Thread: Garmin GMA protections and firmware restrictions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Garmin GMA protections and firmware restrictions

I'm looking at upgrading to newer model Garmin Nuvi's from the 14xx and 2x5 series that I currently use. My current devices have with a number of maps and POI's from different sources.

I've seeking some clarification on the GMA protections and firmware restrictions that are implemented in some (all?) newer Garmins. There is heaps of info around on various sites, but much of it contradicts itself, likely because of changes made over time. In particular, I'm having difficulty confirming what individual units are affected.

Essentially I'm looking at being able to transfer all my current maps - some which may not been obtained from legitimate sources - to one of the new units. Is this possible, or do measures in place by Garmin now restrict this?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

G'day Peter, read this thread: and also the links in the moderator note in it's initial post.

Most NT maps protection can be circumvented but definitely not in 2xx9 or in 2xx7/8 with HWID 2077, HWID 1582 is ok though. Unicode maps with codepage 65001 are still a problem to unlock for many units but there's a possible workaround too as you'll see.

Thanks

Thanks Surething. I only use NT maps, not the NTU, so at least that negates that as an issue.

So it would appear the newer 55/56/65/66 with the latest firmware will work with non-authentic maps (when unlocked correctly), but not the newest 57/67, 2xx9 or other new models.

I'll have a look at the Nuvi x5/x6 range to see if they are suitable and worth upgrading to.

Thanks

Update on this for you Peter. Progress has been made with a firmware mod for protected devices:

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-12-15)

Thanks

Impressive, very impressive. Thanks for the update.