Thread: Tor

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Tor

Some may wish to make a point by using TOR onion ring browser soon, so i have made easy for you!

But read the fine print as you cannot use it for torrents etc
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

best4less (04-10-15)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

What is the real advantage? Sure it is supposed to hide your IP but, it sounds like that there are plenty of holes though which your ID leaks anyway. Does it work any better than FF on which it is based?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (03-10-15)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

It's generally known that the NSA monitors the operators of a Tor node. So I can't see any advantages in using Tor, too.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Default Tor misused by criminals

A mate, an agressive video-downloader, recently downloaded and installed an video codecs package on his Windows PC to be able to watch a specific video. Result: His computer in many parts became unusable, means his computer got infected. Most of his personal files got AES encrypted with CryptoWall 3.0 ransomware. He was no longer able to open them in associated programs.

Also he found out that 1) in registry default Windows file associations massively were changed 2) about 40 PUPs got installed and 3) worst of all, DNS settings were changed. Fortunately he could fix most, because he some days ago had created a System Restore Point. But not recover the thousands of photos stored. He is still searching for a solution.

Why I report this here?

On PC he found message left by the criminals that to get the key to decrypt all the encrypted files he has to visit a specific website using a TOR network connection. And this within a few amount of hours.

Google-translation:
    What should I do?
    Sorry, but if you take no action within the specified time, the conditions will change for obtaining the private key and the special program.
    If you mean your data a lot, then we advise you not to waste your time searching for other solutions, such as there is not easy.

To get more detailed instructions, please visit our personal web page, are listed below some addresses that lead to us:
    1.http: //ayh2m57ruxjtwye6.speralreaopio.com/3acatt
    2.http: //ayh2m57ruxjtwye6.vremlreafpa.com/3acatt
    3.http: //ayh2m57ruxjtwye6.wolfwallsreaetpay.com/3acatt
    4.http: //ayh2m57ruxjtwye6.askhoreasption.com/3acatt

If the addresses are not available for any reason, follow these steps:
    1. Download Tor Browser and install it:
    2.Start the browser and wait for the initialization.
    3.Enter the following in the address bar: ayh2m57ruxjtwye6.onion / 3acatt
    4.Follow the instructions on the Web page.

Useful information:
    Your personal Web page:
    Your personal Web page (with TOR): ayh2m57ruxjtwye6.onion / 3acatt
    Your personal code (if the Web page (or the TOR website) directly open): 3acatt

In this current case the authors of the ransomware CryptoWall set up a website which is only reachable by using Tor.

Thanks

There's a select few VPN providers who support torrenting. I myself torrent through PureVPN ( )which enables them on a limited number of servers. The speed takes a hit but at least I won't be getting any stupid copyright notices because I want an AVI copy of a movie I already own on Amazon Video.

Banned

Thanks

Tor works great on open source/linux system, because you own and control your system. Windows is controlled by a company which collects all your info and actually controls your operating system, and it's the same with VPN. I'm told the NSA is extremely frustrated because they can't watch a well set up Linux systems and can't collect you data, as every time they find away, within 24hrs someone has a fix and tells everyone.

One of the the reasons I dumped Microsoft after the frustration of 8-8.1 was the horrendously large downloads over my small bandwidth sat connection, sent my account into being shaped after few days of the new period.

The friend who got me into Linux showed me on his system which is called kali, how easy it was to infiltrate and take over a Win computer and how incredibly vulnerable win 10 is. I was pretty shocked, so after fuming for a couple of days, got him to set up a dual boot linux mint which is only 1.5gig and after a week got him to remove win10 as it still persisted in wanting to download huge updates which most of the time brought more problems. Then discovered all my bandwidth had been used up for the 3rd month in a row.

Now I'm in heaven, no more problems, updates are reasonable small, can be controlled and you can choose whether you want to download them or not and they make a good difference. The software is exceptional and way ahead of windows, so set up Tor on linux and found it excellent to use. Then he told me I didn't need to use it with Mint for what I did, as no one could get into it any way and if they did, they couldn't get past the console, whatever that means.
    Last edited by spook; 16-10-15 at 10:18 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to spook For This Useful Post:

allover (16-10-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

So out of curiosity, if i have duel boot and use Linux there is no way that NSA or who ever can get access into my computer?? Not that i am planning any thing untoward!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Banned

Thanks

That I can't tell you, only had a dual boot for a week and was so impressed, couldn't wait to get rid of bloat ware as Linux users call it. I'm still finding out so many wonderful things I can do with it for free and safely and haven't had any security problems. Keep checking for intrusions and viruses, which I'm beginning to realise is a hangover from decades of windows paranoia.

Now I'm learning to set up my own VPN and as with all linux things I've wanted to do, everything is laid out for me. Was paranoid about using the terminal, for fear of stuffing things up, but was told to set up a VB and play in that, follow the instructions and you can't go wrong.

So I'm setting up my own VPN and experimenting with mint in a virtual box, every time I stuff things up, just reload the ISO in the the VB and bingo, ready to stuff it up again. When I get it right, I do the same in my main machine and it's so nice to have such control and freedom in my computing. Check these links regarding VPN it may help if you decide to dual boot and want to steer clear of propriety VPN's