Thread: DNS Questions..

Thanks

Default DNS Questions..

So ive basically labelled DNS as the most powerful protocol on the internet today...
    Im not sure how true that is, but it seems to me.... Also im not sure if this post is even in the right PLACE (austech in general)

But, I have some questions regarding DNS.

1. If I set my NIC on windows to statically use DNS 8.8.8.8, does it do a direct request via 8.8.8.8, or will it send that request to the gateway and then send the DNS request via the ISP assigned DNS servers? So, in order to do a legitimate DNS request to 8.8.8.8, do I need to statically set the routers DNS server to 8.8.8.8?

2. Does anyone know about DNS leaking? and Transparent DNS proxies? Would like to talk more

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

1. yes, it will go via your gateway, but only because tcp/ip needs the path. Yes, it will go direct to what you want to use, unless a transparent service grabs it. Whether you set the router or a machine, won't matter. If your machine points to your router and your router goes direct, your result at the machine will come from source to router to you. Funny buggers aside.

2a. have not come across the term dns leaking.

2b. if that's anything like a transparent proxy for browsing activities, its something that monitors outbound destination traffic based on port/protocol, and redirects, or proxies them, transparently to the user, via a preferred path/service. The user doesn't even know, hence the 'transparent' term.

At least that's what I think it all is,... its been a while

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

See

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

jimbo123 (14-07-15),tristen (16-07-15)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Yes DB44, ive read that. Give me a rather basic understanding of dns leaking. Basically your dns servers assigned by the ISP are used instead of the proxy DNS Servers.

Jimbo123, I would immagine a DNS proxy is exactly the same as an HTTP proxy, but just proxies dns requests instead of HTTP requests.

Also, setting a manual DNS server in my NIC settings in windows is basicly pointless as it just uses the gateways dns server?

Cheers

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default DNS Questions..

Quote Originally Posted by deanfourie View Post
    Jimbo123, I would immagine a DNS proxy is exactly the same as an HTTP proxy, but just proxies dns requests instead of HTTP requests.
    Yup,.. That's my thinking.

Also, setting a manual DNS server in my NIC settings in windows is basicly pointless as it just uses the gateways dns server?
    Nope, it'll try going direct to where you've set.

Thanks

So bumping this thread again,

is it possible to update a DNS record (A) that you own using a DDNS service.

Such as, a NVR/DVR, or even a windows application or ROUTER that allows DynamicDNS updates to specific domains.

So I own mydomain.com and would like my router or NVR to do DynamicDNS updates on newip.mydomain.com to point to my new IP address.

Is there any way this could be possible? I know some devices are locked down to specific services such as dyndns but this would be super handy!

Cheers

Premium Member
    Thanks

You'd have to script a change,.. If you manage the DNS for the domain you own then you can make the A record be whatever you want,.. The challenge would be to align it to your dynamically changing address.

But why? If your DyDNS is doing that already?

Thanks

Thanks, I dont have DynDNS. Isnt it a fully paid service now?

I could do it if I hosted the Name server on a windows server box on the same IP that I want updated. But this is not the answer.

It would need to be done in the router so I could do it with clients.

I didnt think it could be done. Was just thinking it would be handy to update records on a single domain name.

Anyone see using DNS to resolve ips to cameras etc insecure?

Thanks

Set up a CNAME record pointing to the the dynamic one. You can use any dynamic service, even the freebies. No special scripts required, just something that can update which ever dynamic dns service you decide to use. If your router doesn't support the dynamic service and there is no PC available something like a raspberry PI or even a arduino style project would handle it.

dyndns is paid now (unless you have a lifetime account like me!) $5 / month IIRC.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 07-08-15 at 07:07 AM.