Thread: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt.2

Thanks

Default The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt.2

When The Hunger Games was released in 2012, I was not too enamoured with it. It was representative of what I call the "Twilightification" of movies - movies portraying conflict starring harmless pretty teenagers; with their perfectly mussed hair and designer scratches and bruises meticulously applied by the makeup department; their petty teen anxieties dwarfing the larger conflict at hand.

In days past, films like this starred rugged, blood, sweat and guts types like Arnold Schwarzenegger (The Running Man), Sylvester Stallone (Rambo), Rutger Hauer (Wedlock) and, most notably in this case, Takeshi Kitano (Battle Royale). Indeed, the whole teenage cast of Battle Royale were more convincingly unhinged and dangerous than the pretty nubile stars of The Hunger Games who looked like they could never harm anyone.

The sequel, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, predictably followed with the "bigger is better" formula by pitting our hero, Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence), with previous Games champions in another sterile death match.

Last year's Mockingjay Pt.1 was met with derision from some Hunger fans claiming nothing happened in it. Actually quite a bit happened in it, it was just mostly devoid of the insipid sci-fi fantasy action faux violence of it's attention seeking siblings; replaced instead with psychological drama and a political narrative which marked a distinct maturation of the franchise. I like it. I liked it a lot.

Now Mockingjay Pt.2 balances the best of both worlds and brings the story to a fitting close. It includes Games-style action for the fans but it's primary focus remains throughout on the story's dramatic core and it's associated political mechanic.

In conclusion, the film ends in a secure finality which admirably hints not a jot at any further installments. It's a film which is comfortable and quietly confident in the story it has told and it is prepared to leave it at that - a rare commodity indeed in today's Hollywood.

8 out of 10

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slickstu For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-12-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

my daughter was a big fan and went and watched it , i asked her how good
    was it and she said forget dvd-blueray wait till it comes out on tv.

she said it was slow and boring for the first hour and finished with a whimper
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Only lasted half the show and switched off
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"