Thread: Cool Edit Pro problem.

Thanks

Default Cool Edit Pro problem.

I have an OLD XP system on which we play sponsorship announcements at a community radio station. I have installed CEP to record sponsorship announcements using a mic clean feed from the mixing desk. It records a treat, shows excellent waveforms in edit mode and does everything it should .... except playback. The recorded file plays at about 5% level and crackly. I have tried everything I know to locate the problem but to no avail. All other playback applications on the system play normally. I have updated the drivers but still no joy ... any suggestions appreciated. We can't update the OS because our cart pgm won't run on later than XP.
    Last edited by MrRadio; 26-06-15 at 08:58 PM.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Play a little with Cool Edit Pro's settings especially with Playback Buffer Size - default setting is 1.5 seconds- and Playback Buffers - default setting is 10.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

MrRadio (30-06-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Check audio hardware settings and sample rate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

MrRadio (30-06-15)

Thanks

Thanks guys, problem solved tweaking buffers and hardware settings.

• The Following User Says Thank You to MrRadio For This Useful Post:

mtv (01-07-15)

Thanks

Well I spoke too soon didn't I?
    It seems what ever the problem resets on boot. It's doing my head in because what's happening doesn't make sense or even seem possible to me.
    Our cart app on the same machine will play normally in the on (to air) switch position and the cue switch position. Cool Edit uses the same audio device and output and input to the mixing desk but will not play normally from the edit screen in the cue switch position. It will however play normally from the edit screen in the on (to air) position although the phase light on the mixer glows during the full play out . A clue perhaps. If the recorded material is saved to a disk it will play normally. I have reverted to an earlier version of Cool Edit with no joy .. next will be a replacement for the Sigma Tel on board sound device if I can find one to fit the low profile case. As I said it's doing my head in.
    Last edited by MrRadio; 08-07-15 at 01:58 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

It sounds (pardon the pun) like some weird conflict with the sound device.

Are the bit rates being used by Cool Pro and the cart app identical? I've seen conflict before where they differ.

The phase indicator may indeed be a clue.

Have you checked for correct phase?

Thanks

Here's how it played out. The cue output I was taking is line level hence I was feeding "line in" on the computer to prevent over modulation. After exhausting all I could think of I moved the line to "mic" on the computer and attenuated the level to zero or as close as I could get to it on the Windows recording mixer. Using half the fader setting I would normally use to air I obtained a clear, well modulated recording which would play back in either mode. Success, well sort of but this will be the work around until I can get my head around what has happened. Some kind of weird glitch in the Sigma Tel hardware or drivers I'm guessing. I will still be looking for a low profile sound card to try or a diagram to attenuate the line level out from the cue. Watch this space.

Edit: I really have NFI as to why this is happening or what sort of underlying problem could cause it.
    Last edited by MrRadio; 10-07-15 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks

Regarding the sound card, would an external / usb sound card be of any use (size wise) ?

Cheers.
    When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mods View Post
    Regarding the sound card, would an external / usb sound card be of any use (size wise) ?

Cheers.
    To open to tampering. We have about 15 volunteer presenters, all of them experts (we often find settings and program options changed) and a couple with light fingers I suspect. In this case we think inside the box. Thanks for the suggestion though.