Thread: Teather iphone TO router for lan access

Thanks

Default Teather iphone TO router for lan access

I have a work mobile phone iphone with a data plan.
    I do not have adsl at home.
    I have multiple devices at home which require LAN connections and all are connected to a 16 port switch and router.
    Currently i come home, remove the sim card from my iphone, place it in a USB dongle and plug it into my TP-Link MR3420 to enable my devices to connect to the net using static ip's.This works perfectly
    I would like to be able to come home and wifi or USB my phone to a router which i can plug into my switch to enable my devices to connect,Id like to enable static ip's for my devices in this router as i can when i use the dongle.
    I am willing to buy another router capable of doing this if i was advised which router and firmware version could do this. I just want to do the same as i can without the need to remove the sim constantly to place it in a dongle.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Easily done with the Router you have if it is a V1 or V2.
    Connection will be USB to iPhone.

You will need a third party firmware, a version of OPENwrt
    Firmware sent in PM.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-11-15 at 07:37 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

you could use one of these jeff >
    some tips here >

Thanks

Thank you to all who responded. I thought id give an update on the fix for this issue.
    My problem was that i dont have ADSL at home but do have various LAN only devices with only an Iphone with generous data plan for internet.
    After flashing various types of aftermarket firmwares all with mixed results i ended up purchasing a D-Link WDR-116.
    It basically worked straight out of the box. It enabled me to plug my iphone in via USB, select teather and wolloh, every device had access.
    Very simple to use, I just walk into the house, plug the iphone into the USB cable connected to the WDR-116, and walk away.

As Murphys law will have it, a week ago work replaced my iphone with an S6 !!

For sale WDR-116 $50.00

Solution for new Android phone is Asus RT-AC68U, pricey but does the same as above only for android.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Essentially there was no need to do any of that or purchase new hardware.
    You had all you needed to get the job done.

I've been walking into the house and sharing my phone's internet to the my entire house for 7 or 8 years now.
    Both via ever Wifi Tether (you can still walk around using the phone) or USB tether (your phone gets charged)

On top of that, the firmware i linked for you doesn't even care what modem you use 95% of the time.
    (so changing handsets, as it seems has happened for you, makes no difference at all)

Saves buying new hardware every time
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-01-16 at 02:53 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!