Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Govt Announces NBN Satellite Launch

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I don't see how 8m of coax will prevent such things.

I would actually expect the opposite... a longer cable being more susceptible.
    Me too, however it's not my install, I had to sign a few things on his phone NBN app, to acknowledge that what he was doing is in my best interest.

While it costs me nothing & the result is positive, Que Sera, Sera.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There seems to be barrow loads of crap relating to decide IF they can install the dish let alone actualy do it !!!

I would have less than 4 metres of coax between the LNB and the modem inside.
    Maybe they think that if you coil the cable, it becomes a 'choke' as well as some sort of induction loop and any spikes get dizzy running around in circles and fall off the coax..........
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-05-16 at 09:16 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Gordon, I just noticed that while watching You-tubes that the auto speed is selecting very low resolutions (144p - 480p) yet I can select 1080HD & it plays with no buffering. I wonder if that's just google data going on my past speed selections or whether it is caused by the lag/ping of 600ms?

Doesn't happen on Vimeo files; they play straight thru in HD without me touching any settings.

Can you check what your You-tube's are auto playing at & are they playing at the best resolution available??

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, Do you have something in particular in mind so we can compare them as I checked Youtube myself to see how it played but what I ran was Hank Marvin playing 'Riders in the Sky' and one version of the Blues Bros 2000 playing the same, but it was a bit grainy I thought.
    Also I ran a few minutes of programing from a show on SBS on Demand and apart from working out how to make it play, it did seem ok to me.

One thing I have noticed is going from 'small' to Full screen doesnt seem to bother as it did with some videos before by either going black for a few seconds and maybe having to buffer to not running at all.

At the moment I havent heard from my ISP yet so I cant log into an account to check on my downloads as I did give it (video) a fair workout yesterday.

I think I have 30GB in peak time (shit of an idea) to use between now and the end of the Month.....beats the 15 GB I had on Telstra at double the price!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-05-16 at 11:54 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-05-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Don't worry Gordon found the solution.

Just in case you didn't know the little gear icon bottom right of the YT clip shows the current selected Auto quality when first playing a YT.
    If you click on this you can select the quality you would like.

I would rather it was based on my available download speed, however it appears not, many factors involved.

I want best quality now that I have the ability to receive it.

Rant over!
    Last edited by Tiny; 21-05-16 at 08:23 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

tristen (21-05-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, yesterday afternoon I ran about 10 minutes of two programs on Foxtel GO!.
    One was the V8 Supercars which appeared to be about 10~20 seconds behind the TV Broadcast, the other was an episode of the 'Alaskan Bush People' that was also being screened by Foxtel at the time.
    In both cases there was no option to tell what the resolution was and I had the option of having 3 screen sizes and going from 1/4 to 1/2 to full was just a blink between each choice and to me, the quality was excellent.
    I saw the icon on Youtube to select the resolution which seemed to vary depending on the material, one was Hells Bells by AC/DC at 240 Auto, another the videoing by a Train Driver of his view and it was 420 auto.

Tiny, dont get me wrong as I too want the best picture I can get but I guess I am not too critical of the picture being less than perfect as over the years here, FTA TV reception was marginal and if you wanted to see the program, you learnt to live with it.
    Then along came satellite and the VCR, Digital FTA and NOW going from Dial UP not that long ago to SkyMuster is really a major step forward and I am LOVING IT!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (22-05-16)

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345