Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Banned
    Thanks

Read my previous post. I said there ARE some who would need it and utilise it. Who would they be? well if I was drawing up a list it would probably go something like this.
    Commerce/industry , educational centres , medical centres , financial centres ( and now come the real benefactors) taxation , law enforcement , centrelink , medicare , customs , border protection , military , ASIO/ASD , and a miriad of other shaddowy govt groups. Note that MTV and Joe Bloggs doesn't make the list. BUT you think the taxpayer should fork out to have FTTP at millions of homes though it will likely NEVER be used for anything other than having access to 100 movie channel at once of a fridge that orders more milk when your running low.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Why not install fibre to the premises... considering it's costing more to use old technology copper than it would be to install fibre now.

Cheaper and faster... good planning for the future.

Banned
    Thanks

For the same reason that it would be stupid to make EVERY road 4 lane capacity. It is simply not needed and wont be fully utilised. By all means have the network backbone fibre then (just like electricity , gas and water ) have the individual supply sized to your requirements and paid for by the end user. How simple is that ?

Administrator
    Thanks

You've made your point, watchdog.

I'm for it, you're against it... quite simple.

Banned
    Thanks

I'd still like to know what your going to use your 100Mb/s for?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    I'd still like to know what your going to use your 100Mb/s for?
    Whatever I like.

Banned
    Thanks

Hmm enough said

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

By all means have the network backbone fibre then (just like electricity , gas and water ) have the individual supply sized to your requirements and paid for by the end user. How simple is that ?
    ^ This.

If a user needs it a user should pay for it, just like every other utility and/or service.

Banned
    Thanks

The real con about this is that while they are selling you a High Speed Internet service they will offer NO Guarantee on the speed you end up with.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

The real con about this is that while they are selling you a High Speed Internet service they will offer NO Guarantee on the speed you end up with.
    True, yes, but what they can and will guarantee is that they will cut off my copper line when they wish to.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Watchdog, I agree with you BUT I have 100mb and would never go back. This was never about the now but the future. Who can predict what developments are going to take place, it is about future proofing
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (08-09-16)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

^^ Agree.
    I have FTTN - I'm around 500~550 metres from the node.
    In the early days there were some teething problems due to lack of CVC but now I get a constant 67Mbit down and 26Mbit up and being a 'loyal' customer get the speed boost for free.
    I could never go back to ADSL2+ that'd be just too painful.
    I don't download that much but it's great being able to download a 1Gig file in 2 mins.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    ^ This.

If a user needs it a user should pay for it, just like every other utility and/or service.
    What that Sir? Your lights go dim when ever you turn on the stove? Ah I see the problem. You are on the wrong plan. You need to upgrade to the 40 amp plan, for only $40 more / month.

What's that Sir? No water is coming out of your tap? Ah I see the problem. You are on the wrong plan. You need to upgrade to the 30,000 kl plan, for only $60 more / month.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    What that Sir? Your lights go dim when ever you turn on the stove? Ah I see the problem. You are on the wrong plan. You need to upgrade to the 40 amp plan, for only $40 more / month.

What's that Sir? No water is coming out of your tap? Ah I see the problem. You are on the wrong plan. You need to upgrade to the 30,000 kl plan, for only $60 more / month.
    In case your not aware YES that is "pretty much " how it works

Thanks

What that Sir? Your lights go dim when ever you turn on the stove?...

What's that Sir? No water is coming out of your tap? ...
    You missed the point. You paid your electricity provider to have your electricity connected, just like you paid to have your water provided to have your water connected - it's the same with your home phone service, gas service, etc. Yet the taxpayer cops the bill to have your NBN connected - why? If a person wants the NBN connected they should pay for the connection.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

The word Turnbull is in the topic of this thread so I am keeping this political!

The point of this whole thread is not who pays for fibre but the ridiculous outdated dysfunctional messy system the LNP decided to choose against a clean wall to wall fibre optic system that most of the civilised world already employ these days because they had the brains to figure out that it will be cheaper then bandaid solutions with copper.

Unlike all other gov projects (like the $200billion for 12 submarines) the taxpayer funding for NBN is basically a loan and the usage will/should pay it back eventually.
    Thanks to Turnbull a lot more dividends will be required to pay it back for less functionality.

So when in 5-10 years 100Gb/s is the norm (average 4 person household viewing streamed content on 4K terminals simultaneously) Turnbull's MTM (Major Technological Meltdown) NBN will not suffice and will be proven a total waste of money and it will never be paid back because many will have to resort to alternative short lived and expensive technologies.

Watchdog you are a typical example of the average Australian who can not think ahead and this is why we are mostly far behind the rest of the world.
    Thanks to the LNP we will always stay that way, also with their only focus on the coal industry and gutting of the CSIRO, who in the past did manage to put us ahead on a few occasions.
    Ironically the CSIRO claims to have 'invented' WiFi (has many patents), so it just fits here perfectly for our Coalition Government to cut their funding.

Even more ironical is that I am NOT a fan of the CSIRO because their humungous number of holding patents actually impede the development of new technologies here. As there are hardly any institutions apart from a few UNIs projects, we suffer here in Australia from a bad case of brain drain where many who studied here seek and find better opportunities overseas.
    So I guess you are right Mr Watchdog, why would we need superfast broadband if even backyard- or garage entrepreneurs have little chance of success here.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-09-16 at 06:03 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (10-09-16)

Thanks

You missed the point. You paid your electricity provider to have your electricity connected, just like you paid to have your water provided to have your water connected - it's the same with your home phone service, gas service, etc. Yet the taxpayer cops the bill to have your NBN connected - why? If a person wants the NBN connected they should pay for the connection.
    Oh sure you pay. A nominal fee. If you think for a moment that you pay the full costs of connecting electricity (unless you are having the high voltage network built out to your locality) or water or gas or even a standard Telstra phone service connected you are so far out of touch that there is simply no point in continuing the discussion.

The Libs have moved nbn installations in new 'virgin' properties to a nominal fee too.

So point missed? Hardly.

Unlike that gas, electricity and water connection that has served and will continue to serve the needs of a normal household for decades the copper re-use portion of MTM is obsolete from day one. Not only is it obsolete it's also built largely on failing decades old copper (and in some areas aluminium!) wires that is already biting people on FTTN with faults.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 09-09-16 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks

In case your not aware YES that is "pretty much " how it works
    Oh no it ain't. The standard electrical installation, depending on the state, is 60 to 100amps. That's enough to satisfy the demands of any normal household. A similar thing can be said for the water supply.

Yet the 'broadband' solution being installed by the Libs often isn't enough for the usage patterns of the same normal household today, let alone what will be happening tomorrow.

Imagine if your normal mains installation was 5 amps. You'd be bitching and moaning day after day about having to pay to get a 60 amps service. And don't say you wouldn't be. You would. Guaranteed. Bitching 24 x 7.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (10-09-16)

Thanks

Oh sure you pay. A nominal fee. If you think for a moment that you pay the full costs of connecting electricity (unless you are having the high voltage network built out to your locality) or water or gas or even a standard Telstra phone service connected you are so far out of touch that there is simply no point in continuing the discussion.
    Nominal fee or not, the user of those other services service pays something for the connection - unless we're talking NBN.

Then of course there are the private costs (plumber, electrician, etc) to take the service from the connection point into your home. Once again, the user pays for these connections which can be very expensive - but not with the NBN.

As of 1 September 2016 the NBN Co offical stats advise there are more than 3 million homes who have the NBN installed and available - yet only 1.2 million have chosen to connect. Yes, less than half - yet most of those 'available' connections have the service run and installed into their homes (excluding satellite/wireless).

This is a massive waste of resources which would be avoided if the user had to pay for the connections - even if it was only a 'nominal fee'.

I don't see that as out of touch, just common sense.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

This is a massive waste of resources which would be avoided if the user had to pay for the connections - even if it was only a 'nominal fee'.

I don't see that as out of touch, just common sense.
    Have you even seen how it is done? I mean how they passed fibre though suburb streets back then?
    I have and most of the time it is a piss easy job, that wouldn't cost much.
    In our suburb there was hardly any digging. They just widened the holes for slightly larger pits that two houses share and the fibre is just pulled through while they pull out the copper.

I spoke to 2 workers, a foreman and an engineer and all told me that the delays and consequent extra costs back then were due to bureaucratic delays and stuff ups from Telstra.
    The actual connection from the street pit to my study was done in an hour.

I don't see here a massive waste of resources for infrastructure that is made available to everybody even if they don't think they need it right now.

How about the Liberal Baird government in NSW spending 13 billion just for a few kilometres of Highway in Sydney(more then a similar sized section of the English Channel Tunnel) that I and most other residents of NSW will never use and another 18million to demolish and rebuild an existing railway line because he doesn't like double decker trains and that the train stations are not exactly 1.3km apart. This is indirectly funded by everybody for example through the theft sell-off of our electricity infrastructure.
    Now that is a massive waste of resources!

...and not a working future proof NBN that will benefit even those sad NBN haters one day when they are connected to life support systems in their home that requires a decent highly reliable data network, capable of transmitting high resolution graphic because it will be eventually a lot cheaper monitoring then that way than keeping them in hospitals alive, when we finally realise that only automation will allow to manage the health care needs of an immense amount of old people one day in the not so distant future.

Jeez guys, wake up!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-09-16 at 10:24 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (10-09-16)

• Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast