Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Thanks

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. The libs under Howard were stuffing about trying to get a deal with Telstra to build something & make heaps of profit for Telstra. They stuffed around for several years without actually DOING anything. Labor proposed the NBN with FTTH and won an election mostly on the back of it. The Abbott started in with his NO to everything and tore up all the plans to do it "better and cheaper". Remember it was Turnbull who stated that we didn't need any form of fixed line (fibre or copper), as wireless could do it all. So now we have part of a network which will last for at least as long as anyone can forsee (FTTH), and a lot more which will have to be almost completely replaced before it is "completed".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. The libs under Howard were stuffing about trying to get a deal with Telstra to build something & make heaps of profit for Telstra. They stuffed around for several years without actually DOING anything. Labor proposed the NBN with FTTH and won an election mostly on the back of it. The Abbott started in with his NO to everything and tore up all the plans to do it "better and cheaper". Remember it was Turnbull who stated that we didn't need any form of fixed line (fibre or copper), as wireless could do it all. So now we have part of a network which will last for at least as long as anyone can forsee (FTTH), and a lot more which will have to be almost completely replaced before it is "completed".
    In fairness to Turnbull he was pushing hard for the libs to pass the bill when labor was in as he believed it was the right way to go. Before the next election they made up all this lies about labors nbn and made all this promises.Once the libs got in he was ordered to find an alternative one which was made up of dribs and drabs and of course he had to sell it and still is selling it.

Thanks

No. Turnbull was against anything being done about fixed connections when he was the shadow minister for communications. He campaigned after Labor won the 2007 election that NOBODY needed a fixed cnnection to the home as EVERYONE was moving to wireless (read 4G) and that there WOULD BE plenty of bandwidth and capacity. It was only after Rudd government dropped the proposal for private companies to build the network (paid for from the sale of the remainder of Telstra) and decided to build it themselves, that Turnbull finally came on board. It is quite probable that his support had more to do with his opposition to Abbott than any real desire to have a proper NBN.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

levend (26-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Labor proposed the NBN with FTTH and won an election mostly on the back of it.
    Hardly. For most people the NBN was not an issue that swayed them one way or another. Howard had passed his time and Rudd was seen as a 'fresh' change (Howard had to go, but Rudd turned out as no saviour). There were far more important issues that swayed them when they cast their vote. Even today, 7 years later, the majority of the population couldn't give two hoots about the NBN.

So now we have part of a network which will last for at least as long as anyone can forsee (FTTH), and a lot more which will have to be almost completely replaced before it is "completed".
    Which is likely exactly what the ALP would have ended up doing, had they stuck round. Stephen Conroy came out in 2013 after leaving Parliament and admitted FTTH NBN was too ambitious and was never going to be completed.

As I mentioned before, the NBN was a political stunt - by both parties - not a chance to actually 'future proof' the nation.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Looks like the best compromise is happening, with many future-planned areas to be FTTC (Fibre To The Curb) also known as FTTdp (Fibre To The Distribution Point) which is fibre all along the street and tapped off at the pit in front of homes, so that the only copper used is the existing lead in (which is easily replaced in most cases if necessary.

There are no cabinets required, like FTTN and the device in the pit can be powered from the home via the lead in.... very low power consumption.

Speeds equivalent to FTTP are being obtained with this system, which I had a look at before NBN Co adopted it.

This method is the fastest to install and offers considerable cost savings, whilst still providing good data rates.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

allover (28-02-17),alpha0ne (28-02-17),joezep (28-02-17),Mr 672A (06-03-17),tristen (28-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

mtv, this guy has stolen your line
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    FTTC the device in the pit can be powered from the home via the lead in.... very low power consumption.

Speeds equivalent to FTTP are being obtained with this system, which I had a look at before NBN Co adopted it.

This method is the fastest to install and offers considerable cost savings, whilst still providing good data rates.
    The guy I spoke to today from NBN Co told me about this FTTc and where they will use it in the future

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    The guy I spoke to today from NBN Co told me about this FTTc and where they will use it in the future
    Brooklyn, Coburg North, parts of Collingwood, Cremorne, Richmond, Caroline Springs, Derrimut and Williamstown in Melbourne, as well as Sydney's Alexandria, Botany, Denham Court, Erskineville, Horningsea Park, Hunters Hill, Mona Vale and Woronora Heights.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (07-03-17),tristen (06-03-17)

Thanks

We are too slow and too expensive and it will stifle " innovation" Turnbulls catch phrase

"Future Australian innovation and productivity gains are being held back by ineffective broadband policy based on high prices for mediocre speeds according to a report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)."

We are faster than Greece and Mexico....lol

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dishtrackted For This Useful Post:

joezep (08-03-17),levend (09-03-17),Mr 672A (08-03-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

Another upgrade, errr down grade on the NBN

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks

Premium Member

Thanks

So i have been bagging the nbn BUT here is some positive news and i hope you are one of the lucky ones to receive this connection

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

tristen (18-06-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    So i have been bagging the nbn BUT here is some positive news and i hope you are one of the lucky ones to receive this connection
    Yes, this is the delivery method I mentioned some months ago.

Put simply, it's fibre to the pit in front of your home and the only copper used is your existing lead-in from the pit.

If the lead-in is in good condition, speeds very close to those of fibre to the premises can be achieved.

It's actually a cheaper alternative than FTTN.

It's cheaper and much faster (installation time) than FTTP but realistically, if they are running fibre to the front of your house.... why not just do the full fibre install to the premises.

In most cases, using the existing lead-in as a draw wire to pull through a fibre is a very quick and simple job.

Yes, I know.... not all are that easy.

At the very least, FTTC is a much easier path to 'upgrade' to FTTP when it's eventually decided that's what Australia should have stayed with from the beginning.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (18-06-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'd just like FTTT!! (Fibre To The Town) According to NBN co, we have NBN available, but no providers will commit. I expect that it will be some form of Wireless Broadband and no fibre anywhere. I'm not holding my breath!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

This is becoming bigger than a joke and more like criminal activity turnball should be locked up and throw the key away.

My connection to the famous fttn is in a few days and all i have to read is this crap. Not to mention rsps cant even find my address even though nbnco knows it.

Premium Member

Thanks

Premium Member

Thanks

Premium Member

Thanks

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/79304-full-fibre-nbn-only-by-2030,-will-cost-$30b-more-expert.html

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

This seems a good place to drop this.... Thank god i don't have to deal with the NBN, what a Cluster F@#k

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (13-08-17),levend (12-08-17),mkhannah (12-08-17),william10 (12-08-17)

• Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast