Thread: "speed" function on cheap GPS's?

Thanks

Default "speed" function on cheap GPS's?

Hi all,

I have an old cheap Chinese iGo GPS that has a function where I can set it to speed, and it just gives me a large readout of the current speed (no map), and the little man inside warns me when I'm over the speed limit.

I want another cheapy, but also with that feature if possible. Do they all do this? Or should I look for another iGo? Or a particular model?

Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Years ago Uniden made an actual speed only display using dot RED LEDs which was excellent but was long ago discontinued.
    No 'Voice' like todays but it had numerous visual/audible alerts included.
    After many years of use it finally died a few weeks ago dammit !!!

Both my late Navman and the current GoCruise only showed current speed when a planned Route was set bu in each case, it was so small to be almost unreadable as you drove.
    The current GoCruise shows the posted speed limit for the area you in but only warns when you exceed that limit using Voice and changing colour.
    Good but useless if the posted limit gets changed which happens and you cant alter the program to show the new speed.
    Not cheap but I have been considering something with a 'Heads Up' speed display as that type seem to be more readily available than those with Maps which I dont want as I already have the GoCruise.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-05-15 at 02:54 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,969 Times in 1,289 Posts

Hi Nomadic1

Have a look at this

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Premium Member

Thanks

Firstly I am NOT touting this one against that one SS Dave has listed but I would suggest you read the specs carefully between them and the price difference as its quite different.
    I have to say if I do eventually get one, this Polaris seems to be a good buy in every respect.

I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I thought that all GPS had the ability to show the speed you are travelling and the road speed that had been programmed into the map. I haven't found any that allow for variations of speed limits as sometimes varied via illuminated overhead screens and sometimes just temporary restriction signs. Years ago we had a very small TomTom that had the speed shown nice and large then there was an upgrade and the upgrade downgraded it to be so tiny as to be unreadable, plus then it no longer worked unless we had a destination programmed into it. We tossed it in the rubbish, so check "upgrades " before you load them. Now we actually need to use one again so looking for one that has the 2 speeds shown, but also allows us to program the route we want to take, one we were testing out took us an extra 7.5 ks round back roads and back to almost where we turned off. We gave that back with our thanks to its owner.

Thanks

I have a cheap 2 year old navig8tr gps , pressing on the speed indication at the middle bottom of the map screen will show a large numeral speed display.
    the thing cost me 88 bucks from hardly normal....
    member. Austech dog squad: if it can be fixed the dogs will sniff it out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

One question about accuracy of GPS speed readouts is; what is the accuracy of the instantaneous readout? Considering that current speed is updated at the rate of the GPS received data, which used to be at a rate of once per second (I don't know if it is a faster rate these days) you have two possible situations. 1) the speed readout is refreshed at the rate of the data receive rate, and 2) the GPS unit uses an algorithm to give a predicted speed, at a faster refresh rate, between received data refreshes.

The reason this comes to mind is when viewing video from a dash cam with GPS functions, the speed displayed was a bit dubious in footage where I had to brake severely to avoid hitting a kid on a pushy that appeared from behind a stone column near where I live. The speed readout stayed around 40KPH till a couple few frames before was almost at a standstill.

Not wanting to hi jack the thread, but it is a consideration when trying to find out specs of any of these systems.

Thanks

Finally got sorted. Bought a Chinese cheapy off the Bay, and after a little playing around, I got just what I wanted.

It came with diMkaWertVRV_11118 skin pre installed.

That had the large digital speedo readout available, buried deep in the menus.

So I got what I wanted. I'm happy.

Premium Member

Thanks

What we need now is the ability to set speed warnings over short sections of the road where you have those adjustable signs, road works or changes made since the Data was first released.
    Unfortunately this could possibly take you longer to alter than the speed warning lasts for but its a rare drive today that hasnt got some speed reduction from the normal posted speeds.