Thread: Free to Air via existing cable?

Thanks

Question Free to Air via existing cable?

Quick question.

Family member has moved into a unit with crap TV reception. The place has cable connected, looks like both cable providers.

Is there an easy way to obtain the FTA channels with a readily available decoder? Not looking at anything too technical, as it would need to be I set up and leave for him.

Happy to spend a couple of bucks on a receiver / decoder, as it's probably cheaper than putting up an external TV arial and running coax in.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Pom; 29-08-15 at 12:06 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If it's a metro area with FTA channels available in the package, then a subscription to that service will get them connected with a decoder, etc.
    Not worth it if they don't want the pay channels as well.

When you say 'crap TV reception' I assume you mean with just an indoor antenna, as you referred later to installing an external TV antenna.

IMHO, the latter would be the best solution.

Thanks

Exactly right. Metro area, but a hassle to instal an external antenna on a brick rental unit, and he's not interested in pay TV (hence a subscription not really an option), so looking for an option to get free to air via the cable.

Plan B will be to install an aerial, but would take many hours of mucking around for a bodgy result.
    Last edited by Pom; 29-08-15 at 12:06 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pom View Post
    Exactly right. Metro area, but a hassle to instal an external antenna on a brick rental unit, and he's not interested in pay TV (hence a subscription not really an option), so looking for an option to get free to air via the cable.

Plan B will be to install an aerial, but would take many hours of mucking around for a bodgy result.
    Unfortunately, you can't get the FTA channels off a pay package without a subscription & decoder.

Can't see why you'd have a 'bodgy result' if a terrestrial antenna is installed correctly.

Thanks

Happy to buy a decoder, but don't want to subscribe to a pay package.

RE: bodgy result -
    - No holes allowed in brickwork
    - Hence no proper support pole bracket
    - No holes allowed in floor or walls, hence no real entry point for cable
    - No termination point able to be mounted inside

So, pole tied on to side of unit with rope (as per neighbour) with no proper bracket, and cable run under doorway or through flyscreen directly to TV = Bodgy result.

Much easier if it were satellite as I have several decoders here suitable for FTA, but not sure what might be needed for cable.
    Last edited by Pom; 29-08-15 at 12:37 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Can't antenna be mounted on the roof and cable dropped down the wall cavity and replace the exiting cable wall plate with one that accommodated cable and FTA outlets?

Iron roof mounts can use existing tek screws and there are tile roof mounts that attach under the tiles... no holes in brickwork or roof.

I understand, rental properties have their challenges.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

pretty sure as a tenant you have the right to have access to fta tv

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'd think so too, weirdo, the Residential tenancies tribunal might be interested to hear about this one. Otherwise, the only suggestion would be to investigate streaming options from the various FTA channels. You can, at least, get the catch up shows on the various services.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Didn't expect a dispute on tenancy rights. The owner will not be paying for an antenna to be installed on the roof and states that 'rabbit ears' supply sufficient signal.

- Besser block construction, so no wall cavity to drop a cable
    - Tennants are not permitted to install anything on the roof
    - Existing foxtel wall plate is bored directly through the brick work and the cable run up the side the building, so not even room to squeeze another coax through without it being noticed
    - Could change the wall plate for a twin, but can't drill a 2nd hole to the outside world.

So, back on topic, I gather there is no easy way to get the FTA channels from foxtel cable without a subscription? Again, happy to purchase a decoder and had hoped that the FTA wouldn't require smart card / valid subscription.

Cheers,

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

No

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

What about a Phased Array antenna, a large flower pot and a 4 foot or so pole (50mm diameter) and stand it on a verandah if you gave one or at a window facing the TV transmitter if not.
    The Phased array is only about 18 inches square and 4 inches deep (450 by 100 mm )and to make it less visible, spray the elements with a flat mat green.
    It should take up no more floor space than a standard floor model fan does.
    Instead of the flowerpot, maybe the base off an floor model fan, sometimes these can be found during Council cleanouts by the roadside.
    If they claim there is sufficient signal for the use of Rabbit ears, the Phased array should work well.

Keep the cable length down to a minimum as you dont want to loose any signal.

To run a cable through a brick veneer wall I drilled through the cement where the bricks met and when the tenant moved, I siliconed the hole.
    Also inside, I chose where a power outlet was and brought the coax just under the plastic fitting and again on moving, good old silicon fixed it.
    Work on the principle that what the Eye doesnt see, the Landlord cant bitch about.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-08-15 at 02:46 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    What about a Phased Array antenna, a large flower pot and a 4 foot or so pole (50mm diameter) and stand it on a verandah if you gave one or at a window facing the TV transmitter if not.
    The Phased array is only about 18 inches square and 4 inches deep (450 by 100 mm )....
    As the OP said, it's a metro area so a VHF phased array antenna is very large.

Your description if for a UHF model.

Most tenancy agreements usually cover 'reliable' FTA reception.

If you can demonstrate rabbit ears don't provide reliable FTA reception, then the owner should be obliged to provide a suitable method to provide suitable reception.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sorry about that but if rabbit ears work after a fashion, a UHF Phased array has more 'metal' then they do and would be better than nothing.
    The Building Owners have supplied a 'reception facility' by means of cable (which includes FTA) even if its through Foxtel because like the electricity and Gas which is available, the tenant has to pay to connect and use it but are not obliged to do so.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Have you checked if their is a dish on top of the roof Foxtel can be either satellite or cable, if satellite "Vast" is your other option buy a vast decoder a one of fee.

Administrator
    Thanks

"If" it is satellite, you can combine a terrestrial antenna signal on the same cable, but you can't do that if pay tv is 'cable pay tv''.

Obviously, you'd still need a terrestrial antenna.

Another option if the roof is tiled is to install an antenna in the ceiling.

It's far from ideal, but usually much better than rabbit ears.

You can also try using the rabbit ears in different locations with an extension coax.

Thanks

Foxtel feed is definitely via cable - no dish to be seen. But, there is an external JBox on the cable, so I could disconnect there and use the lead in and wall plate, and just connect an external antenna there. Still need somewhere to mount it, but gets the coax connected to the TV.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Channel 7 is going to start Internet streaming Live FTA broadcasts for Channel 7, 7Two, 7Mate about December this year ...... no word on the other FTA channels at the moment

Seven to live stream all it's channels on internet 24/7 by Dec. 1st 2015

Last edited by OSIRUS; 30-08-15 at 10:47 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

What about just dangling a wire down the outside wall (assuming there are no kids around) and sitting an aerial on the roof. No holes need be drilled, it'll look ugly as sin, but, should give you some sort of reception.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

complain to Your Land Lord about bad FTA television reception ..... & get them to sort it out for you
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 30-08-15 at 04:28 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pom View Post
    Foxtel feed is definitely via cable - no dish to be seen. But, there is an external JBox on the cable, so I could disconnect there and use the lead in and wall plate, and just connect an external antenna there. Still need somewhere to mount it, but gets the coax connected to the TV.
    Yes, you could disconnect at that point and connect an antenna to that cable.