Thread: Windows 10 new buil 10586

Thanks

Default Windows 10 new buil 10586

Just to let everyone know there is a new updated build of windows 10 "10.0.10586 build 10586". Go to windows update and check, be warned it will take approximately one hour from download to install.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

Tiny (15-11-15)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Be warned some people are having issues with this update. Mine is in the middle of download now as the first automated attempt by Win Update failed.

The first major update to the desktop version of is slowly reaching out to users, but not everyone is having a smooth upgrade. On November 12th, Microsoft finally pushed the button to .
    The new version brings significant changes and a number of new features that are meant to fix and improve the operating system experience. Those who successfully upgraded will notice changes on the Start menu, and how now can handle missed call notifications and handwriting recognition to create reminders.
    The , such as the ability for users to install new apps on secondary or external drivers, new default printer manager, new personalization options, and the ability to configure a new feature to enable you to find your device if it ever gets lost.
    received much-needed performance and security improvements, and the operating system includes a number of fixes and changes under-the-hood that makes version 1511 a great upgrade.
    However, even though the changes are significant, not everyone is having the best upgrade experience, and many users have been reporting a number of issues and bugs during and after the upgrade. As such in today's article, we're going to go through some of the issues that are currently concerning customers and how you can avoid or fix a few of these issues.
    Problems include;
    installation failures,
    Settings & Apps changes,
    Driver Problems;

Another area where users seem to have problems is with graphics drivers. Many users, including myself, upgrading to Windows 10 version 1511 will continue to experience graphics driver crashes even though the latest drivers were installed.
    After the computer stops responding for a few seconds, the display will start to flick, and a toast notification will popup saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered." If this happened once in a while, it might not be a big deal, but when you rely upon your computer to be productive, it can get a little annoying to see the same issue three-to-five times a day.

Additional Windows 10 version 1511 concerns
    Then we have other isolated issues, such as:

• the installation of software, after sudden administrator privileges getting lost after the update.
    • In some cases, after update to Windows 10 Version 1511.
    • : "Starting with Windows 10 build 10586, enabling hardware encryption with BitLocker following a clean install is no longer possible. It is possible with the RTM build 10240 prior to the November update. The error on the newer build is 'Parameter is incorrect (code 0x80070057)'."
    read the source for more bugs & fixes @
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

joezep (27-11-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

All went ahead with the update, so far only a few minor settings to fix (some file associations changed to the W10 preferred app) & my sound driver settings needed resetting (at least this time it didn't change the driver to a the generic one that doesn't work with my sound card).

Time will tell as I haven't checked all externals yet, maybe tomorrow.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

, whether you want to or not!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (29-11-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yes I have a notification from the compatibility assistant that a program called "On/Off charger" has been removed from my PC because it doesn't work on this version of Windows!!

I wont worry as I don't use it anyway, I can't even remember where it came from or what it did. Actually just having said that reminded me that it actually came with the MOBO software & enables the USB ports to be used for charging when the OS is shut down/hibernating or asleep, without waking it, as long as power to the PSU is still connected.

It does get me curious as to why W10 couldn't run the program in compatibility mode (W98-W8.1) like it is supposed to be able to.
    Cheers, Tiny

LSemmens
    Thanks

Just in case you've missed it, you can by telling windoze that you are on a metered connection.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (29-11-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Secondary collateral damage by new W10 build update was that it reset all my network settings including file sharing & DLNA access, so had to fix my settings & log other computer back into network, reset DLNA file sharing settings to Access media from my Smart TV.

Lucky I have a time saving device, not!

Guess that is what happened to you lsemmens.
    Cheers, Tiny

LSemmens
    Thanks

It is still mucking around with my settings. Nothing that I have the time to track down, but nowhere near as stable as W7 was. Every now and then, my lappy forgets it can connect to the network, though internet still works, just can't see other machines. Get another machine to look at the network and suddenly lappy can see them all again. This morning, could not even see the 'net, it would see the modem (Wifi) but that was it. I even tried a warm boot of the modem from another machine but eventually had to cold boot the modem, just so I could get the lappy to do anything with it. Then I was unable to log onto wife's machine with the lappy, until I had logged onto my media server. There is no password protection within the network, so, if I can see a machine I should be able to see any shared folders. Stupid thing is I change nothing, if I try to access a folder using a shortcut, it falls over, if I then try to access the same folder by opening explorer, selecting network, then the computer followed by the shared folder, it all works, and suddenly the shortcut springs to life.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Hmmm....I too am using Windows 10 (W10 Pro 32 bit) and have had no problems whatsoever except for a slight hiccup after an update several months ago, which I rectified without fuss with a new VPN application.

There are no current problems whatsoever (updates are turned on and are up-to-date).

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Unless you have a strong internet connection it seems Windows 10 can not be recommended.
    From reading here and elsewhere the constant updates must be eating a fair bit of your internet allowance.
    I can not fathom why anybody can accept an operating system that regularly has to download gigabytes of data to fix the continuous bugs and security flaws.
    Also apart from being more efficient at spying on you, Windows 10 steals your bandwith to 'share' with others.
    Just in case you didn't know that, here is a fix:

...until the next update disables that again !?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-12-15 at 09:03 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

joezep (02-12-15)

Thanks

Touchwood I'm running windows 10 with no problems and updates turned on. Thanks for the tip nomeat but mine was already off. When I did the clean install anything Microsuck asked for sharing I declined.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

No issues here either with updates turned on.

The errors that are occurring are likely a minuscule percentage of all users - not too bad when one considers the massive take up of Win 10, coupled with the fact that it is used on almost unlimited hardware configurations.

Banned
    Thanks

Computer has downloaded the update twice and each time it fails at 76% during the install phase. Compltely locks the computer and have to turn off the power to regain control. Then it reverts to previous version win 10. Auto update turned off.