Thread: Digital TV suddenly looses ABC channels

Thanks

Default Digital TV suddenly looses ABC channels

Had a quick search of forums with no real result so here goes:

last weekend Perth (west aust) had bit of rain not that i was worried by that we need it badly, this is when my issues started.ABC was very pixellated which i put down to wind and interference all other channels were OK.

Some stage I totally lost ABC period. Contacted ABC faults just in case there was a mast issue they weren't aware of, and everything was OK according to them. I had already re-tuned at least twice with no luck, suggested i re-tune going directly via coax into tv instead of via pvr. did this and yep sure enough had ABC again.

Then as we all very bright sparks you know what I will say next, I have lost ABC again !

Surely I shouldn't have to be retuning every 2nd day or thereabouts. considering its happened twice within 8 days what are chances some form of circuit inside both TV and PVR have been damaged or failed ?

Any info greatly appreciated

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

It's more likely to be a signal issue with your reception.

Do you have any way of measuring (and posting) BER and signal strength readings?

Thanks

Don't have any equipment for BER levels unless TV has some form of way of displaying it in tools setup etc - shall go have a look though see if I can get some info

Thanks

Had a quick look found the signal strength area all channels ok except for VHF 12 (ABC range) that simply said unable to receive with no other readings etc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It's more likely to be a signal issue with your reception.
    I would go with that as well, however the issue is occurring.

It could be helpful if you can post more information, viz:

Make & model of TV & PVR, and how they are connected (Composite, component, HDMI),

The Perth suburb you are in,

The last time the TV antenna installation was looked at, failing that, how old the installation is,

How many TV points run from that antenna,

The type of flyleads that are used to connect the wallplate to the PVR, the PVR to the TV (eg are they good quality quadshield coax).

Quote Originally Posted by jarrah7 View Post
    suggested i re-tune going directly via coax into tv instead of via pvr. did this and yep sure enough had ABC again.

Then as we all very bright sparks you know what I will say next, I have lost ABC again !
    So did you lose the ABC on the TV when the lead was plugged into directly, or after you connected it back through the PVR?
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Based on a recent problem I had first intermittently losing the ABC after my area did the 'Restack' last October to the total loss of all channels over the Easter weekend had me running around in circles until in a 'Eureka' moment which pointed me to the solution.
    My aggravating fault it seems was in a powered 2 way splitter that has gone very weird.
    Since its complete removal, except for a couple of seconds of pixeling every now and again which in my location is normal, its been normal reception since.
    You say your in a Perth Suburb so most likely no splitter/amps in line so you can disregard that so you need to follow MTV's list to track down whats causing the problem starting at the antenna and checking as best you can between it and the TV and even to the point of connecting another TV/PVR to ensure none of those are the problem.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Tv is a LG 32LS4600
    PVR is also LG - can't find the model number

Hills antenna is matched to area installed early 2013 so just over two years old runs RG6 quad shielded coax per specs required. Then small lead of RG6b using F type connectors with a interseries adaptor F/PAL.

Coax from wall plate runs normally into PVR then uses small RG59 coax between PVR and TV - has run extremely well until last weekend.

I observed or rather felt some heat from PVR outlet where coax is inserted (PAL type) which I don't believe is normal so I have replaced that length with a pre-made length of RG6 from electronic retailer.

So far is working for time being -see how it goes over next few days.

Touchwood problem solved, but still amke me ponder why just ABC and not all channels

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Firstly Digital is plain bloody minded because I asked the same question when this Amp/splitter failed as I believe it has, Why the ABC and mid afternoon until late then over the Easter, gradually taking out the 3 commercials one after the other leaving SBS although very degraded until it too disappeared.

I would be very suspicious and wary of any heat emanating from that connection if you could feel warmth in the cable from it.

Not reading your post properly and in the mindset all connectors are F type, I realised you have a combination of both types and you have now replaced one along with a new cable which made me wonder if the PAL plug itself was the culprit.

Possibly the PAL connector wasnt making as good a contact as needed as it does happen or even tarnish if the quality of the plating on the connector is poor which could cause a loss of signal.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I have a similar problem,no problems with a digital antenna with RG6 quad shield and 4 point splitter, as soon as I connect the Fetch TV box, I lose the signal on all ABC.. (at night time mainly from 9 pm), morning and afternoon ok..I lose signal on my Dick Smith Box and my LG Plasma..all the rest of the channels ok...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CONAXLE View Post
    as soon as I connect the Fetch TV box, I lose the signal on all ABC
    How are you connecting Fetch TV box, with HDMI?

If so, disconnect the HDMI cable from the Fetch TV box entirely & connect the Fetch TV box using composite cable only, and see if the problem still occurs.

Does the LG Plasma have a digital tuner internally, or are you using the Dick Smith box to watch TV on the LG?
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

Yes, the Fetch Tv is connected to LG Plasma via HDMI, The LG has internal Digital Tuner built in. The Dick Smith box is connected on the master bedroom to Analogue TV. seems strange as I haven't had this problem before..will try the composite cable...