Thread: Basemap for Garmin Nuvi 3760

Thanks

Default Basemap for Garmin Nuvi 3760

Hi Guys,

When trying to free up space for some US maps I made the n00b mistake of deleting my basemap. I've tried performing all of the resets, setting the device back to default, upgrading maps etc. etc. with no success. My device can plan routes and give me step by step direction, I just can't view the maps to browse or scroll around. After doing plenty of googling, apparently if you don't have gmapbmap.img, this is the end result.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I'm not sure if loading a base map from another device will help, so I'll have a look into it for you & get back. As I would be happy to upload 1 of my base maps for you if it would work.

In the meantime member surething may pop in with the relevant fix.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Ok preliminary results say it will work to upload someone else's basemap & may solve your problem as long as you haven't deleted any another important files, however I think it may be region specific to the gps, so when you say US maps; what basemap did the device come with or rather what country did you buy the Nuvi from?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Thanks Tiny. I purchased my Nuvi in Australia and I'm trying to run Australian/New Zealand maps, the loading of the US maps was just temporary when I was over there. I thought I'd actually backed up my device before playing with file deletion but I can't seem to find the files if I did. :-| *facepalm*

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Assuming this NUVI has a micro sd card slot, you need to put all the big additional maps on the card as per my tutorial (sticky).
    That gives you the room back, then I will upload my basemap to the free file storage place of your choice or I will have to send it to you as a zip file by email, ~55MB.

For the file storage place give me a link & I'll upload to it then post it.
    For the email PM me your email address & I'll send it.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mtv (22-10-15)

Thanks

Worked like a charm Tiny, thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Excellent! good to win one every now & again.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

kato249 (22-10-15),mtv (22-10-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Excellent help offered there Tiny.

It's members like you that help make Austech what it is.

Thank you.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-10-15)

Thanks

For the future guys it's worth noting that most basemaps in modern Garmin devices [in fact in ALL current and recent automotive devices] are 'one-off' factory-loaded worldwide routable DEM basemaps. Some early units such as 200/300/600 series nuvis had regional non-DEM basemaps [i.e. Americas, Atlantic, Pacific] but even they had a usable World component albeit even less detailed again compared to the OEM region which is itself quite brief anyway. Regardless basemaps are not meant for day-to-date accurate and efficient routing. Ok to find a large City in foreign parts but maybe won't properly route to it and some very old automotive basemaps are not even routable anyway. In short, if you try to work a Garmin unit or software such as Moble PC or Mobile XL without a basemap it might apparently run fine only using the detail map but will crash or freeze if you zoom out beyond the capabilities of the detail map and attempt to scroll. Generally any basemap will work on any unit [mostly], also the 'wrong' one is better than none at all. A long-standing and imo lazy 'quirk' which Garmin should address is that if the basemap is deleted from the unit a routine map or software update won't offer another basemap. Compare that situation to the timezone map [gmaptz.img] which is updated quite regularly with software updates, but for proper operation of the device a timezone map is in no way as imperative as a basemap is. Apparently Garmin doesn't offer to update basemaps via Garmin Express, MapUpdater or WebUpdater because of the [mostly correct] attitude that generally 'any old basemap will do'. That's a problem if you delete yours without a backup though.

Now, specifically for the 3790. Those units had Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap NR Version 5 loaded as OEM. There is a later Version 5.01 now but the differences are quite minimal and inconsequental. Tiny's 14xx also had V5.00 loaded as OEM so kato249 you've now got EXACTLY the same basemap as the one you deleted.

Jargon/Acronym/Initialism buster:
    Autoroute = Routable [i.e. can be used to plan a route by road between points as opposed to navigating in a direct straight line].
    DEM = *Digital Elevation Modelling [aka 3D terrain]. If only contained in a Basemap then is only visible at higher zoom levels. Not present in early basemaps and DEM is unusable by earlier units anyway.
    NR = Not Restricted or Nonrestricted [probably] meaning it's not locked and freely available. Sometimes mistakenly said to mean Not Routable or Nonroutable but that's clearly a nonsense when in the same map name as 'Autoroute'.

*There's another entirely different Garmin DEM map which is a supplemental detail map usually named gmapdem.img and is used in such units as 3xxx series, 3790 included. It's for 3D terrain display at low zoom levels. As with a basemap it's not locked and if you delete the unit's OEM DEM map it won't normally be replaced by Garmin Express or MapUpdater. Yet another type of 3D map is for 3D buildings and landmarks, usually named gmap3d.img. It's also usable in 3790 and is tied to a specific version City Navigator detail map. It's locked to an individual unit.

A good source to solve further similar 'missing map problems' for users: As well as other 'hard to find' maps, there's a fine array of basemaps available here: [scroll down to WORLD AND BASE MAPS].
    Last edited by Surething; 25-10-15 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo correction.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    Now, specifically for the 3790. Those units had Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap NR Version 5 loaded as OEM. There is a later Version 5.01 now but the differences are quite minimal and inconsequental. Tiny's 14xx also had V5.00 loaded as OEM so kato249 you've now got EXACTLY the same basemap as the one you deleted.
    Not quite my friend, actually my 1490 backup shows V4.00, so I helped our friend with V5.01 from my 2597 backup.

Thanks for the additional info, much appreciated.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

My mistake! I though you had a quite recent 'run-out' 1450LM, all of the run-out 1xxx's had V5. The very earliest 1xxx devices here and elsewhere had the quite large V2 which due to lower compression is ~100MiB compared to V4/5/5.01 of ~48MiB. I've got well over a dozen 1xxx from 1200 CAN thru to 1450LM US but apart from one 1300 US the rest are AU 1260/1350/1390/1450/1490's. Depending on their age they had V2, V4 and V5 loaded as OEM and it's a good way to guess their age in conjunction with S/No of course. 1xxx was sold from 2009 until 2013 generally.