Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

When I checked my location a few weeks ago it said I was in a 'Wireless' area but not the NBNco wireless !!!

On further checking and ringing Telstra and the NBNco, I found out that I am in fact in the area covered by the SkyMuster Satellite service.
    I 'Googled' for a list of 'Retail NBN ISP's and out of some 20 shown, I found there are only THREE ISP's offering to connect Satellite customers.
    I choose one at Random after seeing an article on them on a TV News report and they confirmed my area was to be serviced by the SkyMuster satellite and this had only happened since the beginning of March.
    I was also told that although this Company is and has been an ISP for both Satellite (ABG) and Terrestrial (ADSL) for some time, they had no prior advise of what areas were to be covered by the SkyMuster service until they were notified by the NBNco.
    Even now there is no definite date given for the installation to commence for those interested in the new service as yet.

It seems the NBNco work on the 'we will tell you when we are ready' principle.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-04-16 at 05:09 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

FTTN = "F*cking Turnbulls Trash Network."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dglover For This Useful Post:

Dishtrackted (23-05-16),fred121 (15-06-16),levend (28-05-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Why did Malcolm do this, was it pay back for Murdoch's support of the Liberals?. If it was, he, (Tony & Mal) put Australians second to them selves. I am sure that there may have been alternatives to the existing structure that could have been implemented

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

At the same time the UK has announced a major fibre to the premises rollout, the Libs have decided to lie yet again about nbn to try to win votes.

Apparently Labor 'wasted 40 billion dollars' on nbn, which is curious because to date the entire nbn spend hasn't yet exceeded the Lib's 29.5 billion dollar contribution cap. I wonder why the Libs never seem to mention that their MTM was "fully costed, not a cent more" at $20.4 billion pre-election but is now projected to blow right through 56 billion but are quite prepared to lie every step of the way about nbn's performance under Labor. Oh silly me, nothing to wonder about at all. Its all part n parcel of the Liberal Way.

More Hockey-"eleventy billion"-nomics? "It jus dun add up boss!"

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

fred121 (15-06-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Why did Malcolm do this, was it pay back for Murdoch's support of the Liberals?. If it was, he, (Tony & Mal) put Australians second to them selves. I am sure that there may have been alternatives to the existing structure that could have been implemented

Thanks for the linkage allover, now I'm even more depressed what with severe earache from listening to all the lies being peddled by TurdBull & Co

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Thanks for the linkage allover, now I'm even more depressed what with severe earache from listening to all the lies being peddled by TurdBull & Co
    If that made you depressed, this will make you suicidal

Thanks

If you didn't know any better you might think there was an election in the air! As we all know, the Lib's MTM is quicker to rollout than FTTP, which is why FTTP areas get one work crew slowly making their way through the area while MTM areas get multiple crews working in parallel (but still can't seem to get MTM rolling out 'more quickly'!) but now it seems in order to ensure that MTM rolls out more quickly (but still isn't) MTM crews are working Saturdays and Sundays too.

Imagine just how quickly FTTP would have rolled out if the sheer man-power that is being thrown at MTM was thrown at it.

Thanks

Its on par with bulldozing part of the snowy mountain scheme.
    Treacherous and nasty not in Australias interests.
    He should be embarrassed to say the word innovation

Premium Member

Thanks

Premium Member

Thanks

Since my last posting I have now gone onto the SkyMuster satellite and so far its doing as promised in relation to its ability to provide as good a connection as those available Terrestrially.
    However during the install, I asked the Tech who is 'local' what he had heard relating to the wireless service in the next town (2000 population) that went through all the notifications regarding its installation some 18 months ago (massively opposed) but hasnt gone any further as yet.
    His reply was he had no real information regarding it but thought it was possibly not going ahead and although most of the town now has ADSL available, it was a possibility those currently there could be connected to the Satellite instead but that was only after areas like mine that have NO current service now (they dont count Wireless Broadband) would be done first.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

fred121 (15-06-16)

Thanks

The tech community has raised many concerns over the Lib's FTTN rollout and over time one by one those concerns have proven to be valid. So here's another one to tick off. Flooding. Just how much water does it take to knock a node off line, requiring a technician to attend before it can be 'turned back on'?

Not much. Not much at all. In fact, it appears that nbn's FTTN cabinets are far far more vulnerable to water entry than Telstra's various cabinets.

Bear in mind that a FTTP FDH cabinet with the same amount of water through it wouldn't even blink.

Thanks

But enough of that. Let's get back to some more lie, err truths about FTTP. Some of you may recall the $78 billion dollar FTTP costings being waived around by the Libs after their review of FTTP. Well think again. It turns out that on close inspection, once the documents were finally obtained, that the $78 billion dollar figure wasn't just for FTTP. It was the part of the FTTP network that had been built plus the full cost of cancelling the FTTP rollout and building the Lib's MTM plus the cost of then ripping out MTM and completing the original FTTP plans.

I think there is one thing that can be drawn from everything to date, that is pretty darned hard to dispute: The Libs are a bunch of lying sacks of shit.

Premium Member

Thanks

I never thought of flooding in regards to those FTTN cabinets but from what caught my eye on the one I saw of one on a TV News report was what a low profile they had and I wondered how vulnerable they were to vehicular damage.
    The one the report showed it was being installed on the median strip near the curb rather than back near property line.

Premium Member

Thanks

Setting the boxes in low areas still does not beat the one where the libs committed them selves to the NBN cabinets but forgot they needed a permanent electricity supply, doubled the price of each cabinet= cost savings goodbye

Thanks

There have been a few instances where a node has had to be 'dug out', cable run to a new location and the node reinstalled as the local electricity authority couldn't provide supply where it was previously located.

Come on chaps! Where's all the scorn that should be pouring onto the Libs for this wasteful expenditure? Oh yes, I forgot. It wasn't Labor therefore there is no need to whine about it.

Premium Member

Thanks

For a Government seeking re election on a platform of Fiscal responsibility, they somehow missed the Bus on this one because FTTN was chosen not for Technical reasons but Political ones (how can a Politician be wrong?).
    Allegedly cheaper even after clearly stating the Copper Network it was connecting to was 'Aging' and needed replacement?
    Faster installation than FTTH which it clearly is when it was poorly planned and little things like needing to supply and pay for Electricity to run each node completely missed which makes you wonder what other costs will emerge from this ill conceived project?

Thanks

Assuming they don't actually plan doom everyone on a given node to 5Mbit/sec during peak times as the port utilisation on the node increases, there are going to have to be a lot of 10Gb ethernet cards installed and that isn't going to be cheap. A half decent (not top end end by any means) 10Gb card for a PC is going to set you back $500. When it comes to custom cards, such as that which would be deployed in the node, you can easily multiply that figure by 10. To prevent congestion within the nbn operation itself thousands if not tens of thousands of 10Gb interfaces are going to have to be purchased (and all the 1Gb interfaces essentially thrown away). I'm sure that even a Liberal party politician applying 'Hockey-nomics' can work out that there's at least another 50 million in hardware in the nodes, let alone the 'exchange' end, to keep everything working acceptably.

Of course, as has been demonstrated nicely by the rollout of MTM to date, keeping things running nicely is not a priority at all so it is quite likely people are going to be doomed to 5Mbit/sec during peak times.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

fred121 (30-06-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

I'm still shaking my head as to why shorty & co didn't hammer the lying libs re effectively destroying the NBN, this fiasco will end costing tens of billions to fix and TurdBull should be facing a royal commission / corruption charges for what they did

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    I'm still shaking my head as to why shorty & co didn't hammer the lying libs re effectively destroying the NBN, this fiasco will end costing tens of billions to fix and TurdBull should be facing a royal commission / corruption charges for what they did
    Maybe should have a royal commision into the voters that buy the crap this politicians get away with. Ohh well my nbn should be around in another 20 years.

• Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast