Thread: Road speed limits in NSW (database)

Thanks

Default Road speed limits in NSW (database)

Hi All,

I am looking for some help to find the speed limits of NSW roads. I am led to believe the NSW Police use a database linked to their GPS & radar units when charging people for speeding (etc). Can anyone confirm this? Can I obtain a copy? Where do the likes of Garmin, Tom Tom get the information for their in car GPS units. I've searched my friend Google so far without success. Any ideas appreciated.
    Regards,
    Softek

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Good Luck with your search.
    I have found GPS based Speed Limit recommendations to be so inaccurate, i just stopped using them many years ago.
    I'd be surprised if the Mobile Police Radar Vehicles use such a system, but who knows.

The posted signs change monthly where i live, they could never be kept up to date.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Tiny (05-11-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

GPS data for Garmin, TomTom etc is predominately provided by users. TomTom mapshare is an example where users advise map changes/errors, including speed zones, so I doubt any law enforcement agency could rely on such data from those sources.

Do they have their own? Don't know.

Quite likely speed limits are manually entered into a device such as a radar/speed camera and GPS coordinates may be automatically added from a GPS device at the location of the speed recording device. Possibly not unlike a camera that records data of when a photo is taken... some have built-in GPS.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have a Aldi GoCruise GPS that shows the 'posted' road speed where you are at the time BUT, and its a BLOODY BIG BUT, those limits can and do change and I have yet to see any means of updating the device to cope with these changes.
    However, with the exception of Road Works long term or just daily, signs are usually displayed prominently to advise you of the CURRENT limit.
    Why would the Police need to have a current Data base of speed limits when all they need to do is drive to a selected spot on a KNOWN SPEED POSTED Road, set the devise to advise of someone traveling faster than the limit and trigger an alarm or just simply, read the incoming speed and if its greater than the posted limit, They BOOK YOU, Danno !!!!

One thing I have found with the GoCruise is its about 30 metres out compared to the speed sign, ie it will 'Speak' and change colour if I am driving at 110 Kph up to 30 metres BEFORE passing the sign to go from 110 to 100 KPH.

I never thought those cameras might record the GPS co ordinates but then the iGO 850 Crash Cam does so why not both Fixed and Mobile Speed cams for Legal reasons?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!