Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Thanks

Default That about sums up why fttp is the go-to technolgy

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    If we laid fibre to every home and business, we'd secure our communications and data transfer speeds for the future for everyone. We'd lower any future cost of updating and drive Aus based technology business. It would also open up many small online business with the same speeds no matter where they were, giving everyone and equal footing to work on.

We'd have a system enabling communications across the country instantly, long term cost effective, ease of maintenance and reasonably secure. Fully underground systems are more reliable, safer and normally survive dramatic surface events.
    One of the best stated reasons I have seen as to why we need FTTP. We need it now but in the future we will need it so much more. When that time comes and it is not so far away, it will become evident that what we have is not 2nd, 3rd or even 4th best. It is rubbish now and in 10 years not worth a pinch of poop.
    In 10 years all the naysayers here supporting this unworkable muddle of technologies will have long before quietly slipped away from NBN forums and move on to some other "Stick" to beat the Labor Party over.
    The election is over and it now appears narrow-minded voters have ensured the Liberal Party get another run. Some voters like to keep their negatively-geared investment hopping along but didn't take the time to read the fine print on what Labor were offering. They might fancy themselves somehow connected to the Big End of Town but now not just those voters but their kids, part of the next generation of adults struggling with an antiquated communication system will wear it big time. Thanks so much.
    philbo
    Last edited by Philbo; 08-07-16 at 12:39 AM.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

And now they're wanting another $20 Billion!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Just a few updates as of today's date released by Bill Morrow, HFC area conversion to be cut back 30% and go to the node.ie i get 100/1 so it will be cut back to 25/5(?) speed if i am one of the 30%
    NBN has suddenly realized that growth in demand is 30% per annum up to 2020
    ref page 6 Business Day Opinion, The Age
    It was expected that current rates of use would be 91gig per annum but is now actually 131 gig per month
    Projected revenues are in line with original estimates when floated (me paraphrasing) if fit for purpose when finished "quote"
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

What ever system is eventually used,(FTTN/FFTH, long piece of wet string) it was NEVER going to be cheap because much of it was based on 'Projections' and 'Guessestimates' because it had never been done before.
    I still firmly believe in the concept and that despite the cost, go for the best (FTTH) currently available as once it is done, its there for the long term.

I dont believe the FTTN method is the best because it is using a combination of old and new, as in parts of the 'Copper Network' which according to both sides in places its in a very bad state and common sense indicates that eventually even the usable parts will one day age and need replacing.

20 Billion Dollars??? Barely the first of many such requests I think to finish the project.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Consistent FTTH would always have been significantly cheaper because the same hardware would be always used and that mass produced always becomes much cheaper.
    Also the installation process would have been usually the same and the old rule becomes valid: once you done it a few times you just get better(and much quicker) at it.
    Even horizontal digging under concrete gets much easier once the right tools are created.

However the general rule applies: if you let a politician decide you will never get what you want (unless you are in a successful lobby group which is only reserved for the rich and fortunate).
    So the dimwits decided to do patchwork and this was/is aways going to be a very messy job that often needs time consuming special attention with individual installations that have unforeseen difficulties. Some might go well for now but others will end up with bandwidth issues once FHD net TV (don't even think about UHD) becomes the norm for all, including every family member.

This was 100% predictable back then but even important forum moderators/admins here were (and probably still are) in denial with both eyes shut just like the political party they glorify.

ALL MY LIFE my main interest was focussed on technological progress, both in my profession and hobby and I am EXTREMELY disappointed of the short sightedness presented by the current government in regards to all areas of technology and progress not only with this failed NBN but also major cuts to the CSIRO, stepping away from renewable energy, yet still subsidising the coal industry with roughly 10billion tax cuts that nobody talks about in the hypocritical budget.

Individual states like SA don't want to hear about it because they already run their electricity generation on 40% renewables and want gas turbines for backup and peak power demand, yet Turnbull and Co just keep babbling on about their ancient coal, now with the strong support of the Hanson party.
    If you think I am off topic , think again. This is the mentality of the Government you voted: ancient, backdated and senile.
    So why should there be a working future proof NBN ?
    200 billion for some submarines mainly to pay for the installed of technology from other countries, to fight said other country's wars are much more important.
    Duh !!!

Edit: Just have a light bulb moment: How about we sell our existing NBN to China
    That should fix up the budget and perhaps they might actually finish it.
    Probably broke half the time but at least we can't blame any Aussie company.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-08-16 at 11:40 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (29-08-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

^ Well said nomeat (NOoooooooo)

Listening to TurdBull on the radio the other day talking about how the other parties/senators should work with the gubmint re policy and budget matters for the good of the country had me in stitches .............. these same fu*kers who purely for political gain destroyed the only worthwhile nation building project in half a century

Who will pay the tens of BILLIONS it will cost to fix their short term gain @ the polls ?????.........................you and me, whilst TurdBulls mates made $$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks

Mr Wonderful Times has stuffed up everything he touches.

The NBN was deliberate sabotage though.
    The true cost to repair/upgrade it and it will need it, will be astronomical for future generations and we should all blame the Liberals (and the Nationals), for playing games with massively important infrastructure ,that effects our future earnings, costs and way of life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dishtrackted View Post
    ... for playing games with massively important infrastructure ,that effects our future earnings, costs and way of life.
    You can't blame only one side of politics for this debacle. The original Labor NBN plan was not properly costed nor implemented, and by later admission of the Minister at the time (Conroy) they never intended on delivering as promised. The project ended up running well over budget and massively behind schedule. The LNP were right to review the entire project and make changes - but changing to a mixed-mash of technologies was not the right way.

The project - instead of being a 'massively important infrastructure' build - become nothing more than a tool for political point scoring by BOTH the ALP and the LNP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you leave politics out of it, Australia needs FTTP.

Choosing old technology now is a waste of money and time, because eventually, it will all need to be upgraded to fibre anyway.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (31-08-16)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    You can't blame only one side of politics for this debacle. The original Labor NBN plan was not properly costed nor implemented, and by later admission of the Minister at the time (Conroy) they never intended on delivering as promised. The project ended up running well over budget and massively behind schedule. The LNP were right to review the entire project and make changes - but changing to a mixed-mash of technologies was not the right way.

The project - instead of being a 'massively important infrastructure' build - become nothing more than a tool for political point scoring by BOTH the ALP and the LNP.

Not as much as it is now.
    This was a new tech that nobody could predict and how many highway and other gov infrastructure projects have blown out the past and still do.
    My point above that one the fibre installs become a standard process and all the issues are ironed out things would have gone much smoother.

NBN was a company and all the cost and unlike most other GOV spending would have eventually been earned back and this could have happened probably quicker as originally expected.
    Why the stubborn LNP hate against this fibre business is totally pathetic.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Because, as mentioned, it has bugger all to do with the technology for either party and all to do with 'politics'.

Premium Member

Thanks

This continuing opposition to FTTH by the LNP reminds me of that saying where a Person says they dont agree with another but will defend their right to say it as the LNP knows they made the wrong choice but are prepared to go down in flames backing it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (31-08-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

One word, Murdoch!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (31-08-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    One word, Murdoch!!
    Lost me there on that one unless you mean he saw which way the Gooses in Power were flying and saw a way to profit from it.

Premium Member

Thanks

Gordon, getting a bit worried about you Murdoch = Foxtel and diminishing returns due to competition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Not as much as it is now.
    This was a new tech that nobody could predict and how many highway and other gov infrastructure projects have blown out the past and still do.
    My point above that one the fibre installs become a standard process and all the issues are ironed out things would have gone much smoother.

NBN was a company and all the cost and unlike most other GOV spending would have eventually been earned back and this could have happened probably quicker as originally expected.
    With all the advances in deploying passive fibre networks, that weren't known about when Labor set up nbn but the wise people employed to run it foresaw may come into existence, fttp as envisioned by Labor may well have exceeded their initial figure, but there is little doubt that it would be cheaper than the current Lib mess, despite nbn having to slash the number of hfc premises to try to reduce the cost of mtm.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you leave politics out of it, Australia needs FTTP.

Choosing old technology now is a waste of money and time, because eventually, it will all need to be upgraded to fibre anyway.
    I would love to hear why you NEED 100Mb/s and what you would do with it.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    I would love to hear why you NEED 100Mb/s and what you would do with it.
    Why, don't you think there is a need for Australia to have that technology available, especially when many other countries have speeds available beyond that?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Why, don't you think there is a need for Australia to have that technology available, especially when many other countries have speeds available beyond that?
    I'm asking why YOU think you need that speed and what YOU would use it for. There are some who would require it but most households wouldn't yet they will still pay for via taxation. Bit like building a 6 lane superhighway from Broome to Darwin and upping everyones rego to pay for it.

Administrator
    Thanks

Where did I say I needed 100Mb/s?

There are many users that require it... do you disagree?

If you think Australia should adopt old technology and waste money on a sub-standard system, that's fine, it's your opinion.

Most others in this discussion appear to want fibre, to do whatever they choose to do with it.

• Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast