Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I'm a bit over 500 meters from the node and from their end my connection speed is estimated to be 78Mb/sec.
    I hope they're right.
    I'd be interested in seeing your line stats when it's up. SNR, attention etc.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Will post them when I get connected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Dont forget under no circumstances can or will Fibre be used direct to the premises UNLESS the customer requests it and pays for it and even so, this will only be available to Business, not private users.
    Not true. Nearly all new housing estates are having FTTH installed.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    Not true. Nearly all new housing estates are having FTTH installed.
    I will stand correcting on that if it is being done by the NBN as part of the 'Broadband Rollout' but I gather the estate developers do this as part of their development permit along with Gas, Water and Electricity but it is done under a PRIVATE contract arrangement even if it is Telstra or the NBN who do the installation which is then included in the sale price along with all the other facilities.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-12-15 at 11:26 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

That isn't what you stated - i.e. "under no circumstances can or will Fibre be used direct to the premises ". I don't care who does the installation - it is the NBN that provides the Internet connection. This is exactly the same methodology as FTTN where older homes have had copper cables installed by PRIVATE developers, which was then maintained by Telstra, & under the FTTN model will be transferred to the NBN. In fact all NEW estates will have NBN services delivered by fibre DIRECT TO THE PREMISES.
    Last edited by jgm; 02-12-15 at 12:50 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

I based that comment on the statements made by Malcome Turnball prior to the last elections when it was the LNP policy to only go the FTTN method and NOT the FTTH as proposed by the Labour Party.
    There was always provision to go FTTH on a 'User Pays' basis or if the current facilities were unsuitable to use the FTTN system but basically FTTN was the preferred system.
    If you read my remarks you would see I was referring to it as a POLITICAL decision by the current LNP who also said we didnt need a second satellite for Rural/Regional Internet users but as far as I am aware, it is still going ahead.

Now while new housing estates MAY be connected by FTTP or H, pre existing locations may not as the residents of Dubbo, NSW have been informed by the NBN as the 'Rollout' is due to commence there.
    In a town of 40,000, only some are to be connected by FTTH or P and the rest will be FTTN but NBN wont say who gets what just yet leaving the residents to wait until they see the work crews coming to their door.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-12-15 at 01:51 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Oh dear another blow out, i thought malcolm might back off now he is PM, but in Australia we do not concede we have stuffed up we just keep on going (applies to all pollies)
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

FTTN cost pre premises currently at $1600. A slight increase on the $650 the Libs were touting prior to gaining office. Yet, whilst FTTN costs continue to ratchet up and up and up, FTTP costs are coming down. Always down. Each and every document shows that FTTP is coming down, inline with projections made in Labor's original FTTP plans.

What could we have expected FTTP average cost per premises to fall to by the end of the project if it had remained at 93%? Let's take a look at NZ. FTTP costs per premises currently $2200 with $1800 expected for FY 2016 and further falls eventually to around $1050 projected.

Way to go Mal. Way to go.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 03-12-15 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks

You still don't get it. New estates will ALL get FTTH - not because the current facilities are unsuitable for FTTN, but because they DO NOT exist, & NBN will NOT instal copper (actually they won't instal anything to the home except the tail from the street where necessary. As for Turnbull's pronouncements; they change as often as he changes his socks - remember he was the one at the election before (the one they lost) who was all for putting everyone on wireless as no one wanted fixed lines.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    You still don't get it. New estates will ALL get FTTH - not because the current facilities are unsuitable for FTTN, but because they DO NOT exist, & NBN will NOT instal copper (actually they won't instal anything to the home except the tail from the street where necessary. As for Turnbull's pronouncements; they change as often as he changes his socks - remember he was the one at the election before (the one they lost) who was all for putting everyone on wireless as no one wanted fixed lines.
    Except the brand new estate that just had copper put in the ground in my home town in regional Victoria.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Now even on Australia's favourite news site :

So....all in all the cost blowout of this dodgy NBN is expected to exceed the cost of Labor's 'no good' FTTH solution that nobody wanted and the Liberal solution even questioned here over a year ago could end up with a ban. Admin gone all quiet now?

Turnbull and the Liberals can not afford another backflip because the brainwashed voters voted against full fibre NBN.
    Therefore our tax money will continue to be wasted for this band-aid solution. In the meantime Internet TV is creeping up on us, if you want it or not. You can hardly even buy a TV that is not 4K and that content will only ever be achievable over the net.

I bet if Labor had promoted FTTN back then, Turnbull/Libs would have gone full FTTP. That is how silly politics is. Common sense never prevails.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

And yet we keep getting told how important Innovation is while we hold onto copper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    So....all in all the cost blowout of this dodgy NBN is expected to exceed the cost of Labor's 'no good' FTTH solution that nobody wanted and the Liberal solution even questioned here over a year ago could end up with a ban. Admin gone all quiet now?
    It is curious that those that always paint themselves as not politically aligned somehow managed to completely avoid nbn spending $800 million on Optus' cable network only to find out that on the whole they are going to have to burn through another $500 million or so rolling out FTTN to replace it due to the extremely poor state of that cable network. To top it all off the glib response to blowing $800 million was "It's good governance".

Imagine all the bleating and carrying on on this forum that would have ensued had that happened under Labor.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

Drift (04-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Sorry guys i cannot help myself, i looked up the definition of a troll and think that i am a marginal/border line troll on this particular post, BUT due to statements made previously by members on this site and my warning of wait and see what happens when the Libs get into power keeps echoing in my head, some may say that is because there ain't much there any way
    Now even Senator Conroy is starting to look like a forward thinking genius who may have been well advised all the time by the right people

Premium Member

Thanks

Actually I think had people been able to Vote for or against going the FTTH option it possibly would have won the Day as the preferred choice but it came with a package deal of electing the LNP whose winning proposal was to 'Stop the Boats' which most voters saw as being more urgent and needed than a yet to be implemented Internet system of delivery which could be changed anytime.
    It wont be the first time for Political necessity a Government has done a 'Back Flip' on previously 'written in stone' policies.

I think its obvious I have never supported or voted for Tony Abbott or the LNP but 'Stopping the Boats' was to me a prime issue and one that had to be implemented, even to having this lousy FTTN system and Tony Abbott and Co.

Cracks in both Federal and State LNP headed Governments are appearing to show just how clay footed they are despite looking so consolidated they were that maybe now we're on the run to the next elections, they might just be more likely if they want to be re-elected to listen and follow public opinion as they cant keep trotting out Labours errors forever.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-12-15 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks

... and here we all were thinking that we've pretty much hit bottom, it can't get any worse. Well it has. First up, let's be clear about it, the intent [under Labor] was always to eventually sell nbn off to the private sector, but for a profit. Let's see what Mal is up to.

First we buy, sight unseen, the aged failing copper networks from Telstra and Optus, effectively pissing in excess of $15 billion up the wall (score for Telstra and Optus).

Then we allocate many more billions to bring those networks up to a standard where they can actually be used for the purpose purchased (score for Telstra, Optus and the maintenance companies).

Then we spend another bucket of money fixing Telstra's ducts and conduits, which remain Telstra assets (score for Telstra).

Then after committing some 60 billion dollars to the MTM we, well the Libs anyway, enter into discussions to sell it all back to Telstra.... for $20 billion... in the next three or so years.

To summarise: Hey, Telstra, your network is falling apart. Let us fix it for you, for free. No wait, we want to pay you $40 billion for letting us fix it. If this debacle doesn't have Telstra shareholders skipping and dancing all the way to the bank I don't know what would.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 05-12-15 at 11:25 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (05-12-15)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

That is just business as usual for the lobbyists who are REALLY controlling this country.
    They got the pollies to throw a carrot at the crowds with the turning of the boats and the carbon tax hoax, chuck in some more terrrist paranoia, now all is good.
    Nobody cares anymore(even here on the forum) about the budget blowout, now even worse than under Labor(which is too dumb for words anyhow).

Anyhow, when the gutting of low income families kicks in (I don't think much has changed in that respect since Hockeys first budget, quietly swept under the carpet), then the gov will probably have 10-12 Billion more per year. There you go, all yours Telstra
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-12-15 at 03:06 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

The more I hear the word BUDJET mentioned I think its some magical event utilising lots of smoke, mirrors and rhetoric that contains very few if any grains of reality or truth.

I must say I was a bit surprised that this 'Fix it to perfection before selling at a Loss' wasnt fully utilised during the recent 'leasing' of the 'Wires and Poles' in NSW but I am sure those leasing this wont come out loosing on the deal......only the poor silly voter is allowed to do that.

Premium Member

Thanks

Working myself up in a lather now

Thanks

I like Malcolm as a leader. But I hate what he and Tony Abbott did to the NBN!
    I think if Mal and the current knob at the NBN controls actually came clean, and said, "folks, we made a mistake" and then reverted back to the FTTP model most people would respect that.
    Let's face it Labor hasn't got a snow ball's chance in hell of winning the next election while Bill Shorten is the leader (BLOODY WAKE UP LABOR!!) so the slight hit to the votes wouldn't even matter.

• Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast