Thread: which NAS

Thanks

Default which NAS

HI

I'm looking to purchase an off-the-shelf NAS, will be using it for streaming media to my T.V. A single drive unit that supports the lowest running wattage would be good and maybe the ability of downloads as well, ~$200?

thanks
    Last edited by Timelord; 21-06-15 at 06:58 PM.
    Don't take your organs to heaven because heaven knows we need them here!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Bump ...49 views and not 1 answers?

I will be purchasing the Synology DS115j
    Don't take your organs to heaven because heaven knows we need them here!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I bought a used QNAP TS209 Pro on eBay several years ago and it works well for me. It accommodates two 3.25 inch hard drives.

The person I bought it from had upgraded to a D-Link DNS320 Share Centre.

The unit you have mentioned seems to have favorable reviews and will probably serve you well.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    HI

I'm looking to purchase an off-the-shelf NAS, will be using it for streaming media to my T.V. A single drive unit that supports the lowest running wattage would be good and maybe the ability of downloads as well, ~$200?

thanks
    For your needs, i went in another direction.

Used a 2.4/5Ghz Wifi Router with 2 USB ports i already had, then installed a version OPENwrt firmware.
    Cost $0
    Storage 4 TB
    Shareable to all my devices both wired and wireless.
    Can also be used as bitorrent client if you want (i have never tried, but the function is there)
    Power usage is low, especially when you consider i was already running the router anyway
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

precious (25-06-15)

Thanks

RPi NAS - cost of the Pi and hard drive ...
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (25-06-15),tristen (26-06-15)

Thanks

Freenas , been using it for ages , build your own box for under $200 , operating system $0 , dont have to be a brain surgent to configure.

Check it out here

Thanks

Open Media Vault gets my vote

Sent from my ASUS_Z01FD using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    RPi NAS - cost of the Pi and hard drive ...
    Personally never had that much luck with a RPi being used as a NAS... Not sure what the Pi3 is like, but using a 1 or 2 Pi was fine with a single drive to one device - anymore users or drives and the performance dropped significantly! It was due to the USB being a bottle neck.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Gitch (18-04-17)

Thanks

Who ever reads the posted date

Thanks

I use Open Media Vault with my RPI3. cracking bit of software and FREE!

Premium Member
    The Great State of Vermont - Unfortunately... Slowly turning into NY
    Thanks

Get a bunch of $$ in your stocking this Christmas??

Go for the Drobo (I have an older model which I love -- unsure of the newer equivalent units) -

I've used all kinds of NAS units and SAN units in the past (+ MANY Dell Perc RAID controllers in servers with many types of RAID configurations).
    Honestly, the Drobo was the easiest to install / configure / use / etc... AND -- I HAVE HAD THE BEST "RECOVERY" INCIDENTS OCCUR WITH DROBO. !!
    (Even though they allow drives of different sizes / speeds / mfg's / etc... I still try to stick with the same size and mfg in any of the Drobo units I own or have installed)

With the massive sizes of HDDs nowadays, a failure of a RAID element in a large array could very well lead to other issues during a replace/rebuild procedure.
    During RAID array rebuilding time, all of the drives are heavily taxed and under extreme use -- especially if the array is being accessed at the same time.
    Many times, I've had larger systems experience a single drive failure and after replacing and attempting to rebuild the array, another drive or more will
    experience a failure, leading to a massive problem to handle.

The Drobo unit I have installed at the house has their own proprietary RAID system // By using the "Dual Redundancy" when configuring the unit, it
    slightly reduces capacity, but dedicated a second drive for parity and permits multiple drive failures during a rebuild process. I have had several
    instances where I had a bad lot of Seagate 1.5tb drives fail and the Drobo units handled everything so well and so fast that I was skeptical about the
    data integrity after the rebuild process had completed. It worked flawlessly each time I experienced an issue. !

I have the Drobo-Pro/FS (8x 3.5" drive bays / rack mount / redundant ethernet interfaces / redundant AC power supplies)
    I have a large natural gas fueled 20kv standby generator for the house & a second one for the "Telecom Room" (a dozen or so servers / RF gear & 4 UHF Quantar repeaters / etc...)
    BUT... due to the "lag time" in getting the genset started / coming up to speed / ATS transferring the sub-panel load over to the generator, AND the possibility that the either generator
    fails to start... I also have a dedicated UPS for the entire room (a massive older "BEST Ferrrups" online UPS unit) that can easily handle the total load of the gear in the room.
    (240vac / single-phase / 12kva)

As I am ultra OCD about my data & media, regardless of the amount of off-site backups and everything else used for data protection, I STILL have a second UPS unit
    dedicated just for the Drobo unit & a rack of Juniper gear - I took an older "BEST" rackmount UPS (pure sine-wave and "online" style / 120vav - 4kv) that was approx
    10 year old and had a long dead battery bank in a rack mount enclosure that held a TON of 12vdc 7ah batteries wired in series - parallel for 48vdc x 28ah. I re-wired
    the UPS so that I could use an external bank of AGM deep-cycle batteries (4x 12v in series / individual 100amp fusible links as "jumpers" between each battery /
    & made up a rather long cable assembly using #4AWG THWN copper stranded cables & "anderson" type connectors to supply DC power to that one UPS.

Sorry for the long post -- I tend to be really careful about data storage due to the type of data being stored. It's much better to spend a little extra up front
    than to try to rebuild and/or recover lost data. AND.. the "downtime" while waiting for all of this to be done.

Even though I am NOT a "Mac Person", I still highly recommend the higher-tier models of DROBO NAS unit to store your data.

Thanks

I used to have a Netgear NAS a few years ago before I upgraded. I now have several Synology NAS, I currently have an RS212, DS414, and a DS1815+.

Thanks

Synology has quite a few apps for web and email hosting as well as IP camera recording/monitoring. Depending on the model you can use Docker for more third party apps.