Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

WhiteOx,

You're correct, it depends on what the user does with their connection, whether they notice changes in 'perceived' speed between ADSL2+ and NBN (also dependent on NBN delivery method).

Your speed test certainly indicates a huge speed increase above typical ADSL2+ maximum speeds.... especially upload, but if you don't upload large files, you probably wouldn't notice.

Likewise, as you say, if you are downloading and the location server isn't capable of the higher speed, then that too would not be noticeable.

With any high-speed network..... you are limited to the slowest link in the chain.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

My ideas on the NBN

1. Both sides are lying through their teeth so getting anything like a clear picture is impossible.
    2. FTTP was far superior but way too costly and way way too slow to implement.
    3. FTTN is cheaper but a poor second rate answer and way too slow to implement.
    4. Australia needs but can't afford an Australia-wide NBN..especially the totally inept way both sides have handled it.
    Expecting everyone to be able to access NBN is a great idea but totally cost prohibitive.
    5. Any costing that is out now will blow out about 5x more.
    Last edited by mandc; 17-03-16 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks

It's time for the spin cycle ... again.

Today Morrow has announced that, and you'll just love this, "Telstra's copper is in better condition than we though" and "we're on budget when it comes to remediation".

Wow.

I guess that would explain why the remediation budget went from $64.6 million to $640 million.

What Morrow isn't saying is that nbn has judged Telstra's copper network to be in better condition, by chopping off all but the closest 40 metres or so (the leadin) which is typically a continuous run of sheathed cable so it's little wonder that this part is in generally good condition. The rest of the 'last mile' that FTTdP cuts off? The part that caused the remediation budget to blow out by at least a factor of 10? Let's not mention that little detail...

I'm sure that in time when nbn has whittled the copper network to be re-used down to say 5 metres it will be proudly announced that Telstra's copper network is in best of class world leading condition worth every cent of the 11 billion (up front) plus all the hidden billions in 'maintenance' contracts that have been pretty much guaranteed to Telstra should it want them.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 17-03-16 at 04:45 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

What few people seem to know (or want to know) is that Telstra (not the Labor Party) was responsible for long delays back then when FTTP/H was
    still being installed.
    My NBN installation was a year delayed and every time I asked (a foreman, an engineer and some other workers) I got the same answer: Telstra bureaucrats are holding things back.
    I am beginning to think that Telstra knew all along that they can lobby the coalition and milk the system so the less completed FTTH installs the better for them, hence the year long delays.
    ...and of course everybody knew back then that the Libs would win and blame the delays on the shocking Labor Party that came up with the ridiculous idea to create a data network that meets worldwide standards and would eventually pay itself off.

It is really funny that the sheeple still believe that politicians install data networks and even insulation batts.
    Unfortunately there will always be crooks who want make big profits with no respect for damage or loss of others but those who came up with the idea always get the blame.
    It is probably best we all move back in caves.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-03-16 at 08:47 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Was as deal made with Telstra and the Coalition, prior to the last election, that Telstra would buy the network at a hugely discounted price and complete it?
    Had read an article implying this but cannot/ don't know where to find the reference
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Late April Fools joke?

According to Fifield, the minister for communications, the Turnbull's Multi-Technology-Mix fibre replacement is being delivered on time and on budget.

I guess that would explain why the calendar reads 2nd quarter 2016 yet, contrary to previously announcements by Turnbull, 90% of households do not have access to 'at least 25Mbit/sec broadband'. It would also explain why the pre-election 'not a cent more' 20.9 billion dollar MTM budget now weighs in at a portly 56 billion dollars.

Premium Member

Thanks

Even the commercial; stations are revolting, sorta

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

This is fairly old news, but I had a preview of this new G.Fast technology recently and IMHO, it's an excellent compromise between FTTP and far superior, cheaper and faster, both in data speed and in particular, installation, to FTTN.

Basically how it works is a very small interconnect device is installed in existing (or if necessary, new) pits outside premises, and fed by fibre to the pit and using the existing customer's copper lead in.

Power to the device is fed from the customer premises through the lead in.

Like FTTN, signals are over copper, but, only a much shorter length from the pit to the premises, not from an expensive unnecessary node (cabinet) and long runs of copper street cabling.

Data speeds are equal to FTTP.

I'm tipping this technology will end up being the preferred method of NBN delivery.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (19-04-16)

Thanks

... and just in case anyone doubted it, Telstra gets another bucket of money to fix, maintain and extend the network it ran into the ground.

Telstra wanted $30 billion for it's copper networks, and the Libs are determined to give it to them. One way or another.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 12-04-16 at 07:21 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    ... and just in case anyone doubted it, Telstra gets another bucket of money to fix, maintain and extend the network it ran into the ground.

Telstra wanted $30 billion for it's copper networks, and the Libs are determined to give it to them. One way or another.
    Pay off for stalling the NBN under Labor?

Thanks

Cost blow out? Nope, it's all on budget. Which certainly explains why it has now been revealed that nbn's spend on new copper wire has blown right through the original $14 million dollar figure allocated to copper purchase to $44 million and is well on its way to spending more on copper than it originally put on the entire Telstra network remediation program for FTTN (which itself has blown out by a factor of 10, to date).

FTTN. Cheaper. Nope. Faster. Nope. More quickly. Nope.

Farce. Yep.

Thanks

How long does it take to get nbn once they placed the cable through your street?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

This will depend on where you are on the list for the 'Roll Out' so you need to check the NBNco site and put in your address and see what it says.
    Just because there is now cable laid in your area doesnt mean its for you as I have an Optic Fibre cable strung along the power lines 200 metres away that is a 'Back Bone' between one town and the main cable route and going past me was the shortest route.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by levend View Post
    How long does it take to get nbn once they placed the cable through your street?
    It can be anywhere up to 12 months for FTTN despite nbn and the Libs stating 6 months once construction has commenced. Laughably, at least when it comes to the "cheaper faster and more quickly" mantra, FTTP areas have been going 'ready for service' in a shorter time than FTTN areas have been of late.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    It can be anywhere up to 12 months for FTTN despite nbn and the Libs stating 6 months once construction has commenced. Laughably, at least when it comes to the "cheaper faster and more quickly" mantra, FTTP areas have been going 'ready for service' in a shorter time than FTTN areas have been of late.
    That's what the philipino doing the work said about 6 months. The thing is that it is the second time they have put new nbn cables. One was last year but they said it was only for new estates that went up.
    To the guy above your post i punch in the address and keeps coming up that no work has commenced in your area so i wonder how reliable that info is. Iprimus rang me a month ago and offered me unlimited internet as i was on 300 gb which i accepted and she said that the nbn has started in your area and the plan i'm on will remain the same once its connected.
    So it's hard to gauge anything when you get conflicting info.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

To the guy above your post i punch in the address and keeps coming up that no work has commenced in your area so i wonder how reliable that info is.
    Try here:

It should show you an approx Ready For Service (RFS) date.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

levend (20-04-16),ol' boy (20-04-16),william10 (20-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Try here:

Great site! Thanks
    I have work starting in 1 month, to be completed by the 16th-Nov-2016.
    Yet i will never leave the Mobile Data network, i find it hard to take my NBN ADSL with me when i drive

Amazingly, my partner whom lives in a town of 35,000 people on the Princesses Hwy, doesn't even have any future NBN work scheduled, at all.
    Yet i have been watching the Contractors Vans installing an Orange Fibre cable in the street in question, only 2 days ago!
    Go Figure.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 20-04-16 at 09:36 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Try here:

This is what i got doesn't tell me much.

Administrator

Thanks

This is what i got doesn't tell me much.
    Looks like you still have some time to wait.
    First Build in next 3yrs* Q3 2016
    First RFS in next 3yrs* Q1 2017

Last Build in next 3yrs* H1 2017
    Last RFS in next 3yrs* H1 2018

* Forward looking dates are provided by nbn™ and may be subject to change or delays beyond their control

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

levend (20-04-16)

Administrator

Thanks

Unfortunatley your point of interconnect isn't even listed on the current rollout schedule (April 14th 2016).

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

levend (20-04-16)

• Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast