Thread: Foxtel sinks to new money grabbing low.

Thanks

Default Foxtel sinks to new money grabbing low.

I am a former (now Foxtel) Austar customer of 15 years standing.
    About a year ago I added via the Austar web site the Kid's package for the grandchildren when they visit at a cost of $5.95 per month.
    As the GCs won't be visiting here for some time I went to the Foxtel site to remove the package but apparently you can add content to your package via the web but not remove it except by phone.
    No problem I call Foxtel and am told that the Kid's channel is part of my standard package and not an add on (strike 1). Apparently they restructured and whatever was there at the time became part of your standard package (Strike 2).
    I can remove it but in order to do so I MUST enter into a 12 month contract (I haven't ever had a contract in the 15 years I have been with them)
    After some arguing and several requests to have my call escalated the operator placed me on hold and (supposedly) spoke with a supervisor and returned with the news that I can remove the channel without entering a contract but they won't take off any cost because it's part of my standard package. She wasn't sure but suggested that removing the channel may even add to the cost (Strike 3).
    I chose to leave it as is and ended the conversation.
    On further investigation I found that the Sports channels which WERE always part of my standard package under the old pricing system (as they called it) are now a costly add on.
    After consultation with MrsRadio who is the main Foxtel user, especially the sports, we have decided that just prior to next payment date ware are going to tell them where they can stick the whole subscription. Apparently these changes are made without consultation of any kind with the customer. Better check your account.
    Great customer service Foxtel.
    Last edited by MrRadio; 03-08-15 at 03:54 PM.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

I do remember being informed by mail every step of the way when changes to packages & pricing have been made.

It's a long time since sport was part of the basic package, it's been an add on to basic for at least a decade that I can remember.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I do remember being informed by mail every step of the way when changes to packages & pricing have been made.

It's a long time since sport was part of the basic package, it's been an add on to basic for at least a decade that I can remember.
    And I guess you were advised each time they had a free month of movies ...... we get that advice on the day the month ends.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

I might ask if you are a converted Austar customer or a Foxtel customer from the start?
    That may make a difference ... Originally we had 3 sport channels, sometime down the track we were "given" 2 more, I think, free and that was the last notification ... now we have them all at a cost I didn't know about or authorise. I must explain I knew nothing about how many sports channels we had as things unfolded as I don't watch them.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

1995 or 6 I started on Galaxy (~12 channels for $40/month) supplied by East Coast TV (supplied is an overstatement; I paid for the equipment + the installation totaling $1800) then taken up by Austar when Galaxy & East Coast collapsed.
    Then converted to Foxtel in Austar/Foxtel takeover.

Yes & how the number of Sport & other channels has grown.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Yes I have heard similar story .... (my bill still lists my subscriptions in terms of the old packages ...... plus some extra channels they gave me at the time the New Packages came to be)

this is because I have not changed my packages since then ....

apparently the cost of the old packages plus the extra channels they gave me is about the same price as if it was made up of the New packages & prices

I have heard that if you change the old packages ..... you have to now change to the new packages structure .....

however I like you have been with Foxtel & Austar for well over 15 years ...... & I think you should get some VIP treatment .... being a very loyal customer ....etc

and at the very least I would be asking for a wavering of the new contract requirement .....

Have a look at the new packages & see what packages you need to get the channels you want ..... (maybe you can save some money by reducing your packages ..... ? .... or maybe not ?)

I do think they will try to work out something with you if you say you are going to cancel your subscription (maybe get someone to call you if you do cancel ... before it expires) ..... (but I can't say for sure)
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (06-08-15)

Thanks

new subscribers get more from foxtel, cancel the sub and sign up in another name.
    Mate did this, his original account was in his name and now it is in his wife's name, as stupid as it is there is reward for loyalty anymore.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Scrap it altogether and watch HBO instead

No Ads and in HD.
    Where a 55min show takes 55minutes to watch, not 1 hour 30minutes!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-08-15 at 08:13 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I'm not missing Foxtel at all. It is expensive, ad-ridden and full of repeats. Worth considering for real sports fans, but even then there is just so much available on-line.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I'm still on the old deal with all the new channels added. I really only have it now for the World Superbikes. I do watch F1 though. I almost cancelled earlier in the year and after streaming everything while away recently, if I had a better internet connection I would subscribe to the WorldSBK site directly.

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 03-08-15 at 09:35 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Been paying $139 a month for an IQ1 + a standard box for a long time, I watch very little of it but the missus uses it a lot more. Finally after a long time I convinced her to get rid of it. When I called to cancel it a few weeks ago they came up with a new offer of $77 a month to be reviewed in 6 months time, so don't be afraid to threaten to leave if you want a better deal.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tony54 For This Useful Post:

admin (06-08-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Maybe you can send this video to Foxtel Mr. Radio?

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (04-08-15),OSIRUS (04-08-15),pheggie (04-08-15),th37sk (06-08-15)

Thanks

I ditched foxtel 3 or 4 years ago moving to Vast, US Netflix, Hulu+ the usuals.

Currently, watching my neighbour's property for a few months while she's overseas. She has a $130 p/m foxtel sub. I can't even be bothered to bring her box and remote next door to watch free foxtel in her absence. It sucks that badly, imo. Even if entirely free, with all of the ads, etc. it just shits me.

I was in a shared full sub with some folks many years ago - couldn't keep people on it for $14.00 measly dollars per month. I can't even be bothered to use the product today, for free.