Thread: Multiswitch/LNB question

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Default Multiswitch/LNB question

I have access to a 21/12 multiswitch.

I have a question relating to the LNB input side only of a multiswitch

The multiswitch configuration is such that each satellite input group comprises four inputs - VL, HL, VH, and HH.

The multiswitch is intended for use with Quattro or Quad Universal LNB's.

As such, the multiswitch supplies both 12/18V polarising voltage and 0/22khz Band switching at each of the appropriate LNB inputs (entirely independent of whatever switching combination is arriving on the STB side).

The 22khz is permanently present on the two High Band inputs of each satellite group.

I want to use this multiswitch with dual-output 10700 Ku and 5150 dual-output LNBs - neither of which require 22khz for their operation.

Here's the question:

Will these LNBs work on the multiswitch LNB inputs which have permanent 22khz impressed on them?

Or will the presence of 22khz upset LNBs that are not expecting, or needing, to see 22khz?

I'm assuming that these LNBs will work OK on the VL and HL inputs, where only the 12/18V polarising voltages are present.

TIA.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 06-08-15 at 09:14 PM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Because the dual output LNB's don't require 22kHz switching, they will ignore its presence.

The only issue you may have is that the single-LO LNB's may not cover all of the transponder frequencies you need when connected to the H/L inputs, as the Quattro/Quad Universal LNB's have extended ranges, hence the switching between LO's.

This will affect the Ku frequencies more than those of the C-Band LNBs.

Hope this helps.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (06-08-15)

Thanks

Because the dual output LNB's don't require 22kHz switching, they will ignore its presence............

Hope this helps.
    More than you can imagine, MTV

Range won't be a problem - I will be simply moving my existing D1/D2/IS19 Ku and C-band system from an existing 8/4 multiswitch to the bigger unit.

The current arrangement has run out of room - the bigger multiswitch will give me the capacity to clutter up my backyard even more than at present - I've recently acquired an Andrew 1.8m solid, and an Optus 1.5m solid, both in great nick and at scrap prices, and I'm busting to set them up and try them out.

Had to order the multiswitch from EMP-Centauri in Czech Republic (couldn't get anything over 8 input in Australia), and I thought I'd ordered the model that permits disabling the 22khz via DIP switch.

But I screwed up, and got the one with permanent 22khz as described above - I won't tell you what I said when I opened up the package today

Anyhow, looks like disaster averted.

Now, if it will just stop bloody well raining, I've got some work to do.

Many thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 06-08-15 at 11:45 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

mtv (07-08-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Nice score with those dishes, as you are no doubt aware of new prices.

Let's know how you get on.

Thanks

Nice score with those dishes, as you are no doubt aware of new prices.
    Yep....$50 for the Andrew, $20 for the Optus....I'm happy.

Multiswitch is in and working......had a slight problem in that one out of five Strong receivers won't talk to it reliably - it's hit and miss as to whether it switches over or not. The other four work fine. The receiver in question worked fine for 18 months with the old Satking multiswitch, but not quite so well with the new EMP-Centauri.

Here's the install:

Thanks for the help....now I'd better get out there and plant some dishes to fill in all those spare F connectors

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

mtv (08-08-15)

Thanks

....had a slight problem in that one out of five Strong receivers won't talk to it reliably - it's hit and miss as to whether it switches over or not.
    Belay that!

No problem with the receiver….just a loose nut behind the controls

A crash course over the weekend in Committed/Uncommitted Diseqc provided the answer.

The EMP Multiswitch uses a combination of committed/uncommitted for the Diseqc control switching at the outputs.

Because I currently only have four sat inputs, and my receivers were still set to Diseqc 1.0 only, the Multiswitch gave the appearance of working, but not reliably in the absence of the Uncommitted command.

Further testing after the above post revealed that the other receivers were in fact exhibiting the same random erratic behaviour.

Fortunately the Strong receivers enable activation of Diseqc 1.0 and Diseqc 1.1 simultaneously.

Once I selected “1 of 16” in Diseqc 1.1, along with the existing Diseqc 1.0 command, all ran according to the book.

Seems that the Multiswitch, in the absence of combined 1.0/1.1 capability in the receiver, can also be controlled using Diseqc 1.2. Must try that one day.

All in all, an interesting weekend – lesson learned.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Belay that!

No problem with the receiver….just a loose nut behind the controls

There ought to be a tutorial on those 'loose nuts behind the Controls/wheels I reckon.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

There ought to be a tutorial on those 'loose nuts behind the Controls/wheels I reckon
    Gordon,

I reckon I could just about write a book on the subject