Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Govt Announces NBN Satellite Launch

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Further to my post re the New Residents, when I had a better look the next time I drove past, the IPSTAR dish is still in place and pointing as before but the Foxtel dish looks like its been replaced with a new one as its all shiny new.
    Because the house has been empty for about 2 years and I think the previous tenants used the Foxtel dish for VAST before that , it possibly only had a single output LNB and today with a new connection, I gather the customer gets a MyStar (Regional) which needs the dual type LNB.

So, no early connection on SkyMuster it seems...........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Will you be getting a New NBN Satellite Dish & New Modem & New cabling etc Tiny ?

I would appreciate it if you could post a few pics of your NBN Satellite set up .... when it is up and working ......

& Any out of pocket expenses ...... if you wish to divulge .....

And what you think of it ...... Please ...

OK install finished, good service, excellent tech.

New everything including cable to/from dish as it is an uprated cable for the new system.
    No out of pocket expenses.

Interesting; it's one cable for RX/TX.

Speed test showing ~24Mbps.
    Ping is still ~600ms
    Can't get upload speed possibly due to the single cable?
    Tech wasn't sure why, however said the installs he has done are all doing it.
    Upload is still working & seems fast, just not on speed test.

New Modem/sat decoder

Smaller solid dish; looks about 80cm + LNBf/BUC.
    Actually operates on KA band.
    Last edited by Tiny; 17-05-16 at 05:13 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (17-05-16),tristen (18-05-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Late this afternoon I found the details about the install .
    I had no idea the Modem/decoder has to be MOUNTED onto the wall, I thought it would 'stand alone' like the previous one did so now I have to find an accessible spot near the power outlet.

My instructions re the WiFi router are the same as yours were Tiny that its 'prefigured' by the ISP !!!

I did not want to buy a new one but because of problems I had earlier, I didnt want to take the chance of it happening again.

The 'Tech' rang me this afternoon and said as I expected that he cant use the Tripod that's still in place from the Ipstar dish, dammit !!!

I hope its as you want Tiny and is better than what you had before.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-05-16 at 07:08 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    The 'Tech' rang me this afternoon and said as I expected that he cant use the Tripod that's still in place from the Ipstar dish, dammit !!!

I hope its as you want Tiny and is better than what you had before.
    Yeah; the mount is a similar mount to the 80cm installs of Fox/Austar, unfortunately due to the requirements of the supplier (NBN), the new prescribed equipment must be used & your installer has to take pics of the install to submit with his installation report, so he has no choice but to use the new stuff.

The service is unbelievably excellent compared to what I have been putting up with on the overcrowded Interim NBN sat service.

My neighbour who also had this installed today said he has Skype running perfectly on this new system & is extremely happy. No lag, no drop-out.

BTW; for OSIRUS & anyone else that cares the Modem is a ViaSat, model number RM 5120.
    Googling that model seams to give nothing; & as it is only being installed in recent weeks, my installer has done 6 so far, it is a special model for NBN & SkyMuster.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (17-05-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    OK install finished, good service, excellent tech.

New everything including cable to/from dish as it is an uprated cable for the new system.
    No out of pocket expenses.

Interesting; it's one cable for RX/TX.

Speed test showing ~24Mbps.
    Ping is still ~600ms
    Can't get upload speed possibly due to the single cable?
    Tech wasn't sure why, however said the installs he has done are all doing it.
    Upload is still working & seems fast, just not on speed test.

New Modem/sat decoder

Smaller solid dish; looks about 80cm + LNBf/BUC.
    Actually operates on KA band.
    Nice install, 24Mbps I would be happy with that .....

thanks for the pics & the information,

Hope you enjoy the world of Internet IPTV, & everything else this install makes possible .....

Please keep us posted

cheers
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 17-05-16 at 08:23 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yes I'm sure in perfect conditions, weather perfect, no background downloads by W10, 25Mbps would be achievable.

The rated Upload on my plan is 5Mbps.

This plan speed of 25/5 is optional for $5/month extra on the standard plan speed of 12/1.

IPTV & any large streaming usage is still going to be a token event; as the plan I'm on is only 15Gb peak with 50Gb off-peak, so I'd have to stream in the middle of the night as NBN has defined that off-peak is between 1am & 7am.
    For an extra $10/month I could probably do it in daylight hours if I was that keen; on the 35Gb peak/60Gb off-peak plan.
    See plans here,

The Modem (Network Termination Device) appears to take some time to establish connection if turned off at the power point over night as I do here to conserve power.
    Took near 5 minutes to get a stable connection this morning. Old modem took ~1 minute.
    No big deal, I'll just turn the power on to it when I get up every morning & by the time I sit down to breakfast the internet will be ready to browse; with speed.
    Actually the manual says to keep it turned on at all times except dish maintenance?
    The tech said he thought it was OK to turn it off over night or during periods of no usage??

Not sure if I really need to turn this one off as it has a sleep mode, not sure how & when it enters sleep mode?
    Could be it will do so if no activity or network connections after a prescribed time. The manual is a little low on detail.

Power pack says output=48V 1.875A, so in use it could be using 90Watts, which is a considerable permanent load for my standalone power system when you add in all the other permanent loads, (sat decoders, fridge, etc).
    For example my iQ3 only uses 20Watts.
    I'll have to see if it uses less in sleep mode, however I suspect with 'Made In China' on the box the power pack will have a constant draw.

Here is the Modem manual
    General info,
    Last edited by Tiny; 18-05-16 at 10:58 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

OSIRUS (18-05-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Late this afternoon I found the details about the install .
    I had no idea the Modem/decoder has to be MOUNTED onto the wall, I thought it would 'stand alone' like the previous one did so now I have to find an accessible spot near the power outlet.
    Hi Gordon, I was looking at bits left over from the install just now & found this little jig that attaches to the base of the Modem to make it a free standing option instead of wall mount, so you may be able to push the Tech in that direction if he understands how to use it.

I'm sure it wouldn't be included in the box if it wasn't meant to be used??

EDIT: the only limiting factor for this may be distance from the wall outlet from dish; as the special cable that connects from wall plate to Modem is quite short.

Last edited by Tiny; 18-05-16 at 11:21 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

OSIRUS (18-05-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Can you monitor your daily data usage with your ISP ?

may be good to see how much Data you are using to plan how & when you can do what ..... & if it matters that much or not ?

I personally generally found the faster my internet was the more I used .... but I was more likely changing the the way I used the internet when I found I could download files quicker & stream in HD etc ....

Thanks for the information it is a good review for people wondering about the Sky Muster Internet Experience

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Tiny (18-05-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thats my speed test and the Tech didnt have any brackets PERIOD..

So far I have run a couple of Youtube videos, 5 minutes of a show from SBS and about the same from 7Flix and in both cases, the video was very sharp and clear and ran without any sign of 'buffering'.
    Apart from getting lost and clicking on everything I can on a site to make something play, this is encouraging me to look at maybe connecting the TV through a media box but thats just a MAYBE.
    OHH, the new router, a NETGEAR AC1600 is putting out one hell of a signal compared to the old NETCOMM one.
    After I put the details into the Galaxy Tab 4 I checked the WiFi manager and with it at the same distance from either router (NETCOMM turned off) the needle went to full scale, the other was half way into the GREEN.

In the next day or so I have to ring Big Pond to cancel the old Internet service, wish me luck !!

Would you believe that while I bought it from a Telstra shop, they cant do it so I have to ring Big Pond to cancel it, major P.I.A !!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-05-16 at 06:03 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-05-16),Tiny (18-05-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Nice one Gordon

Premium Member

Thanks

I will TRY and remember to do a speed test using the Wireless BB one I have been using before I get it disconnected.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-05-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

cool Gordon, was a fairly painless experience then.

If you are not happy with your current wall mount I would be happy to send you the free standing mount & block off button for the back of the Modem where the wall screws attach.
    I have no use for it as the wall mount is perfect for my situation.

They were in the box that the Modem came in, I suspect your bits are in the back of the Techs van - still in the box.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Found the protocol for the ViaSat modem to go into sleep/standby mode, ~60 seconds without a connection, that means for people with wireless routers, just switch router off & 60 seconds later it's in standby.

For people with direct connect to PC it will be PC Sleep/Hibernate/Shut down & in some cases the PC will need to be powered off at the power point to fully shut down the PC's network adapter.

Will get around to measuring the difference in power between usage & standby eventually.
    Cheers, Tiny

OSIRUS (18-05-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Found the protocol for the ViaSat modem to go into sleep/standby mode, ~60 seconds without a connection, that means for people with wireless routers, just switch router off & 60 seconds later it's in standby.

For people with direct connect to PC it will be PC Sleep/Hibernate/Shut down & in some cases the PC will need to be powered off at the power point to fully shut down the PC's network adapter.

Will get around to measuring the difference in power between usage & standby eventually.
    Thanks for that info, still trying to read the bumph on how it all works.

I have the box the modem came in and NO bracket, the Tech said he had neither the modem bracket or the power supply one as they had 'run out' !!!
    Where he has mounted the modem is as good a place so maybe useful to someone else who reads this thread, Tiny.

There was far more stuffing about today working out where to put everything than there was actually doing the installation.
    Annoyingly I now have TWO tripods, one with and the other without a dish on the roof.
    Over all he was here almost 4 hours, some of which could be from me talking to him but once he got started, I left him be.

As Tiny has shown in his pictures, a charcoal colour 80cm dish with a moderate sized LNB and only a single GREEN coloured coax cable between the Dish and the Modem.
    Nothing like the one used for the ABG with that long arm and whacking great LNB hung on the end of it.
    The Tech says the cable is coloured GREEN to ensure the installer uses THEIR cable only, not for any other reason.

I bit the bullet and rang Big Pond and cancelled the Wireless BB from tonight. I havent left myself without a backup though as I still have over 3GB in credit on the Elite WiFi modem I used when the other ran out.
    The SIM card is valid for 12 months which is handy.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-05-16 at 08:02 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Annoyingly I now have TWO tripods, one with and the other without a dish on the roof.
    Lucky for me the new dish had to be mounted in the exact same place so all the old stuff came down & into shed.
    Installer went beyond call of duty as he was not being paid for the uninstall, yet he even filled all the old holes with silicon & roofing screws.
    As he said; it saved him time to take the old dish & mount down rather than mount the new system in another place which would have taken longer in my situation.

Interestingly my old dish, mount & modem should have gone back with the installer; as the old NBN Interim Satellite Systems have been sold to Africa.
    Unfortunately a clerical error at their (NBN) end didn't list my install as a ISS migration so he was instructed, after a phone call, to leave the gear here which meant he wouldn't get paid for the uninstall.
    Don't you just love bureaucracy.
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

That's a lot of extra cable coiled up on your dish install, Tiny.

Was it supplied as a cut length, pre-terminated?

(Eg: Like most of the NBN fibre optic lead-ins)

Premium Member

Thanks

I noticed that seeming large coil too and wondered as you did MTV if it was a 'pre cut/tuned' length but I have got no more than needed to run between the LNB and the wall terminal, yes, its been 'terminated' just like a Foxtel install.
    The Tech cut what he wanted from a coil and using a crimping tool I hadnt seen before, on went the connectors.

I dont know if you noticed that the single connector on the LNB is just under the feedhorn facing the dish so unlike the one of the LNB's on the previous ABG dish that is pointing to the sky, which because of a poorly weather proof connection leaked and put me off air.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    That's a lot of extra cable coiled up on your dish install, Tiny.

Was it supplied as a cut length, pre-terminated?

(Eg: Like most of the NBN fibre optic lead-ins)

I questioned it too??
    My dish is right outside the wall where the modem is.
    The cable length was the minimum of 8m between dish & Modem, that's why the coils, he actually hid some of it in the wall cavity.
    Apparently he was told by NBN that 8m is the minimum cable length to prevent power spikes at the LNB/BUC in this new equipment.

EDIT: Yeah Gordon the crimping tool used here was a compression tool, doesn't actually crimp as such, it compresses the special compression type F-cons, I have one here.

There are many different styles, see here
    Last edited by Tiny; 19-05-16 at 07:01 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

OSIRUS (19-05-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Murphys law; today I noticed it took nearly 5 minutes to go into sleep mode after shutting off Router.
    Go figure, maybe it was phoning home.
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Apparently he was told by NBN that 8m is the minimum cable length to prevent power spikes at the LNB/BUC in this new equipment.
    I don't see how 8m of coax will prevent such things.

I would actually expect the opposite... a longer cable being more susceptible.

• Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast