Thread: GPS maps and Apps for IOS Apple iPhone

Thanks

Default GPS maps and Apps for IOS Apple iPhone

I have just inherited and apple iPhone 5 and was wondering what GPS application people recommend installing on this phone?
    From what i've read Igo Primo and TomTom seem to be the ones to get for Apple devices.

I had a good search around the net and couldn't seem to find any download links and tutorials for installing maps and GPS software on Apple phones. From my understanding I need to jailbreak the phone before installing the GPS software and keeping the maps up to date. Phone is running IOS 8.1.2

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    From what i've read Igo Primo and TomTom seem to be the ones to get for Apple devices.
    Old wives tales that is hawked regularly again for some years now. Not the navigation software is of importance, but the accuracy of maps used and processed by the navigation software.

I had a good search around the net and couldn't seem to find any download links and tutorials for installing maps and GPS software on Apple phones.
    Dozens of GPS navigation softwares are available for iPhone. Some of those offer helpful features such as free map updates, live traffic, lane assistance, and more.

You simply look here:

From my understanding I need to jailbreak the phone before installing the GPS software and keeping the maps up to date.
    Wondering how you came to this conclusion.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 02-05-15 at 03:52 AM.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I've been running TomTom Australia on mine for the last few years and have no complaints.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (02-05-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

+1
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Jailbreaking is needed for 'free' GPS apps but there is an endless cycle of reinstalling the app with each map update.

For about $15 you can get metroview with free map updates...not a bad app but not quite as good as Tomtom.

My favorite is tomtom but I got sick of the often big lag times between tomtom map updates and the 'free' ones so took the plunge and for a once only $60 now have genuine tomtom with continual free map updates the moment they are released

Maps.me is a free offline GPS app and you get to select your map downloads from all over the world, so if you travel a lot you just add another country
    Last edited by mandc; 02-05-15 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Jailbreaking is needed for 'free' GPS apps but there is an endless cycle of reinstalling the app with each map update.

Maps.me is a free offline GPS app and you get to select your map downloads from all over the world, so if you travel a lot you just add another country
    Thats what I was thinking. Decent up to date offline maps. I already have IGO Primo running on an old Android phone and find that very good. Easy to update maps, cameras and custom POI. I was thinking that Jailbreak was needed access the file system so the Maps, cameras and POI files can be updated without having to reinstall the GPS application. If I spend spend $30-$60 on something like igo primo or TomTom It will give me unlimited updates to the New map and camera updates when released. And also the ability to install custom POI.

As I was looking for information about this on the TomTom and Igo web sites but couldn't find anything about there map and camera updates for IOS devices.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

If you pay for Tomtom once, it gives you unlimited map updates. It does not reinstall the entire GPS application as far as I am aware when map updates occur. I have mine set for auto updates but you can easily set it for manual with notifications when new maps are available.

On mine, I can't find an ability to set custom POI's but you do get a choice of which types of POI's appaer on your map

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    If you pay for Tomtom once, it gives you unlimited map updates. It does not reinstall the entire GPS application as far as I am aware when map updates occur. I have mine set for auto updates but you can easily set it for manual with notifications when new maps are available.
    Good to know. What about safety camera updates? Are they also included in the updates or does one still have to pay exra for those?

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Camera updates are free.
    If you want 'Live Traffic' you'll have to pay for it - I don't use it myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Camera updates are free.
    If you want 'Live Traffic' you'll have to pay for it - I don't use it myself.
    I tried using the Live Traffic app on my iPhone but found it fairly useless for Newcastle.

GPSwise, I am still using Sygic, years down the track. I *think* it still uses Sensi data.

Thanks

I tried three different Sat Nav apps on the iPhone. I rated them below in order of preference.

1) Sygate: Excellent 2d/3d maps. Customizable verbal warning Female voice for AU is ok. Although like most AU navigation voices it still has problems pronouncing a few Street and Suburb names on a test run.

2) Tomtom: TomTom for iPhone and whist it looks ok. From what I can see. The ability to not be able to install custom warning sounds. Not just be stuck with the bundled sounds. Also no option for warning when near POI is a real let down. Which is a major feature of the stand alone GPS units that I really like. As well as warnings for just school zones. Sure there is an option for warning when near places of worship and schools. I don't want to be warned every time I drive past a church etc. Just schools.

I think If they added custom sounds to be added and school zones. Without religious sites then Tomtom Would be my preference.

3) Navigon: Beeps and screen flashing when approaching safety cameras. No customisable sounds. Can't see any setting for warnings near POI or school zones
    Last edited by Greg; 15-05-15 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks

Back to this thread after a few months. I've found the last two updates for Sygic have made the application less intuitive and easy to use, to the point where I have deleted it and will likely just use Waze or Navmii instead. I'm also considering Tomtom again.