Thread: Problem opening a downloaded zip file in winzip 9.0

Thanks

Default Problem opening a downloaded zip file in winzip 9.0

We are using ZipOutputStream for downloading a zip file. Iam having problems in opening this zip file in winzip 9.0 but the same fiel opens fine in winzip 8.0.
    But when i write the same file using FileOutputStream and ZipOutputStream into the server that file opens fine in Winzip 9.0.
    The error iam getting is "Start of central directory not found:zip file corrupt.
    Possible cause: File transfer error"

When i try to fix the problem using the Winzip command line Add-ON
    it fixes the problem by saying the file has "extra 12 bytes at beginning of the file"

What could be the reason for having this extra 12 bytes only when i do a download but not when i write it into a file.

Please help me if you have any information on this

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Why use WinZIP? Since Windows Vista in all Windows editions ZIP-functionality is inbuilt.

BTW: Don't believe the "extra 12 bytes at beginning of the file" are added during the download operation. Rather believe your JAVA code is wrong and WinZIP 8 is more "failure tolerant" than WinZIP 9.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 28-07-15 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Last edited by Philquad; 27-07-15 at 07:56 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

All what you need is to follow next instructions, and via Windows instrument you may do it..

- Click on the "Start" button, click on "All Programs" and then go into "Accessories."

- Right-click on the "Command Prompt" program and select "Run as administrator."

- Type "cd directory_path_to_zip" where "directory_path_to_zip" is the fully qualified path to the corrupted zip file, such as "C:\Windows" if your ZIP file is located in the Windows directory on your computer.

- Press the "Enter" key and then type "c:\windows\system32\wzzip -yf corrupt_zip.zip" where "corrupt_zip.zip" is the name of the ZIP file you want to try and recover.

- Press the "Enter" key and Windows attempts to fix the corrupt ZIP file. If this process is successful, a new ZIP file is created in the directory alongside the corrupt zip file with the same name as the corrupt zip file, only with the suffix "FIXED" on the end.

Some links which might be helpful to you...

- contains a lot of free and useful info about ZIP archive restoration
    Zip Repair Toolbox - if you like fast and not free solutions
    - a lot of tips