Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: UBER - Being an Uber Driver?

Thanks

Just wait for the Violent incidents and major accidents to hit the headlines. Regulation and protection of the Taxi system will be brought back into focus again.
    If the reports that Uber are covering fines is true then one could wonder if similar influence is made to keep other types incidents quiet.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbreath View Post
    Just wait for the Violent incidents and major accidents to hit the headlines.
    Doesn't that already happen with the existing Taxi service?
    No form is transport is 100% safe, just look at buses and trains.
    Christ, trains got so bad, they had to make a special Police Force for them.

Uber is not exempt from the same problems that can occur with normal Taxis, but its not promoted that way.
    Uber do back ground checks on drivers and require all insurance to be in place. Still anyone could be drunk or on drugs.
    And its was never meant to be a proper Taxi Service, its just a reliable, convenient way to get around.

Just look at the traffic congestion in morning peak hours in Melbourne, with the majority of cars only having a single occupant.
    If it each person took a passenger and got paid for it, what a win win for our roads and drivers.

Agreed, its sad and unfair on Taxi drivers that paid a small fortune to be a protected and licensed business.
    No one wants to see their protected industry compromised or threatened.
    And i'm sure, no individual wants to see the demise of the traditional Taxi service either.
    I guess its about having options.
    Plenty of people will never use a ride sharing service, just as plenty never want to use a Taxi.

Anyway, why have't the Taxi Service invented an App that shows locations of Cabs in a similar way as Teski with predetermined payments ?
    Or have they?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-07-15 at 09:33 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Swan taxis have an app that gives you an estimate and allows you to book the taxi.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (21-07-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Sorry, i was busy reading the Bottle Shop ad
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

looks like another kick up the butt for uber and their drivers in NSW

as i mentioned once before they get away with using private registered cars
    for uber and bypass the added costs of rego and insurance that way.

No longer in NSW - use private registered car = rego canceled and fines

dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (28-09-15),mtv (28-09-15),ol' boy (28-09-15),peter3535 (28-09-15),Tiny (28-09-15),VroomVroom (29-09-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I wonder if you can have Commercial Rego?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

That article is a little suss, guess it's in the translation of OZ to POM to OZ, the article refers to NSW, however the Uber phone app pics are of Brisbane??
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

When I first saw the video, I thought it was another refugee clip.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (28-09-15),Tiny (28-09-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I wonder if you can have Commercial Rego?
    In NSW you would need a rego endorsed for business usage, which would have a business rate of tax applied - plus a business green slip and if you wanted comprehensive insurance, business insurance. All of which are more expensive than the 'personal' versions because of the added risk due to likely increased usage, etc. As a public transport driver/operator in NSW you would also need to hold the appropriate licence, which is a further additional costs. If the Uber drivers paid all these costs it likely wouldn't be worth their time driving.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (28-09-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    In NSW you would need a rego endorsed for business usage, which would have a business rate of tax applied - plus a business green slip and if you wanted comprehensive insurance, business insurance. All of which are more expensive than the 'personal' versions because of the added risk due to likely increased usage, etc. As a public transport driver/operator in NSW you would also need to hold the appropriate licence, which is a further additional costs. If the Uber drivers paid all these costs it likely wouldn't be worth their time driving.
    exactly and if you are driving people around you must have what is called a drivers
    authority , this involves a course plus police checks including working with kids check
    and a full physical exam every 2 yrs at a cost of $270.

when you add up all the costs its no wonder uber is cheaper , im all for saving money
    but at the same time i would never get in an uber car because if anything happened
    there is a good chance id be fooked with insurance denying the claim.

insurance companies will find any reason not to pay just look at the aussie girl
    in the usa who's insurance will not cover her after being hit by a car at a pedestrian
    crossing because she was in their view drunk even though she wasn't though did have a few drinks.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well in Victoria, they have already stuffed the Taxi Licence to the point that Licence owners have lost 100's of thousands, and even millions in some cases, so they may as well continue to deregulate it.

The only thing stopping UBER or another similar concept from being 100% legal is a few changes to some laws and insurance policy makers.
    The old laws were purely there to protect the industry, not the passengers per se.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There are only 2 options I can see available and one is to completely deregulate the Taxi Industry and let anyone be a 'Taxi' or two, lock it up tight as a drum and ban the UBER option completely.
    Then it would be up to the Insurance Industry to decide what if any coverage and cost to offer those who do decide to be a UBER Taxi, full or part time where its permitted to operate.
    Of course you could always take the risk and not have Insurance.
    One place where the UBER system might work is in areas where no Taxi service functions due to its size and the cost of running an 'Official' Taxi service exceeds its income.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

If this has happened in NSW, the other states will follow suit to put a end to the issue.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I guess that's the point isn't it... is it an issue?
    Or is it an emerging culture that the public actually want?

Last I looked, Governments were elected by the people to make decisions for the people.
    And I don't see to many end users complaining, only Taxi operators (which is understandable).

Like all new services these days, people vote with their wallets.
    If UBER is providing a better (not even saying cheaper here) service... And people want it.
    Why isn't it being acknowledged and supported.
    Seems backwards to me to snub such a clever concept.
    Competition should be supported, not burned at the stake.
    If Uber drivers need licences and credentials, then fast track a way for them to get what they need.
    And while they are at it, streamline the existing Taxi requirements.
    Then, hopefully.... People can have an environment where they can choose of they want a Taxi driven by a new Australian which smells like a kabab and has no sense of direction, or a Clean Car with an efficient driver thats all pre paid, safer for Driver and Passenger.

Yes UBER will have some negative effects, but hopefully it has far more positive effects.

I do feel sorry for the smaller towns that only have 1 Taxi, they are generally only making enough to get by.
    If UBER came to that town, it might kill off the 1 Taxi they have, then if the UBER driver decides he isn't doing it anymore, the town is left with no Taxi at all.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 28-09-15 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I guess that's the point isn't it... is it an issue?
    Or is it an emerging culture that the public actually want?
    Yep that is it and i don't unless they have the required registration - insurance - police checks and training
    they don't pay tax they don't pay gst they take money from those that do.

They want to run the ride share as a side to their normal employment then fine but get all the insurance etc
    and DECLARE all the money they earn and make uber send reports of every cent invoiced with those doing
    the work to tax man so the driver and uber can pay the right tax seeing uber earns a % and is over 50k so
    the driver should be collecting the gst and as such need to register for gst.

uber is nothing more than a tech heads idea of money grabbing venture pushing the laws of each country

just like the people who take work from me by charging $12 hr no insurance nothing and then things
    fk up and gives the industry a bad name.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (29-09-15),lsemmens (28-09-15),Tiny (01-10-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I can see a new Reality TV series soon.
    Taxi Wars

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diavalo13666 View Post

uber is nothing more than a tech heads idea of money grabbing venture pushing the laws of each country

just like the people who take work from me by charging $12 hr no insurance nothing and then things
    fk up and gives the industry a bad name.
    Exactly, to perform certain duties legally with all papers, licences etc it costs money, money that the public are trying to avoid paying.

Imagine people doing electrical or plumbing work without all the relevant qualifications and paper work.......

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Had a feeling it would head this way, other states will follow.

Uber drives into ACT but faces regulations

DRIVERS in Canberra wanting to make some extra money through ride-sharing service Uber will have to get government accreditation, including criminal and driving history checks.

UBER will arrive in the ACT in a month but its drivers will face similar rules to the taxi industry as the territory becomes the first jurisdiction to regulate ride-sharing services.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-10-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

A further update on the ongoing saga for the introduction of allowing the introduction of the UBER system.

As a passenger, how will you know if the vehicle your in is insured to cover you in the event of an accident ??

It brought back a memory that some years ago in reply to the increasing traffic congestion around Sydney that 'Car Pooling/Ride sharing' might be a way to ease the situation until it was pointed out there was legislation AGAINST such activities (Private/Commercial Use Registration) along with the Insurance companies saying that any Insurance may not cover any injuries or damage to the vehicle if it was used this way.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post

A further update on the ongoing saga for the introduction of allowing the introduction of the UBER system.

As a passenger, how will you know if the vehicle your in is insured to cover you in the event of an accident ??
    It would mean once up and running uber would have to receive copies off all

insurances - road worthy certificates - training certificates - licensing - police checks etc

and only once all the ticks are filled would they be able to issue jobs to that person.

But the one thing they did not mention that will be an issue for all is that once you are
    registered for business and transporting people the traffic infringement fines double for you
    in some case they are 3 times that of normal drivers then add in the 0% alcohol reading.

so its a step in the right direction - get licensed pay the right insurance get checked by cops
    etc so lets see how many will be willing to spend the money now to do it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (01-10-15)

• Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast