100m away from my modem)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

It could be possible that one of your neighbours, if close enough, has a radio transmitter for a hobby toy operating on your wifi frequency.

My Radio control for my toy wipes out my wireless connection from laptop to network when turned on within 100m of laptop.

It operates on a transmission level of 100mW at 2.4 GHz.
    My toys transmitter for video feed is 200mW at 5.8 GHz.

BTW some of these toys can be operated inside the house so you may not see them using it.

Also the outputs that are capable of the toy imported from the USA & China are generally outside the Australian regulated outputs.
    EG; My toy gets thru due to the fact it can be turned down to 25mW so as not to interfere with other devices.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."