Thread: Domestic dial alternatives for NBN.

Thanks

Default Domestic dial alternatives for NBN.

Im looking for alternatives for customers that currently have their security system dial their mobile phone via PSTN that are looking to switch to the NBN (ie. no copper service). Any suggestions?
    SeKTeK

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Hi
    seg gsm with a pre payed sim works good with nx
    panel.done a few works well....

Thanks

If the NBN unit has battery backup and they have activated one voice port could you reconnect the mode 3 via the voice port? As you can plug in and use a normal phone of the voice port.

Thanks

The problem is if their phone service is on the uni-d port as this service is not battery backed up. Suggest a GPRS unit with built in modem for remote access.

Thanks

Sorry missed the bit about the client running their own control room by mobile phone.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Wouldn't this be treated similar to Medical Alarm/Monitor systems operating over voice lines. My understanding is that only a few retailers will support them, Telstra, iiNet and Commander. Using their equipment and via the Uni-D port on the connection box. Organizing a battery backup as well.

Thanks

If they are self monitoring fully aware of the reliability of this service/product they'll probably want to go something IP based seeing as how it's also unreliable. In Which case, look at something like a BlueHub.

They should probably put a sign up saying "Alarm is Powered by IP/NBN" on the front of there house also. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how terrible this option is. Anyone at all can make the whole system useless just by opening up the external utility Box on the side of the house and cutting the cable.
    Last edited by Adro; 24-05-15 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adro View Post
    I'm sure I don't have to tell you how terrible this option is. Anyone at all can make the whole system useless just by opening up the external utility Box on the side of the house and cutting the cable.
    Or by ignoring their mobile phone when in a meeting.

Even when it 'works' its a failure waiting to happen.

Thanks

The next few years are going to be interesting. There'll be a shift towards so call self monitoring and those bullshit subscription based cloud alternatives to an onsite NVR. That's before the public and insurance companies wake up again. Local dialler/self monitoring what ever you want to call it. Anyone in the industry selling a client equipment to assist with this sort of rubbish should hand their security license in and go driving a forklift for a living.

Thanks

As much as I agree with you Drift, some people just don't/wont go with monitoring by a control room. Yes they are aware of the consequences and (un)reliability issues, but happy to "take the risk" because "they have nothing really to protect anyway".

While those of us in the industry would always rather another monitored client if nothing else than for the few $, some customers just will not do it, but don't want a completely local system, so sometimes setting up that option is the only option to keep a client (happy), The company I work for has only setup 6 of these...

Sorry, but you have to be realistic in the argument. If not, then I will hand my licences in tomorrow on your say-so and go find a job elsewhere.

On a side note, people installing them need to be aware of imminent 2g network closures so limited life of the option when using GSM devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    If the NBN unit has battery backup and they have activated one voice port could you reconnect the mode 3 via the voice port? As you can plug in and use a normal phone of the voice port.
    Considering the cost of the monthly fee some providers charge for the Uni V port, you could just as easily monitor the premise via a DTU.

For the sites I do I explain the difference in a fibre connection, UNI-V and Uni-D ports, most are surprised that a phone can not be plugged in and make a phone call. I have never connected an alarm panel to a VOIP service even if it will cost me a job here an there.

• The Following User Says Thank You to xr5adam For This Useful Post:

Drift (26-05-15)

Thanks

why dont they monitor via IP on their data port and just add battery backup ?

Thanks

Cost, everyone is trying to keep costs down these days

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xr5adam View Post
    Cost, everyone is trying to keep costs down these days
    This is not a modern phenomena.

The problem is exacerbated by alarm technicians who encourage a belief that spending 2hrs repairing a ten year old system is sensible. The customer will always go for what seems a 'cheap solution' even though in the long run it is neither cheap nor a solution.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

Drift (29-05-15),secure (29-05-15)

Thanks

Unfortunately this is becoming common and it's not just an economic issue, it's the increased use of smart phones, IPads etc.
    People expect connectivity and integration.

I believe the Paradox MG series gear with their IP unit will do the job, and their site provides a free DNS service. If you are so inclined to use Paradox