Thread: Updating Garmin 265W and 2012 Toyota Prado GPS

Thanks

Default Updating Garmin 265W and 2012 Toyota Prado GPS

I have an old Garmin 265W GPS which I have not used for several years, as we have a standard built-in GPS in the Prado. Because the Prado GPS is not as user friendly and very limited in areas including updating, I am considering going back to the Garmin for long touring trips.

Any tips on where to find updated maps and traffic information etc. for both GPS's would be appreciated.

If I have to buy the maps for the 265W it may well be better to update the Garmin to a more recent model, or are they still much the same?

Brian DJ

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Well, Garmin list the 265W as a discontinued product although they will still sell you a map for it ($180)

There are other options, the maps can be found at &
    You may have to join to see the download links.
    There are 2 listed, there is the 2016.10 Sensis & 2016.10 Here. The later will be about to be superseded by 2016.20.

Sensis would be what was on the 265W when you purchased it, Garmin have since changed map suppliers & both the Sensis & Here (Navteq) maps will work.
    Short discussion on differences at

The link at Garmin for your 265W is showing the Here map.

Both maps are similar but not the same, different areas of accuracy & inaccuracy.
    I use both as well as a couple of Topo maps, depending on where I'm going.

I'm sure your 265 W will work as you want, updating to a newer model would only be necessary if you want more features.
    As for the Prado, you may have difficulty getting a map for it without going thru your local Toyota dealer, try at the above places, they may have them.

My tutorial on how to load the maps is here,
    Last edited by Tiny; 07-09-15 at 11:05 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

bacdj (08-09-15),mtv (08-09-15)

Thanks

Thanks Tiny for your detailed information reply to my inquiry.

I tried several times to download the update files, but so far no luck. I clicked on the like etc and tried different methods for both the "Maps" and "More Maps" links and joined the relevant forums, but no luck yet except for heaps of popups. I will continue trying and if I continue to get frustrated will get back for more help.. Brian DJ

Thanks

G'day bacdj, seems odd that you're unable to download after joining the other forums. Specifically GPS Power where i can see there is a user with the same nick and listing nuvi 265W as device owned with an email address at yahoo.au. If that's you, you're a registered member with rights to see hidden links and content provided you hit the 'Like this post' button, then refresh your browser if necessary [F5 key on keyboard]. The reason you're getting all those pop-ups [maybe even link hijackers] is probably because you're not using something like AdBlock in your browser. If you're still having a problem, tell me which one you want, the 2016.10 Sensis or HERE for AUNZ, in either an already compiled image or PC Install then i'll PM or email you the best direct host site link [don't post your email here, i already have it ].

About Sensis DVD map disc for your Prado, it uses the C1 mapping data version as it's got a Denso C1 head unit. The AUv20/NZv9 is available in 12 rar parts here: (credits solely to Alfiogigio at GPSPower). For specific help in burning/loading, look at this thread . If you have problems with that, it would be very OT to continue in Garmin section here, so please post in that GPS Power thread [unless you can find an existing section in here for Denso or Toyota navi units but i can't see one].

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

bacdj (08-09-15),mtv (08-09-15),Tiny (08-09-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Any GPS topic posts that don't have a subcategory brand name can be posted in the general GPS section of this forum if you like.

Persevere Brian, you'll get it downloaded, some of those sites are very good at shoving adds in your face & distract you from finding the real download button.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

bacdj (08-09-15)

Thanks

Thanks Surething for your comments and offer. I have tried AGAIN and AGAIN, but still no luck, so I will take up your offer of additional assistance. I know I am getting (got) old, but now I think I must be getting (got) useless also. I did update the map on the 265W several years ago thanks to help from the forum, so I have done it previously. Yes, that is me on the GPS power site. From a comment earlier it would appear that Garmin suggest the Here map for my 265W. Brian DJ

Thanks

Either the HERE or Sensis versions will work equally well on your 265W Brian. A much earlier version of Sensis was originally factory loaded to your unit as the OEM mapping. Garmin now uses HERE exclusively as OEM so it's their policy to recommend HERE generally, but there are still lots of LM units around [lifetime map subscriptions] with Sensis OEM so it's still being offered. To a casual user there's little noticeable difference between the two, but advanced users do note specific advantages and disadvantages between HERE and Sensis.

If you're feeling particularly IT challenged [us old blokes don't learn new tricks easily], easiest way would be to follow Tiny's Tutorial: , look for the heading 'For Older Garmin GPS' and follow that. You can get the current unlocked Sensis full image file here [credit to wrecka2003 and his post here , just make sure you click 'regular download' on the Deposit files site, not 'gold download'. Try a different browser [if using Internet Explorer for insance, try Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera etc or vice versa]. If you're still getting hijackers or spoof links you'd best update or replace your AV software or get some additional spyware protection. If you're desperate and still can't use a hoster site after trying different browsers and adding to or replacing your protection and then doing a full scan you may need to pay a computer guy to professional clean your system because you could have some fairly nasty sh*t on there. This is free and good for a one-off scan without removing your current AV/spyware protection: .

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

bacdj (11-09-15),Tiny (11-09-15)

Thanks

Thanks Surething, I have downloaded the file, CNAUNZNT2o16.1o-HERE-IMG-UL, 263mg. I have read Tiny's tutorial previously, but will study it better before I attempt to transfer the file to the GPS.

My AVG professional popped up with a warning when the download started, but it still seemed to download OK. I then got a Message from webpage Warning Telstra+internet customer (124.177.125.239) from Aaustralia Serious security vulnerabilities might have been found on 9/11//2015 @ 12.46 Call 02-8417-2379 for immediate assistance! which I researched and ignored.

Will let you know how things progress with the install in the GPS.

Thanks again!! Brian DJ

Thanks

All went according to plan with the installation. Thanks again to all who assisted! Brian DJ

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bacdj For This Useful Post:

Surething (13-09-15),Tiny (12-09-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Good stuff mate and well done to those that helped out.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

bacdj (13-09-15),Surething (13-09-15),Tiny (12-09-15)

Thanks

Thanks for the acknowledgement Boss. Very few forum staff, particularly Admins, bother to do that although it takes but a few seconds and it's nice to see it from a member's perspective but only very occasionally though of course. Tiny and I have fairly broad Garmin knowledge between us and clearly we both like to help others where we can. I'll continue to do so without any further encouragement regardless and I'm quite sure Tiny doesn't post for any praise or thanks either. Regardless, thanks for taking the time in this case even though from our perspective it was a very easy fix. Cheers.

Congrats Brian, well done for persevering. If you're still completely flummoxed on updating your Prado's nav unit then do as Tiny suggested and post in the general GPS section. I can help you sort that with little mental gymnastics on your part.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

bacdj (13-09-15)

Thanks

Thanks again Surething, I will probably persist with the Toyota Update, but not for a week or two, as I have other things (grandson) on my plate, but appreciate your offer of further assistance and will no doubt need it.

It is comforting to know that most forums have a few members who have special knowledge/skills that they are prepared to share with people who have lesser skills, but still want to attempt to solve their particular problems without just asking someone else to do it for them. I remember last time I updated the Garmin a guy called Neil helped me way beyond my expectations, but I don't think it was on this forum, but if you are here Neil, Hi!.

Brian DJ

Thanks

Lol! Thanks, but no further comment on the .

Thanks

Hey guys

I also have a Garmin Nuvi 265w and want to update the maps as the op did. I have a further question, the GPS was purchased in 2009 and never had any updates both maps and firmware. Is it worth updating the firmware on this unit? If so could you please point me in the right direction

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irwazza View Post
    Hey guys

I also have a Garmin Nuvi 265w and want to update the maps as the op did. I have a further question, the GPS was purchased in 2009 and never had any updates both maps and firmware. Is it worth updating the firmware on this unit? If so could you please point me in the right direction
    yes it is, just don't use Garmin Express as it is unreliable & has a tendency to brick some units.

Download & use Garmin WebUpdater.

Cheers, Tiny

irwazza (07-03-16)

Thanks

Thanks Tiny

Thats all done now. I have now been looking at the map side of things. What exactly am I after. a Locked IMG? a UN-LOCKED IMG? GMAP folder?

I have downloaded a Unlocked GMAP folder 2016.20 but I am not sure how to use this on my gps?
    I have also noticed that 2017.10 has now been released but I am unsure what I need to download for my gps.

Cheers

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irwazza View Post
    Thanks Tiny

Thats all done now. I have now been looking at the map side of things. What exactly am I after. a Locked IMG? a UN-LOCKED IMG? GMAP folder?

I have downloaded a Unlocked GMAP folder 2016.20 but I am not sure how to use this on my gps?
    I have also noticed that 2017.10 has now been released but I am unsure what I need to download for my gps.

Cheers
    OK some basics, although I think they are in my Tutorial -sticky, Gmap folder is for installing map product on PC to view with MapSource. Not for GPS, don't put it on there.

You need unlocked image for GPS, latest version you can find, follow my Tutorial for installing or simply place the unlocked image on the GPS in the correct place with the correct name.
    For this purpose you would be calling the map gmapprom.img & it would replace the original or current gmapprom.img on the GPS.
    Should be located in the Garmin folder of your 265W, if not get back to me.

No other files should be necessary for this device.
    Cheers, Tiny

irwazza (09-03-16)

Thanks

Excellent, Thanks Tiny

I have that all sorted now. Have you written any guides for updating the safety camera side of things?

Cheers

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

No need for a guide for that, just download the new file put in the place on your GPS where the old file is, get rid of old file.

BTW; if you read my Tut you should have backed up all files before proceeding for just in case. Right.
    Cheers, Tiny

irwazza (09-03-16)