Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I saw my first 'NODE' cabinet on the TV News last night and I did think it would be much bigger from previous comments.
    Of course the Local Federal Member was there extolling the virtues of the FTTN even though he wont be standing for the next election, he cant resist a photo shoot.
    I noticed there was a pretty Green cased cable protruding from the conduit in the ground which I took is the Optic Fibre but how do they connect from there to the homes as I couldnt see another cable there?
    Of course there was the comment on just how fast it would be and 'Could load and play 5 HD movies seamlessy' at once' at the Node, but 'that would depend on the condition of the Copper Line and distance from the Node to the Home what speed a customer could get'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I noticed there was a pretty Green cased cable protruding from the conduit in the ground which I took is the Optic Fibre but how do they connect from there to the homes as I couldnt see another cable there?
    The Node will be fairly close to a Telstra Pillar - the wiring is disconnected from the pillar and connected to the node.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

From the camera angle I couldnt see a pillar but that doesnt mean a thing.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Perhaps there's a pit instead of a pillar.

My area has both pillars and pits.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

A pit is usually the last point before a customer's premises. A Pillar usually distributes the cables to the pits. The Cabinet usually distributes to the Pillars. However, the technology has changed so much that the Pillar is rapidly becoming redundant.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator

Thanks

From the camera angle I couldnt see a pillar but that doesnt mean a thing.
    It could even be around the corner in the next street or maybe 50 meters away, but there will be one close by.
    They are taller than the usual ones and have handles on each side.

Administrator

Thanks

The copper connection:

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (06-03-16),SpankedHam (10-03-16)

Thanks

I saw my first 'NODE' cabinet on the TV News last night and I did think it would be much bigger from previous comments.
    Of course the Local Federal Member was there extolling the virtues of the FTTN even though he wont be standing for the next election, he cant resist a photo shoot.
    Of course there was the comment on just how fast it would be and 'Could load and play 5 HD movies seamlessy' at once' at the Node, but 'that would depend on the condition of the Copper Line and distance from the Node to the Home what speed a customer could get'.
    The cabinets being originally referred to were what was deployed overseas. The 'Australian' system is much more compact but can consist of two adjacent cabinets (actually abutting), one for the VDSL equipment and one for the power supply.

Of course the smaller size means a more difficult job of cooling but nothing that hasn't already been done successfully. This didn't stop the wags from claiming the node cabinets would be extremely loud, prone to thermal throttling and probably responsible for the dog eating your homework too. Now that there are a few nodes out in the field all the predicted heat issues, as expected, have proven to be complete bullsh*t.

Where people should be concerned is the reuse of the 'last mile' of copper wire. Not only is in such a varied state as to give widely varying line sync rates between adjacent properties, it is still the crappy failing copper wire that 'goes to hell' when ever it rains. There have already been posts on other forums where the recent rains in QLD have essentially rendered some people's FTTN NBN service unusable. At least the 'CTs' will be happy as they'll have a job 'repairing' FTTN for a few decades to come.

The there is the subject of speed. Putting the line sync rate issue aside the nodes are being deployed, still, at present, with only a maximum of 2Gb/sec of capacity to the 'exchange'. Regardless of how Turnbull tries to spin it (currently he blames it on the end user) sooner or later that very limited connectivity is going to bite and everyone on a given node is going to have severe speed problems regardless of RSP chosen.

Thanks

At last we finally have a definition of what a fault is on Mal's Technological Mess but you won't find it in any officially released to the public document. Instead we have to rely on leaked files. How's that 'more open and more transparent' working out?

So what is a fault?

Putting aside gross faults such as no line sync at all, your shiney new, err, sorry, your crappy old telephone line with VDSL2 slapped on it will only be considered to be 'faulty' if it can't achieve 25/5 sync rates or drops out more than 5 times a day. If your 100/40 tier ( a rip off in itself!) service that used to get 85/38 (see, there's the rip off) suddenly plummets to 27/6 sync, there's nothing wrong and no fault will be accepted by nbn. If it drops out up to 5 times a day, all you'll be told to do is to select a more conservative speed tier (line profile).

So there you have it. Feel screwed yet? Does this feel like 56 billion dollars well spent? Where's that that neo-con outrage that is expressed when ever Labor is 'wasteful' and why isn't it being poured all over the Libs right now?
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 10-03-16 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    The copper connection:

An example of what an nbn FTTN node doesn't look like.

Administrator

Thanks

Maybe but it gives you an idea on how the copper is connected.

But just to keep you happy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    But just to keep you happy.
    You've read my posts on the forum. Do you really think that's going to make me happy?!

Thanks

If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

levend (17-03-16),Uncle Fester (16-03-16)

Thanks

BANG!

What the hell was that?! Well might you ask.

That was the rather large bubble of lies the Libs have been issuing on FTTP for years not just bursting, but exploding.

Into little pieces.

Yet more leaked documents appear to indicate that not only has the board of nbn been actively suppressing the release of FTTdp (putting micronodes in the pits outside houses) which yields far superior results to FTTN, not only has the board of nbn been actively suppressing the release of improved FTTP technologies they've been actively suppressing the actual costs of FTTP.

So what are the costs?

At present Approx $2500 for a premises that has either blocked conduit or direct buried copper, ie requires trenching and installation of new conduit. Approx 10% of premises fall into this category. Now for the good part. Costs are approx $1000 for the other 90% of premises. Yes, you read that right $1000.*

$1000 for most premises. $1000.

One f*cking thousand dollars. Yet the Libs are still spinning a copper based solution for all they're worth simply because they can't admit that perhaps, just perhaps, Labor "got it right" in rolling out FTTP.

*These figures exclude the backbone etc which would be common across the deployment of FTTN / FTTdp / FTTP.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 16-03-16 at 04:26 PM.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

allover (16-03-16),Guiseppe (16-03-16),levend (17-03-16),shred (19-04-16),Uncle Fester (16-03-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Not being totally familiar with either technology, but I would suggest that the 2500 price point is realistic. The labour for installing an new trench and cable could well make it 1k, then you install the terminal equipment in each customer premises, time they organise access and the cost of individual deavices I can easily see another 1 or 2 thou in costs. With FTTdp/N the additional costs are reduced as access to customer premises is minimised and instead of installing, say, ten, terminals, only one ten port device is needed with attendant savings there. My guestimations are only based on experience based on labour content of other jobs.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Wow. The revelations keep coming. As you probably already know nbn bought Optus' cable network, then discovered that it was a heap of junk (that's what you get for buying without inspecting, buyer beware etc) but before that little debacle developed (hey, where's all the complaining about wasteful spending by the Libs?) it was commonly stated that Optus' cable network would serve '500,000' premises.

Except that they (the nbn board) knew it never would.

Yep, that's right. Yet another lie.

Yet more leaked documents show that the board of nbn under the Libs knew full well that due to the number of MDUs (flats, highrises etc) in the area covered by Optus' cable network was significant and these premises would be served by FTTB, not HFC ie that '500,000' and the 'lower than FTTP' cost projections based thereon were a complete fabrication.

I guess this is another example of Turnbull's "We'll do it more honestly" (and yes, he actually used those very same words).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Wow. The revelations keep coming. As you probably already know nbn bought Optus' cable network, then discovered that it was a heap of junk (that's what you get for buying without inspecting, buyer beware etc) but before that little debacle developed (hey, where's all the complaining about wasteful spending by the Libs?) it was commonly stated that Optus' cable network would serve '500,000' premises.

Except that they (the nbn board) knew it never would.

Yep, that's right. Yet another lie.

Yet more leaked documents show that the board of nbn under the Libs knew full well that due to the number of MDUs (flats, highrises etc) in the area covered by Optus' cable network was significant and these premises would be served by FTTB, not HFC ie that '500,000' and the 'lower than FTTP' cost projections based thereon were a complete fabrication.

I guess this is another example of Turnbull's "We'll do it more honestly" (and yes, he actually used those very same words).
    You'll get in trouble with the pro libs here but in all honesty when have you ever met an honest politician ?
    On a side note iprimus whom i'm with offered me 79 unlimited plan which includes phone and unlimited calls and said the nbn once connected will be the same no change whatsoever. They also said i'll have no choice but to go on it is that right? Cause from what i hear nbn isn't worth it for what i use the net for anyway.

Thanks

News just in

Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by levend View Post
    Cause from what i hear nbn isn't worth it for what i use the net for anyway.
    Well I've had it for 3 months now.....
    The only difference between the NBN and my old ADSL2+ is download speed and that's if the server at the other end is capable.

The only thing that has changed for me is the time it takes to download a file, do windows updates etc;
    Everything else is pretty much the same, I can't notice anything different, the hoo haa about lightning fast reliable broadband is a myth as far as I'm concerned, to me anyway.

Unless I'm downloading a file I can't notice anything different and I wouldn't recommend changing to the NBN unless your ADSL is painfully slow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (17-03-16),levend (24-03-16)

Thanks

Myth for you, perhaps, but for me, where my 'phone line struggled to go three months towards the end with out failing and Telstra never actually did anything that resulted in a fix that could be considered an actual fix, ever; where my download speeds were truly miserable, it was no myth.

• Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast