Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I tend to agree with your thoughts but dont dismiss the Labor party just yet even though as you say they are not 'Flavour of the Month' and would have to cheat to win a 'Paul Hogan Chook Raffle' because the Liberals (not the coalition) possibly may loose the election themselves if they cant sort out some serious cracks that are beginning to appear.
    Malcolm Turnball I think could win the position of PM if it was a voter option but does he have the ability to hold the party together over the next months before the next General Election??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (09-12-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TZB View Post
    I like Malcolm as a leader. But I hate what he and Tony Abbott did to the NBN!
    I think if Mal and the current knob at the NBN controls actually came clean, and said, "folks, we made a mistake" and then reverted back to the FTTP model most people would respect that.
    Let's face it Labor hasn't got a snow ball's chance in hell of winning the next election while Bill Shorten is the leader (BLOODY WAKE UP LABOR!!) so the slight hit to the votes wouldn't even matter.
    I find all this FTTP and FTTN arguing laughable. It really doesn't matter if either won't be completed to any satisfaction. Rudd/Gillard/Rudd had 7 years or so with Conroy continually insisting publicly (i.e. lying) that all was going well. Instead we found that less than 1% (or maybe a bit over) of the work was done and NBN Corp was also lying through its teeth. Now with Abbott/Turnbull insisting publicly (i.e. lying) that we are on track, how much of the mythical internet rocket has been actually finalised? F*ck all probably.

FTTP or FTTN or PITS (Pie In The Sky) is still a politically inspired game of pingpong and means SFA to most Australians in my view. They are too busy trying to feed the family than watch Netflix in 4K.

I am on the end of a long ADSL2+ line from an exchange. I have a fibreoptic cable on the pole less that 30m from my house. Yet no NBN (not that I personally really care) until at least 2017 if ever. Why? Because the ACT always votes ALP, thats why. The ALP see no political advantage in hooking vast areas of the national capital up because we vote for them anyway. The Coalition see no point in promising to hook us up because we vote ALP anyway. The local ACT government (to their credit) have mandated that all new suburbs be connected, so thats a plus for them.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

mandc (08-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I'm with you enf, as our Canberra resident representative I nominate you from all our active members to take direct action, pm your address and i will arrange an AK47 to be forwarded to you and all you have to do is discharge it in that house on top of the hill so a new parliament can be elected and the NBN problem solved
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

If Labour won the last election I would have real NBN now we were next on the list
    Libs won and 3 years later there isnt even a glimpse of fraudband on the horizon.
    I imagine when we do finally get fraudband it will take another Labor government to rip up the copper and do it properly
    Libs will no doubt whinge about how much its costing

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

What are you trying to do, allover?? Get us all arrested as terrorists?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I'm with you enf, as our Canberra resident representative I nominate you from all our active members to take direct action, pm your address and i will arrange an AK47 to be forwarded to you and all you have to do is discharge it in that house on top of the hill so a new parliament can be elected and the NBN problem solved
    Whilst I feel that your suggestion has a certain attraction, the short term satisfaction would not last. I'm sure that you've seen the large pyramid shaped framework holding the flag above parliament house? That is in fact just the framework for an emergency funnel should all our current politicians suddenly disappear. It would get flipped on its end and a new batch of political staffers, union hacks, uni educated fools with no life experience, and ambitious lawyers would instantly be channeled into the crossbenches and a fresh era of gross incompetence would begin anew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dishtrackted View Post
    If Labour won the last election I would have real NBN now we were next on the list
    Libs won and 3 years later there isnt even a glimpse of fraudband on the horizon.
    I imagine when we do finally get fraudband it will take another Labor government to rip up the copper and do it properly
    Libs will no doubt whinge about how much its costing
    And I sympathise. I am sure that the NBN would have transformed your life, and we would now have, what?, 1.1% of the work done. When the ALP next gets in, they will realise that the financial cupboard is bare, that the society we have set up is unsustainable in its current form and that unless there is some political advantage to be gained, Netflix in 4K will have to wait and the money spent on more vital parts of the social structure.

Now, are the Coalition doing the right thing in all of this? Of course not. They are playing the same political game that their predecessors did, even to the point of knifing their elected prime ministers. They have a bit to do to catch the ALP in that regard to be sure, but they are trying.

Your best bet for the NBN is to give 16 and 17 year olds the vote. With their union base largely disappearing, the ALP will gain new non productive, non taxpaying supporters. That way the priorities can be shifted to providing instant satisfaction to the generation of bog ignorant, iPhone addicted, virtual world living electro zombies that we are currently raising. I'm sure you will be pleased.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

spook (09-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

There must be people avoiding this post like the plague , just wished the original post was not closed as it would be interesting to include the quotes made in the past

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    To summarise: Hey, Telstra, your network is falling apart. Let us fix it for you, for free. No wait, we want to pay you $40 billion for letting us fix it. If this debacle doesn't have Telstra shareholders skipping and dancing all the way to the bank I don't know what would.
    Well it seems that Telstra has won the contract to fix and upgrade the network to make it suitable for use. What a gig. First run your network into the ground, then sell it off for a tidy profit, and finally get paid to do the maintenance you should have done when you owned it.

To summarise: Hey, Telstra, your network is falling apart. Let us fix it for you, for free. No wait, we want to pay you $40 billion for letting us fix it. No wait, how about we let you fix it and charge us what you like but just in case you don't believe us, here's a contract where we've agreed upfront to pay you what ever you want, plus you get to keep the $40 billion we gave you before!

If this debacle doesn't have Telstra shareholders skipping and dancing all the way to the bank I don't know what would.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

allover (22-12-15)

Thanks

Howard privatising Telstra as part of his ideological zeal is the real reason we have an expensive and third world copper based NBN
    That the tax payer has to pay for.
    Telstra would have built the proper NBN from profits if it was left as a public company.
    The privatisation of Telstra’s wholesale business was clearly a mistake.
    If its wholesale business had continued as government-owned there would be no need for NBN and replacement of copper with fibre would have been progressively undertaken, as has happened in the rest of the world by an established incumbent operator with substantial advantages in resourcing, access and intellectual property.
    NBN illustrates the risks of privatising natural monopolies.’
    Last edited by Dishtrackted; 22-12-15 at 08:20 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dishtrackted For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (22-12-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I worked for Telstra during the early part of the privatisation. There were things that needed to change, back then, and they did fix them with the threat of privatisation. Of course they were sold off, anyway, and, with any private enterprise, they only chase the paying proposition. which means that, outside of the eastern seaboard, we get 2 fifths of 5 eights of sweet stuff all. The government, after splitting telstra and australia post, only sold off telstra, strangely (wry grin) enough, telstra was the part that made the money back then.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

WOW, if you needed proof that the liberals are worse than labor, and they are both bad, here it is, the independent analysis cost of FTTN by the current prime minister compared to the Unionist minister's FTTP
    To all who said FTTP was bad and FTTN better, eat cake! (not that i took it personally)

Thanks

It what might be tacit admission that FTTN isn't going to make the grade, nbn is shopping around to purchase 'a lot' of micronodes for a FTTdp style rollout. That may be an indicator that FTTN is out or it may be that there is going to be a heck of a lot of fill-ins given the layout of and generally poor state of Telstra's copper network.

Either way, the price of Mal's MTM looks set to ratchet up yet again.

Thanks

The ABC is gagging Journos to not upset Turnball
    Pretty sad that the national broadcaster is so scared of Liberal party cuts its editing its coverage of bad news.

Former ABC journalist claims the public broadcaster gagged him to not to upset Malcolm Turnbull
    Nick Ross left the public broadcaster, which is funded and owned by the government, this week vowing to speak out about how senior management enforced a blackout on the issue.

When asked on Twitter yesterday if he was “gagged”, Ross replied “yes”.

“In early March 2013 I was told by a senior ABC manager that ABC management was expecting the Liberals to win the next election and that Malcolm Turnbull would be in charge of the ABC and that they didn’t want to upset him,” he wrote.
    “I was told that ‘there was nothing wrong with the article per se’ but that ‘the NBN was dead and so there’s no point in causing a fuss’,” he wrote.

Thanks

"“The only ‘restrictions’ on the issues the ABC covers and the way we cover them are our Editorial Policies, which set standards for things like accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing. All of our journalism is required to adhere to these standards at all times,” the statement said." My emphasis.

Unless it is likely to upset the incumbent Government.

I, for one, don't want journalism. I want honest reporting of the facts - not holding my breath though.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Premium Member

Thanks

Despite all other theorys about bias etc, a good Journalist never lets the Facts get in the way of a Good Story.

Despite the misspelling/pronunciation of names, not knowing where places are, like saying Melbourne, Near Sydney, over stating any details like saying its almost 10 when its only 2 eggs cracked.
    Like the 'Shock Jocks' on Talk Back radio, Good News is no news to a Journalist.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (18-01-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Despite all other theorys about bias etc, a good Journalist never lets the Facts get in the way of a Good Story.
    Too right. For several days the news blared out to all and sundry that Queensland was in the grip of a huge heatwave, with dire temperatures being reported and everyone being advised of the health effects and the risk of death to the vulnerable.

Except that the 'heatwave' temperatures being declared dangerous in most parts of Queensland weren't any different from normal Queensland summer temperatures.

Facts! Pfft, who needs 'em.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

enf (18-01-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

I posted some where here on Austech prior to Malcolm's meteoric rise to power that the ABC was going soft on Mal, eg Q & A and 7.30 report that the ABC was asking Mal, Dorothy Dixers, not mentioning how he has screwed up the NBN, and in my opinion promoting his cause
    Now some people here were accusing the ABC of being a commie left wing labor biased organization, but i think the ABC know which side their bread is buttered and will reap the reward

Thanks

Lsemmens is right about a fraction of nothing. Tree took out the phone line to the last part of our rural street. Four customers affected. They left the phone line laying across the road for four days with traffic going over it, they reconnected it. Oh and strangely enough the speed has now dropped by 25% so it's now next to useless. I have no choice of provider, pay top dollar, get very poor service and no nbn on the cards. Sorry, end of rant!

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crash486 View Post
    Lsemmens is right about a fraction of nothing. Tree took out the phone line to the last part of our rural street. Four customers affected. They left the phone line laying across the road for four days with traffic going over it, they reconnected it. Oh and strangely enough the speed has now dropped by 25% so it's now next to useless. I have no choice of provider, pay top dollar, get very poor service and no nbn on the cards. Sorry, end of rant!
    Not so strange really, when the tree brought down the lines and with it being run over for several days has stretched the line so your now over the minimum distance from the exchange for it to work efficiently hence the speed loss.
    This is a perfectly rational explanation that becomes clearer after imbibing sufficient fluids of the 'Fall Down' kind.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (18-01-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I posted some where here on Austech prior to Malcolm's meteoric rise to power that the ABC was going soft on Mal, eg Q & A and 7.30 report that the ABC was asking Mal, Dorothy Dixers, not mentioning how he has screwed up the NBN, and in my opinion promoting his cause
    Now some people here were accusing the ABC of being a commie left wing labor biased organization, but i think the ABC know which side their bread is buttered and will reap the reward
    The ABC is dictated to by its management. That management has now changed as has the head of the news department I believe. The ABC NOW knows who supplies its bread and butter. This will be to the benefit of whoever is in power I believe.

I was and still am a vehement critic of the ABC. I will wait for a larger sample size on its new direction, if there is one, but it doesn't bode well whatever the case.

• Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast