Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot tune the desired SBS channels on Optus D1 into the Vu+ Solo 2. HELP PLEASE.

Thanks

Default Cannot tune the desired SBS channels on Optus D1 into the Vu+ Solo 2. HELP PLEASE.

The "problem" has arisen because SBS have changed some frequencies. By using the new frequencies etc I've successfully tuned them into the UltraPlus but putting that data into the VU merely gives me no channels found with a manual scan or insists on tuning SBS SA if auto is used. Weirdly ABC tunes in at one of the East Coast channels, Queensland I think. Seems I'm missing something obvious. I've tried different tuner settings but have not lucked onto the right combination.

TIA

John (an old fogey, not very bright when it comes to sophisticated satellite gear)
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (05-08-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

What image are you using in your Vu, & which tuner?

Thanks

Default Vu+Solo2 tuning hassles

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    What image are you using in your Vu, & which tuner?
    Thanks for responding and apologies for not doing so earlier as I have been away.

Do you mean what skin am I using? If so I've tried another skin and it has given the same result.

The tuner is the standard twin one that comes with the unit.

What bugs me is that I did have the tuning in correctly previously but must have inadvertently changed a function to cause the present problems.

I've tried tuner A (and also tuner B) settings at simple, single etc (and they all show the satellite as Optus D1) and whether DVB-s or the other - all make no difference.

Manual scans set at frequency 12363, QPSK 7/8, Symbol rate 14294 give the correct channel with the UltraPlus but NO results fora manual scan with the Vu+Solo2. If set to auto it appears to go through all combinations but only settles on finding SBS SA & ABC Qld - crazy!!

Any clue about what I'm missing?

BTW I have the satellite feed going into a 4 way splitter which feeds both the UltraPlus and the Vu so I've fed tuners A & B both so am not using any pass through.

TIA

John

Thanks

In satellites.xml under <sat name="160.0E Optus D1" flags="0" position="1600"> you should have <transponder frequency="12407000" symbol_rate="12600000" polarization="0" fec_inner="4" system="0" modulation="1"/>

satellites.xml should be in /etc

Your easiest method may be to copy the satellites.xml from the UltraPlus into the Vu Solo

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

UltraPlus isn't an E2 box.

Why can't you just input all the settings to do a manual scan? have you tried other settings and scanned in other channels manually?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Make sure you have Network Scan set to yes In Automatic Scan. This reads the NIT (Network Information Table) which contains all the information for a provider, & scans in all the transponders linked to that provider as well as what is in Satellites.xml. It isn't quite as good as a blind scan, but as long as you have some correct entries in Satellites.xml, will quite often give the same result.

Thanks

Default Nothing seems to work!!

Make sure you have Network Scan set to yes In Automatic Scan. This reads the NIT (Network Information Table) which contains all the information for a provider, & scans in all the transponders linked to that provider as well as what is in Satellites.xml. It isn't quite as good as a blind scan, but as long as you have some correct entries in Satellites.xml, will quite often give the same result.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid I'm still going around in circles.

After fruitless attempts at manual tunes (which work for the UltraPlus) but consistently give NO results with the Vu+Solo2, I decided that there might be a corruption of the operating system. So I installed a new one BUT am ending up with exactly the same crazy result - just the SA SBS channels and an East Coast ABC set (Qld I think) on Auto scan.

Optus D1 is shown as the only satellite selected and tuners are set at simple (although other variations give the same result) for both tuner A and tuner B.

After hours wasted on this I've got nowhere!!! Crazy because previously it worked fine but somehow a glitch has been introduced and I'm unable to see where or what.

Thanks

Your tuners should be set to:
    Configuration mode Advanced
    Satellite 160.0E Optus D1
    LNB LNB 1
    Priority Auto
    LOF User Defined
    LOF/L 10700
    LOF/H 10700
    Threshold 10700
    Voltage mode Polarisation
    Increased voltage no
    Tone mode Band
    DeSEqC mode None

This is assuming that you have a 10700 LNB. Set tuner B equal to Tuner A

Thanks

Default Success :-)

Your tuners should be set to:
    Configuration mode Advanced
    Satellite 160.0E Optus D1
    LNB LNB 1
    Priority Auto
    LOF User Defined
    LOF/L 10700
    LOF/H 10700
    Threshold 10700
    Voltage mode Polarisation
    Increased voltage no
    Tone mode Band
    DeSEqC mode None

This is assuming that you have a 10700 LNB. Set tuner B equal to Tuner A
    Thanks heaps.

Dumb me - the problem was an incorrect setting for the LNB - yes it is 10,700.

I should have guessed that but never set it up correctly to give me access to LNB settings.

Thanks

Default Subtitle use on the VU+Solo2

I'm mystified about how this is controlled on the VU+ Solo2. All other PVRs here automatically record the subtitles but can display them on demand or not as required.

It seems either they are always on or always off with VU+ recordings. That would not be a problem if the subtitles were in synch with the speech, but that is not the case in many broadcasts.

So, is there a setting somewhere to have the VU+ behave as other PVRs do?

I'm asking this in the thread rather than open up a new one because jgm is obviously knowledgeable with this unit so can most likely give an answer.

And another query (apologies for that), which add ones or other extras, if any, do you recommend? There are a bewildering array available and I'm unsure how many would be useful for viewing ABC/SBS. BTW I have set the skips for the number keys - a highly useful feature, but I guess there are others there just as helpful but am not sure which. But maybe there is a discussion of this somewhere on the net?

TIA, your help is greatly appreciated.

John

Thanks

Why not use the UltraPlus? I know you have bought this E2 receiver but I find the UP does everything you want without any issues. PVR functions with skip by percentage or time on the remote buttons, subtitles etc are all there. Also time shifting can be set to run all the time so if you change channel it justs T/S again.

......Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Default Using the UltraPlus

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Why not use the UltraPlus? I know you have bought this E2 receiver but I find the UP does everything you want without any issues. PVR functions with skip by percentage or time on the remote buttons, subtitles etc are all there. Also time shifting can be set to run all the time so if you change channel it justs T/S again.

......Leroy
    Thanks for responding Leroy.

I do use both but have had odd issues with the UltraPlus. It is a great unit but in the past (and it has not happened lately) it hangs when scrolling through the file list and will not respond to any remote commands. It can only be woken out of this state by a complete power off and re-boot. Maybe deleting a lot of files so the HDD is only half full has helped avoid it hanging?

Again I've caused a problem somewhere because the "skip by percentage" function no longer appears to work.

I just checked and appear to have the latest firmware - 1.10.05 or has there been a later release?

And I cannot find the command to have the display revert to the file list when a play is stopped.

Any help appreciated Leroy.

TIA

John

Thanks

That firmware was the last official release.
    In Recording Options and Playback Numeric Function and you can toggle between %move and commercial skip(with the varying times allocated to the numeric buttons)
    When playing back, if you press the stop button it doesn't revert to the file list (as far as I know and don't know there is an option to change) as I checked with mine just now. But you hit the white up arrow button on the remote for the file list again and it pops up straight away.

.........Leroy

Thanks

That firmware was the last official release.
    In Recording Options and Playback Numeric Function and you can toggle between %move and commercial skip(with the varying times allocated to the numeric buttons)
    When playing back, if you press the stop button it doesn't revert to the file list (as far as I know and don't know there is an option to change) as I checked with mine just now. But you hit the white up arrow button on the remote for the file list again and it pops up straight away.

.........Leroy
    Thanks Leroy - found those settings and have readjusted them.

EDITED: I see where you set % move or commercial skip but cannot see how to invoke either of them - apologies for being so dumb!

Another mystery - the resolution has to be set to SD each time for any display on my HD mini monitor. Surely only SD composite comes out of the video output?

TIA

John
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 05-08-15 at 12:48 PM. Reason: new info

Thanks

Thanks single time is so you can jump that set time each time you hit the Forward or Reverse buttons. So when you press the Play button during playback you see the status bar for the program and the time you can jump at the end. If you hit the yellow button in increments from 10 sec up to 10mins. This is the same time that's in the menu! So a quick method of jumping forward or back.

You can jump forward with the percentage feature. If you have Playback set to %move when you press the play button during playback you can press 5 and 0 and ok (or wait) and you will jump to the middle of your recording.

Now you asked if set to Commercial Skip, when playing back a recording, press the play button and the numeric buttons 1-9 correspond to how many minutes you want to skip forward. Hit play or exit to clear the program progress bar from the screen.

I find I use the single time option most of the time. You can just hit the forward or reverse buttons to jump that set time set with the yellow button.

...........Leroy

Thanks

I never use subtitles, so have no knowledge about how they're stored. However I would advise you to join one of the Vu+ forums (I mainly use world-of-satellite.com). I use openvix and am very happy with it; a lot of others here use BlackHole. Both have excellent support from European forums

Thanks

Thanks single time is so you can jump that set time each time you hit the Forward or Reverse buttons. So when you press the Play button during playback you see the status bar for the program and the time you can jump at the end. If you hit the yellow button in increments from 10 sec up to 10mins. This is the same time that's in the menu! So a quick method of jumping forward or back.

You can jump forward with the percentage feature. If you have Playback set to %move when you press the play button during playback you can press 5 and 0 and ok (or wait) and you will jump to the middle of your recording.

Now you asked if set to Commercial Skip, when playing back a recording, press the play button and the numeric buttons 1-9 correspond to how many minutes you want to skip forward. Hit play or exit to clear the program progress bar from the screen.

I find I use the single time option most of the time. You can just hit the forward or reverse buttons to jump that set time set with the yellow button.

...........Leroy
    Ahah, I see the trick - press PLAY 2X to invoke the time bar.

Great - thanks Leroy, you have made the UltaPlus much more user friendly and good to use. Up to now I've only been using the single skip button or FF.

Any reason why the resolution has to be set to SD to be seen via the composite output? The mini monitor in question is actually HD but of course only SD is supposed to come from that yellow video out of the UltraPlus. Video display is set to RGB but setting it to composite gives the same result (and of course ruins resolution on the big screen). It seems somehow the video output from the yellow socket out gets corrupted if the resolution is changed.

John

Thanks

It's only a low res output so you can't set higher. If big screen use HDMI.

...........Leroy

Thanks

It's only a low res output so you can't set higher. If big screen use HDMI.

...........Leroy
    Yes set for HDMI for the big screen but video output to the small HD monitor is used for setting timers. The monitor has component input so I might try that instead of the yellow composite out of the UltraPlus. Obviously something weird happens to that output if resolution is inreased.

Thanks

Weird.

When I first tried the component connection -> no video on the small monitor. BUT now it works.

Black magic!
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 05-08-15 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Correction

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (05-08-15)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast